AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old September 23, 2013, 13:35   #101
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
I will when I can! Busy few days again. One quick question, though: What is the "Slaying" skill on a death sword? Pretty sure I picked up a few essences of that when I drained an armageddon weapon.
It will give you a 1d bonus on your sword.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013, 13:24   #102
Brouhaha
Scout

Brouhaha is on a distinguished road
Now that is a skill! Moot point, though, as the RNG hit me with a Dweller before I had FA or confusion resist. I'm going to roll up a Yeek zerker to cleanse the palette.
Brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2013, 14:15   #103
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

chris is on a distinguished road
Just an update for anybody grabbing and compiling source code:

* The 2.0 release is winding down. Any subsequent changes/releases will no longer be on the master branch, but will be on this branch instead.

* It is probably not good practice, but the 3.0 release is being committed to master even though it is not ready to go. I've broken savefile compatibility, and will continue to do so for a bit. I'll make an announcement when 3.0 is playable, but of course, if you want to try out some of the new stuff early (and give feedback), feel free

EDIT: My target for having a new release ready is the Christmas/New Year holiday. Changes are going to be very extensive!
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2013, 14:24   #104
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
Yay for extensive changes and progress to round out 2013!
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013, 17:47   #105
Brouhaha
Scout

Brouhaha is on a distinguished road
A suggested change!:

Magic Eaters are a fun class. There's always the next rod/staff/wand to absorb so the quest to grab stuff off the floor is never ending. What they lack is what makes the Mauler and similar classes even more fun: class powers!

I'm not asking for anything that would upset their balance, at least I don't think so. I'd like to see powers that let you do more damage at the cost of (many) charges or a LOT more damage at the cost of all of a spell's charges. It'd be interesting if you could force a bolt spell to become a beam or cone, maybe at the cost of 5 or 10 charges instead of the usual 1. Or force a bolt to become a ball for 10 charges or a larger ball for 20. Utility staves could have their area of affect increased or used even when your character is scared. Heh, I'd be happy to have a staff of starlight actually aim at nearby creatures for extra cost.

You could drain the ALL of the charges for ALL wand powers if you really want a good level 50 "nova" ability. Or you could permanently drain charges (99 out of 99? Nah, more like 74 out of 74 now!) for the most powerful abilities.

My thought was that you would activate a power, "Wand Beam" for example, and you would be given your offensive wand powers. Choose Frost Bolt and you would automatically get a beam effect while 5 charges get drained.

Powers that don't drain charges would cost hit points. Rapid Rod Recharge could cost you 5 HP and cut the recharge time for any rod power by half. Instant Rod Recharge could cost 10 or 15 HP and not drain a charge from the rod power that you select.

Cool powers, the ability to feel strong for a turn or two, but at a cost that just might get you killed on turn three
Brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2013, 19:58   #106
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
A suggested change!:

Magic Eaters are a fun class. There's always the next rod/staff/wand to absorb so the quest to grab stuff off the floor is never ending. What they lack is what makes the Mauler and similar classes even more fun: class powers!

I'm not asking for anything that would upset their balance, at least I don't think so. I'd like to see powers that let you do more damage at the cost of (many) charges or a LOT more damage at the cost of all of a spell's charges. It'd be interesting if you could force a bolt spell to become a beam or cone, maybe at the cost of 5 or 10 charges instead of the usual 1. Or force a bolt to become a ball for 10 charges or a larger ball for 20. Utility staves could have their area of affect increased or used even when your character is scared. Heh, I'd be happy to have a staff of starlight actually aim at nearby creatures for extra cost.

You could drain the ALL of the charges for ALL wand powers if you really want a good level 50 "nova" ability. Or you could permanently drain charges (99 out of 99? Nah, more like 74 out of 74 now!) for the most powerful abilities.

My thought was that you would activate a power, "Wand Beam" for example, and you would be given your offensive wand powers. Choose Frost Bolt and you would automatically get a beam effect while 5 charges get drained.

Powers that don't drain charges would cost hit points. Rapid Rod Recharge could cost you 5 HP and cut the recharge time for any rod power by half. Instant Rod Recharge could cost 10 or 15 HP and not drain a charge from the rod power that you select.

Cool powers, the ability to feel strong for a turn or two, but at a cost that just might get you killed on turn three

I'll certainly consider your ideas ... You might consider trying the Devicemaster class. Though more focused than the Magiceater, they have a few cool abilities, including a desperation talent that grants extra power at the expense of using extra charges or possibly destroying the device in question. They can also shuffle charges around from one device to another which is quite useful. In addition, they have powers of preservation so that usage of specialty devices do not always consume charges, and this grows more powerful with experience.
Old October 5, 2013, 09:50   #107
clouded
Adept

clouded is on a distinguished road
I'm not a fan of the change a few versions back to make the wilderness encounter rate higher. It makes traveling to the towns much more of a chore than it needs to be, especially if you are going through a string of early deaths. The ambushes aren't even dangerous unless you try to shortcut through water or something.
clouded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2013, 13:01   #108
Arjen
Adept

Arjen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
I'm not a fan of the change a few versions back to make the wilderness encounter rate higher. It makes traveling to the towns much more of a chore than it needs to be, especially if you are going through a string of early deaths. The ambushes aren't even dangerous unless you try to shortcut through water or something.
I second this, maybe reduce the amount of ambushes on the roads and keep them in the forests/swaps/water/mountains where actual ambushes are more likely to happen.
Arjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2013, 17:34   #109
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjen View Post
I second this, maybe reduce the amount of ambushes on the roads and keep them in the forests/swaps/water/mountains where actual ambushes are more likely to happen.
Ditto. Chris increased the number of ambushes to prevent players from start-scumming 'Acquirement' at Mt Olympus for artifacts.
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2013, 00:00   #110
chris
PosChengband Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouded View Post
At what experience level are you heading out into the wilderness?

Like everyone above, I too found Hengband's ambush system annoying and nerfed it for Chengband. But in so doing, I made it far too easy to run over to R'lyeh (and now Mount Olympus) with scrolls of acquirement and artifact creation. *Way* too easy ... Back in Hengband, that was always risky, and I've even lost CL50 characters to deep water ambushes. Taking the risk with the Arena acquirement scroll, for example, required some boldness, and sometimes the return trip after an amazing acquisition would prove fatal: Grrrrrr.

So I reverted the ambush odds for the time being when I learned that even a CL1 character can swim to Mount Olympus with barely any risk.

Here is advice on playing with the current system:

[1] Don't travel with early characters. You can level up quickly by doing the Thieves' Hideout followed by the Warg quest. This should net at least CL10. Another 10 minutes of play in Camelot is recommended to hit CL16. At this point, you are immune to ambush if you stay on the grassland roads ('*' characters in w_info.txt, if you are curious). There are more dangerous roads up near Angwil and between the mountains too.

[2] And now for the munchkin option. If you are ambushed by really weak stuff, you can often just press '<' to run away! So often you don't have to fight at all ... but this option is only practical once you are CL12 or higher.

[3] Stealth matters. Time of day does not.

That said, I would love something new for the wilderness and am open to ideas, even if they will probably exceed my coding capabilities ...