Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 9, 2021, 15:46   #1
robinjohnson
Scout

robinjohnson is on a distinguished road
Tactical strike

Didn't want to leave this vault unlooted on level 39. Unfortunately it contained a Great Worm of Chaos at almost the exact centre, which is an it-breathes-you-die for me without Chaos resistance. (*Of course* I have an elven armour with CR in my home, and of course that's the resistance I chose to forgo in my kit shuffle before beaming down to this very level.) Cleared out the rest of the level, including the Balrog of Moria and a smaller vault with four capital D's, but found no anti-Chaos gear or Banishment.

So it's down to digging myself exactly 15 squares away from the GWOC and using my Staff of *Destruction*. Let's hope the remaining three quarters of the vault are worth it.

(Sorry about the bad image quality, the attachment thingy said it had to be inside 620x280, and then seems to have converted my png to a jpg)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	angband-tactical-strike.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	2063  

Last edited by robinjohnson; November 9, 2021 at 16:03.
robinjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2021, 18:20   #2
sffp
Adept

sffp is on a distinguished road
Sadly, my guess is that most of those walls are Perma- and won't be affected by your *Destruction*
Sometimes it's best just to walk away...
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2021, 19:26   #3
robinjohnson
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sffp View Post
Sadly, my guess is that most of those walls are Perma- and won't be affected by your *Destruction*
Sometimes it's best just to walk away...
The perma-walls weren't affected, but as the screenshot shows, the monsters and objects in range vanished and new walls/minerals got placed as usual.
Old November 9, 2021, 19:38   #4
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
That map has 2 cells in the center, sealed by granite walls. You could have looted all the vault and just let the cell containing the wyrm untouched.

Looking more closely, it seems the wyrm is not contained in a cell - however, the map is yin-yang like shaped and you can loot one half.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2021, 21:13   #5
robinjohnson
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
That map has 2 cells in the center, sealed by granite walls. You could have looted all the vault and just let the cell containing the wyrm untouched.

Looking more closely, it seems the wyrm is not contained in a cell - however, the map is yin-yang like shaped and you can loot one half.
The screenshot is from right after I zapped the staff, so the wyrm is already gone. You might be right - it would have been directly north of me, at the top point of the destroyed area, in a cell opposite Ar-Pharazon (who I didn't let out.) I was afraid of granite-chomping beasties letting it out, though. I seem to be remember it being directly adjacent to other monsters before the blast, but I could be wrong.
Old November 9, 2021, 21:18   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinjohnson View Post
(Sorry about the bad image quality, the attachment thingy said it had to be inside 620x280, and then seems to have converted my png to a jpg)
The best thing to do is take a screenshot with ')' and post it to the screenshot gallery.
Old November 10, 2021, 08:04   #7
kineahora
Scout

kineahora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The screenshot is from right after I zapped the staff, so the wyrm is already gone. You might be right - it would have been directly north of me, at the top point of the destroyed area, in a cell opposite Ar-Pharazon (who I didn't let out.) I was afraid of granite-chomping beasties letting it out, though. I seem to be remember it being directly adjacent to other monsters before the blast, but I could be wrong.
So are ya gonna tell us what loot you got?

I'm guessing since you havent already stated it, Narya, PDSM, a big ring of speed, Ringil, and Feanor were not among the prizes
kineahora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2021, 12:25   #8
robinjohnson
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineahora View Post
So are ya gonna tell us what loot you got?

I'm guessing since you havent already stated it, Narya, PDSM, a big ring of speed, Ringil, and Feanor were not among the prizes
The Trident of Ulmo, the first time I've seen it - in a mage game, of course, but even so it's made melee nothing to worry about it (418.4 vs dragons, 321.6 vs animals, 224.8 vs others)

Belthronding - I make my own missile attacks and don't want to spend an inventory slot on mundane ammo, but the speed and stealth bonuses are nice

And some Ethereal Slippers of Speed <+5>, which I've since upgraded to <+8> Steel Shod Boots of Speed.

Didn't get Wizard's Tome of Power, though, which I'm basically in slot machine mode for now. In my last mage game it got dropped by some apprentice on about D5, then much later I got breathed to death by Carcharoth in a vault. Didn't know he could breathe Sound.

Current status: XL42, max depth L50, speed 16, still wielding Ulmo (just found Aglarang, which is tempting for the +5 speed, but the immunity and bonkers damage makes Ulmo a keeper, I think; Wrath, Anduril and Taratol at home); wearing an Amulet of Trickery with +2 speed, Metal Scale Mail of Elvenkind with Chaos, Cloak of Protection, Small Metal Shield of Elvenkind with Sound, Hammerhand, Cammithrim, and the +8 speed boots, rings of Speed +6 and Constitution +5; 546 HP, 239 SP; now in town shuffling my gear to see if I can keep all the resistances *and* wear this Helm of Telepathy I just found.
Old November 11, 2021, 06:13   #9
kineahora
Scout

kineahora is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Trident of Ulmo, the first time I've seen it - in a mage game, of course, but even so it's made melee nothing to worry about it (418.4 vs dragons, 321.6 vs animals, 224.8 vs others)

Belthronding - I make my own missile attacks and don't want to spend an inventory slot on mundane ammo, but the speed and stealth bonuses are nice

And some Ethereal Slippers of Speed <+5>, which I've since upgraded to <+8> Steel Shod Boots of Speed.

Didn't get Wizard's Tome of Power, though, which I'm basically in slot machine mode for now. In my last mage game it got dropped by some apprentice on about D5, then much later I got breathed to death by Carcharoth in a vault. Didn't know he could breathe Sound.

Current status: XL42, max depth L50, speed 16, still wielding Ulmo (just found Aglarang, which is tempting for the +5 speed, but the immunity and bonkers damage makes Ulmo a keeper, I think; Wrath, Anduril and Taratol at home); wearing an Amulet of Trickery with +2 speed, Metal Scale Mail of Elvenkind with Chaos, Cloak of Protection, Small Metal Shield of Elvenkind with Sound, Hammerhand, Cammithrim, and the +8 speed boots, rings of Speed +6 and Constitution +5; 546 HP, 239 SP; now in town shuffling my gear to see if I can keep all the resistances *and* wear this Helm of Telepathy I just found.
I seem to be finding Aglarang a lot, current paladin is wielding it. It's GREAT for paladins since you just cast *slay evil* spell and **Slay demon** makes Greater Balrogs go poof!

You got Ulmo, Belthronding and +5 speed slippers--that is a *nice* haul at 39!! totally worth the thought and the tac-nuke! Don't think I have found Ulmo in years. Have never found Deathwreaker, bladeturner, razorback. Been many many years since I found Ringil or Fingolfin, or one of my fave weapons: Aule!
kineahora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2021, 13:19   #10
robinjohnson
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineahora View Post
I seem to be finding Aglarang a lot, current paladin is wielding it. It's GREAT for paladins since you just cast *slay evil* spell and **Slay demon** makes Greater Balrogs go poof!

You got Ulmo, Belthronding and +5 speed slippers--that is a *nice* haul at 39!! totally worth the thought and the tac-nuke! Don't think I have found Ulmo in years. Have never found Deathwreaker, bladeturner, razorback. Been many many years since I found Ringil or Fingolfin, or one of my fave weapons: Aule!
In my first win I found Power Dragon Scale Mail in the first few levels, which I had no idea was an ultra-rarity until I read it in some back-post on here.

This game, I've now switched back to the Trident of Wrath after finding the shield of Thorin, and got all my stats and ESP thanks to Thranduil. Still can't juggle things to wield Taratol and have two immunities. Of course, whenever I throw something out to save space in my house, it turns out to be exactly what would combo with the next artefact I find...