Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old May 14, 2007, 07:00   #1
Chris Wesling
Rookie

Chris Wesling is on a distinguished road
Feature request - auto-id when destroyed?

Something I would like to see, out of my own curiosity, would be that when you destroy an object, the game tells you exactly what the item was, even if you hadn't identified it. For example, as you destroy the Filthy Rag you didn't bother to identify, it says "You destroy a Filthy Rag of Resistance [-1,+5]" instead of simply "You destroy a Filthy Rag".

The knowledge won't give you any game advantage, since you just destroyed the object, but it would satisfy my curiosity and perhaps prove educational as well (who knew there were so many enchanted Filthy Rags at 1200 feet?) I might get a little paranoid about destroying un-ID'd items, though!

This should probably be an option, so as not to distract the players who honestly don't care, or don't like anything that makes the messages longer. Maybe even something you can only enable from wizard mode or debug mode.

(Incidentally, I know wizard mode prevents your score from being added to the score list, but does debug mode have the same penalty?)
Chris Wesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 22:31   #2
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
I like this ideas very much, just as the "Instant pseudo-id" idea of andrewdoull. It is especially nice for vaults for newbies, when you see 30 excellent items at once for the first time in your life, but you have no ID so you have to destroy half of them and you keep wondering how stupid your choices actually were.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 07:39   #3
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wesling View Post
The knowledge won't give you any game advantage, since you just destroyed the object.
This can definately have some game influence, for example, if you hit a level with a high level feeling, and then you destroy an object that turns out to be really great, you could infer that it was probably that object that caused the level feeling.

Also, what happens if you destroy an un-id'ed potion, etc? You would get a free id from that (much in the same way that you can sell stuff in stores to id it for free), except that you wouldn't have to take the trouble of lugging it back to the town.

Themeatically, I suppose the justification for iding stuff is that you can figure out what an object is made of by taking it apart, however, you don't know how to put it back together again!
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 09:17   #4
CJNyfalt
Swordsman

CJNyfalt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Also, what happens if you destroy an un-id'ed potion, etc? You would get a free id from that (much in the same way that you can sell stuff in stores to id it for free), except that you wouldn't have to take the trouble of lugging it back to the town.
Have it only work on armor and weapon, not consumables and devices.
CJNyfalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 04:28   #5
Chris Wesling
Rookie

Chris Wesling is on a distinguished road
Hmm, good point; I hadn't thought about the effect on potions, scrolls, wands, etc. I think CJNyfalt's solution, have it only work on armor and weapons, would be the way to go. I was originally thinking of armor and weapons anyway when I proposed it, since each of those items can be different from all the other ones you've found or will find of that type.
Chris Wesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 19:23   #6
Nolendil
Adept

Donated: 10 euro
Nolendil is on a distinguished road
Note that it would still allow to id ammos for free when destroying only one item from the stack
Nolendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 19:37   #7
Faust
Adept

Faust is on a distinguished road
Exceptions would have to be made to avoid scumming.
Diego has written a patch to do this and other things in NPP.
http://nppangband.tannert.name/viewtopic.php?pid=1801
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 18:57   #8
Fuma
Adept

Fuma is on a distinguished road
I, on the other hand, like the way it is now. It saves me a lot of annoyance if I don't know whether the item was good or not. That way I can think "Nah. It was just junk." and not smack myself in the head after I destroy those boots of speed :P
Fuma is offline   Reply With Quote