Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 27, 2013, 18:17   #1
Bombadil
Rookie

Bombadil is on a distinguished road
Game Turns, Standard Turn, Resting Turns

I am just curious about the different classifications of turns and how they relate.

I am guessing that Game Turns = (FACTOR)(standard turns + resting turns)

where I again guess that FACTOR is related to your character's speed.

For example my current character

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=14060

Has 63k standard turns, 34k resting turns, and 715k game turns.

So roughly standard turns + resting turns = 100k and game turns is about 700k giving a FACTOR of 7.

I'm just curious if anyone who understands these turn classifications could explain the relationship more definitively.

Last edited by Bombadil; February 27, 2013 at 18:30.
Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013, 18:43   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You're not quite right.

Game turns are absolute in-game time -- you could represent them as days:hours:minutes:seconds instead if you wanted to (If I recall correctly, there are 200k game turns in a day, though I could well be wrong).

Standard turns are how many times your character got an opportunity to take an action. The relationship between standard turns and game turns depends on how fast your character is; at normal speed there's 10 game turns per standard turn, at +10 it's 5:1, etc.

Resting turns, I believe, are simply how many standard turns you spent using the R command.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013, 18:55   #3
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You're not quite right.

Game turns are absolute in-game time -- you could represent them as days:hours:minutes:seconds instead if you wanted to (If I recall correctly, there are 200k game turns in a day, though I could well be wrong).

Standard turns are how many times your character got an opportunity to take an action. The relationship between standard turns and game turns depends on how fast your character is; at normal speed there's 10 game turns per standard turn, at +10 it's 5:1, etc.

Resting turns, I believe, are simply how many standard turns you spent using the R command.
I think it would be great to have those game turns and resting turns displayed in-game as days:hours:minutes:seconds. Standard turns could be called 'Number player turns' or some compact version of that. It would probably make more sense to people that way.
Old February 27, 2013, 19:50   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You're not quite right.

Spot on.

@OP: this additional complexity (three turncounts instead of one) was done for the benefit of competitions, which often use "fastest win" or "experience / turns" as a win metric. The problem with the original single turncount was that the winner would be whoever found the best early +speed item, which is obviously not what people want to measure. So "standard turns" were introduced to be a more accurate measure for comps.

"resting turns" were an interesting and easy way to discern playstyles - the higher the proportion of the total number of standard turns, the more conservative / cautious the play style.

What I really wanted to do was add "town turns" because I spend FAR too much time in town, but I never got round to it.