Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old December 14, 2013, 23:48   #71
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
No moody dwarf will require a brick. Check the demands part of the article to work out what you need. Does he require blocks? They are made of stone at the mason's workshop.
I don't see where he can't require a brick? He clearly demands cloth... thread... blocks... bricks... bones... yes.... Oh, now I see it.

The wiki says that bricks refer to kilned clay creations, so I'm was going with the notion that's what he wants. After reading the link you provided, and checking the workshop with the 't' key, I think he needs a jet block, which I should have, and I do have, WTF. I'm beginning to wonder is if "yes" is going to make itself known as another unavailable demand once the bricks are provided. I'm more confused now than before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	df.png
Views:	123
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1083  
Old December 15, 2013, 08:56   #72
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
In your screenshot the jet is the material the workshop is made from.
Blocks have to be produced at a masons workshop from rock. Just add a task to make blocks from rock. (The material shouldn't be relevant, any blocks should do).
Also, do you have cloth and thread? If so, sometimes the material is important, he may want either plant, wool, or silk cloth and thread.

Last edited by Mondkalb; December 15, 2013 at 09:01.
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013, 13:47   #73
buzzkill
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Blocks have to be produced at a masons workshop from rock. Just add a task to make blocks from rock. (The material shouldn't be relevant, any blocks should do).
Also, do you have cloth and thread? If so, sometimes the material is important, he may want either plant, wool, or silk cloth and thread.
I have block of just about every kind of stone material (that I've encountered). I don't have wood blocks. I do have thread and cloth but I didn't produce them myself, so there's not likely to be any more varieties popping up in the near future.
Old December 15, 2013, 14:14   #74
Mondkalb
Knight

Do you have a hospital? Sometimes the dwarfs store huge amounts of thread and cloth in the hospital making it unavailable for other uses.

As a last resort you could use the showmood command from dfhack to reveal what he needs. (Dfhack comes with the lazy newb pack, the command window is automatically opened upon start of DF.)
Old December 15, 2013, 16:16   #75
buzzkill
Prophet

He went insane and killed a fellow dwarf. Killed him quick too, one shot. He didn't last long after that. The militia turned him into a bloody mess on the floor. I guess all the cloth and thread I was in trade negotiations for is for naught.
Old December 15, 2013, 17:16   #76
Mondkalb
Knight

To prevent killings, some players place their workshops in little rooms which can easily be bricked up. So, in possessed mood cases where demands can't be fullfilled, it's time for the Amontillado Treatment.

Oh, and don't forget to bury your dead or make slabs. You don't want your fortress be haunted by ghosts.

Last edited by Mondkalb; December 15, 2013 at 17:22.
Old December 16, 2013, 12:02   #77
LostTemplar
Knight

LostTemplar is on a distinguished road
Slabs, yes, third most important thing after bees and golden roads, make a lot of them in advance, it is a good way to use extra stone.
LostTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013, 06:11   #78
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
DF related - I have a friend who regularly livestreams Dwarf Fortress with commentary and chat interaction at http://www.twitch.tv/viewtifulrexx .

Schedule: "I currently stream Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 9 PM to 1 AM Eastern Standard Time."
Old December 22, 2013, 18:05   #79
buzzkill
Prophet

My fortress continues. Lost a ton of progress due to a computer crash and it took me a while to get back into it. Seriously thought about abandoning the game a starting fresh but in the end I just hacked my way back into it. Doing a lot of above ground fortification now. Still haven't quite figured trading out, but I am learning what doesn't work. Yes, I read the wiki, and then I "Offered" up all my trade goods, and then I realized what I had done. Oh well, there's always next year.

Is the DF UI intentionally bad, to discourage casual players, or has it just NEVER EVER been refined at all? In some instances it's almost as if it was written be someone with a limited comprehension of the English language, or minimalist de-bugging type language. I'd think that clarifying many of the prompts would be a simple as rewriting a single line of code. I can't imagine why some things haven't been cleaned up.

Dwarf Therapist question. Is there a way to freeze the first column, the names, so they don't scroll off the screen when scrolling to the right. Also, is there a way to lock the order of the names so they are the ordered the same on every tab (the most recent sorting)? DT seems to do this somewhat, usually the first few names are the same, but then it gets funky. I can't find an option to set to fix this.
Old December 22, 2013, 18:26   #80
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Is the DF UI intentionally bad, to discourage casual players, or has it just NEVER EVER been refined at all? In some instances it's almost as if it was written be someone with a limited comprehension of the English language, or minimalist de-bugging type language. I'd think that clarifying many of the prompts would be a simple as rewriting a single line of code. I can't imagine why some things haven't been cleaned up.
As I understand it, the creator basically only ever implements the bare minimum to get the new functionality to be "usable", because the stuff he finds most interesting is the underlying model, and he doesn't actually care much about playing the resulting game. For the longest time you could only build walls and floors and so on one tile at a time, for example. Imagine constructing a huge fortification that way; you'd get RSI in no time.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote