Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old March 22, 2016, 01:42   #21
redlumf
Scout

redlumf is on a distinguished road
Another way would be to support sdl-sound subsystem in all platforms (and then use ogg)

Other than that, what Nick suggested about both includiong mp3 and ogg, would probably work.

You could have it, each platform trying to use platform_sound.cfg and then fall back to sound.cfg if not found. So you wouldn't had any osx_sound.cfg and windows_sound.cfg files (so fallback to sound.cfg) and you would have a linux_sound.cfg where it would use .ogg
redlumf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2016, 03:28   #22
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlumf View Post
Other than that, what Nick suggested about both including mp3 and ogg, would probably work.

You could have it, each platform trying to use platform_sound.cfg and then fall back to sound.cfg if not found. So you wouldn't had any osx_sound.cfg and windows_sound.cfg files (so fallback to sound.cfg) and you would have a linux_sound.cfg where it would use .ogg
Something like this sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyt16384 View Post
I didn't know that will work... I assumed it only works with -msdl.
I believe sdl sound works with the other linux display modules (gcu and x11) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
At one point, sound and gfx were separate downloads. Maybe go back to that? The gfx in particular mean that multiple pulls both take a long time on slow connections AND use a lot of space. (And the space I doubled by source control since images and sound are not further compressible.
I'm reluctant to do this, not least because Shockbolt graphics are now the default on Windows. I think making things more convenient for players at the expense of developers is a good trade
Old March 23, 2016, 03:13   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Nick--it doesn't have to affect exe downloads; they can perfectly well include the sound and gfx. It's the 60 download for git I object to most, and that is only an issue for development, not playing. 60MB 1Mbit is a significant wait.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016, 15:52   #24
calris
Adept

calris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlumf View Post
I just posted an alternative solution

For platforms that support multiple file formats (and possibly multiple sound libraries) sound.cfg can simply define the file format and OS sound library to use
calris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016, 15:54   #25
calris
Adept

calris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Nick--it doesn't have to affect exe downloads; they can perfectly well include the sound and gfx. It's the 60 download for git I object to most, and that is only an issue for development, not playing. 60MB 1Mbit is a significant wait.
Agree - I don't think the sound files should be in git (or at the very least, put them in a separate git repository so devs generating installers are all working of a common set of sound files)
calris is offline   Reply With Quote