Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2015, 05:28   #1
werepacman
Scout
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
werepacman is on a distinguished road
Drop rule?

My first character slow diver had many unique and ego items from the start.
Second character dived faster and returned to kill uniques - but they dropped only by 1 magical useless item. When slow diver had many items to choose from.

Are there any factors which influence drop? Like maximum depth and level of character? Number of previously attampts?
Or is drop completely random and this is coincidence.

Thanks!
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015, 06:21   #2
Carnivean
Knight
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 526
Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Your depth and the native depth of the monster are factors in the quality of drops, but the biggest factor is the random number generator.

Don't go back up the dungeon to kill lower level uniques. Deeper levels have better items, and Morgoth will summon uniques to the last battle, so the lower level uniques will appear and be less dangerous.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015, 06:21   #3
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by werepacman View Post
My first character slow diver had many unique and ego items from the start.
Second character dived faster and returned to kill uniques - but they dropped only by 1 magical useless item. When slow diver had many items to choose from.

Are there any factors which influence drop? Like maximum depth and level of character? Number of previously attampts?
Or is drop completely random and this is coincidence.

Thanks!
The "level" used for the drop is the maximum of (monster's level, average(monster's level, current dungeon level)). Unique monsters get bonus chances to generate artifacts, if I recall correctly. Certain monsters also have a bias towards specific items, like enemy priests being more likely to drop the town prayer books, but I don't think any of these biases grant equipment (just inventory items).

In short, I suspect you're seeing patterns where none exist. The human brain is very good at this.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015, 15:10   #4
werepacman
Scout
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
werepacman is on a distinguished road
OK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
In short, I suspect you're seeing patterns where none exist. The human brain is very good at this.
Exactly what I thought but need to check.
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015, 18:44   #5
Tibarius
Swordsman
 
Tibarius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 50
Posts: 399
Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
re: drops

I always had the Feeling the Player Level does influence the Drops somehow.
Play a few times from DL 1 to DL 40 with a new char and with a CL 40 char. I have the Feeling the Drops are better with the CL 40 char.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2015, 20:12   #6
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
I always had the Feeling the Player Level does influence the Drops somehow.
Play a few times from DL 1 to DL 40 with a new char and with a CL 40 char. I have the Feeling the Drops are better with the CL 40 char.
And you're wrong.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 15:24   #7
werepacman
Scout
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
werepacman is on a distinguished road
I want to figure out what monsters are best to clone.

I received artifacts from different vampires: common, lord, master.
They are not common habitants.
However about 10 ancient dragons, and risked with Greater Maia (abouve its native depth) and they didn't droped any artifacts only 1 ego.

Does different non-unique monsters have different drop quality?
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015, 15:55   #8
werepacman
Scout
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 46
werepacman is on a distinguished road
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
The item level a monster will drop is max(monster level, average(monster level, dungeon level)). In other words, if the monster is out-of-depth (i.e. normally shows up deeper), then items will be dropped as if at the monster's normal level. However, if the monster is weak for its depth (i.e. normally shows up shallower), then items will be dropped as if at the average of the monster's level and the current dungeon level.
Does the same system works for unique monsters? Or they have their own item generation probability (independent from dungeon level). I ask because I often met monsters too weak for their depth and don't know should I kill them or not.
werepacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2015, 16:10   #9
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by werepacman View Post
Does the same system works for unique monsters? Or they have their own item generation probability (independent from dungeon level). I ask because I often met monsters too weak for their depth and don't know should I kill them or not.
Unique monsters get some kind of bonus to their drops to make them more likely to drop artifacts, if I recall correctly. I don't know what exactly the logic is though.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best townsperson drop? Bogatyr Vanilla 5 February 6, 2015 11:26
Best Maggot drop ever ? Estie Vanilla 20 February 9, 2011 05:43
The best drop I've ever seen Ycombinator AAR 10 June 14, 2010 06:43
*** no rule to make target JDTAY Development 9 March 3, 2010 20:58
great drop nobody Vanilla 4 August 5, 2009 16:55


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.