Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 30, 2017, 18:46   #51
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
The AC penalty on Doomcaller isn't important. You may want something else for Sauron if you can find a big acid brand, but it'll probably be close enough as makes no tangible difference. That aside, once you can handle the aggravation, and assuming you don't have some other important hole to fill in the weapon slot, it's the only choice.

And once you're tough enough to stop playing the stealth game, aggro can be a welcome change.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017, 21:17   #52
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post

As long as I remember, I don't think I've ever found a PDSM in Angband. And almost every post I see, people show *ego* PDSMs...
wow. I used to see posts about it often and wonder what it was. I had never found one before 4.0.5 and now I've gotten at least three. Never seen the one ring or boots of faenor, though.

Derakon, I am not seeing +20.... where are you seeing this?
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017, 21:28   #53
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
wow. I used to see posts about it often and wonder what it was. I had never found one before 4.0.5 and now I've gotten at least three. Never seen the one ring or boots of faenor, though.

Derakon, I am not seeing +20.... where are you seeing this?
You were at +19 while 6 pounds overburdened, which should have been penalizing your speed by 1. Ergo if you ditch 6 pounds, the speed penalty should have disappeared, leaving you at +20. Right?

Has anyone run stats on item generation in 4.0.5? It's possible that it's been skewed again.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017, 23:08   #54
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
You were at +19 while 6 pounds overburdened, which should have been penalizing your speed by 1. Ergo if you ditch 6 pounds, the speed penalty should have disappeared, leaving you at +20. Right?

Has anyone run stats on item generation in 4.0.5? It's possible that it's been skewed again.
I also rarely got rings of power and I get them almost every game in 4.0.5.

Derakon, I checked my character again and he is currently at +17 and 41lbs. overburdened. So being underburdened would bring him to +19. I see in the dump I was -6.0lbs which I think means I had 6.0lbs to spare before becoming overweight.
Old January 31, 2017, 02:20   #55
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I see in the dump I was -6.0lbs which I think means I had 6.0lbs to spare before becoming overweight.
Oh, well, that's not confusing at all! Sorry for the misdirection.
Old February 2, 2017, 22:32   #56
Grotug
Knight

I'm back to playing High Elf Warrior and I crushed a Basilisk with a katana of frost, a ring of reckless attacks and a ring of accuracy (+14, +0). Not too much later I found a ring of dexterity which significantly brought up the damage on my katana (2.0 blows to 2.3 blows), so I swapped out the =Accuracy for it. I gained a few levels and encountered another Basilisk. I figured this should go well. I nearly died bringing him to 40% health; phased away, !CCW and still didn't do much damage and had to ?phase again. I don't recall how much the ring of accuracy improved the damage when I put it on, but my experience is that the game shows that a normal ring of accuracy like mine improves damage per round by around 1% or 2%, but this clearly does not seem to be the case as I'm doing less damage with a ring of DEX <+3> than I was with a ring of Accuracy. Unfortunately, I dropped the ring of accuracy so I could swap it out for the reckless attacks to finish the job. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone melee with rings of accuracy?

edit: I also didn't check chance to hit when I had the ring of accuracy on, but without it my chance to hit the Basilisk is 66%.
Old February 2, 2017, 22:35   #57
Derakon
Prophet

Your sample size is 2, your perceived antipattern may well not exist. The difference between an easy fight and a hard one comes down to RNG more than to minor variations in gear.

That said, =Accuracy is a pretty garbage ring. It has a minimal effect on your hit rate and critical hit rate, the latter being what improves your listed damage when inspecting the weapon. I'd wear =DEX (+1) over =Accuracy, if only for the DEX sustain. But plenty of other rings would be even better.
Old February 2, 2017, 23:27   #58
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
according to the game, you do less damage with a ring of slaying (+12,+9) than with a ring of damage (+0,+10).
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017, 23:35   #59
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
That is misleading. You're improved hit rate will more than make up 1 HP/ blow. And for a big dice heavy weapon, there will be more damage up front, even ignoring hit rate.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017, 00:20   #60
Grotug
Knight

I've always sort of operated with the generalization that +10 hit equals about +1 dam. I wonder if rings of accuracy aren't more effective against opponents with higher AC than say opponents you normally have a 79% chance to hit? But I think the 66% vs the Basilisk the first time would only have gone up to like 68% with the +14, +0 ring. I was about two CL higher when I fought the basilisk the second time, so that also increases my chance to hit him (should probably be greater than what the ring would have provided two CLs earlier).