AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 7, 2011, 19:59   #21
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tametick View Post
I think the concept is great but my main issue is that I think QB didn't go far enough - 12 levels is a good depth but the levels are still pointlessly *huge*, the challenging (and interesting) part of the game did not manifest itself in the first 10-15 minutes of play, the interface is arcane...

All of these are basically angband's fault of course and not quickband's.

or maybe I need QuickerBand personally.
Do you know, I think if you want a game that plays in minutes rather than hours, then Quickband is probably not your bag. You want a coffee break roguelike. Personally I like Desktop Dungeons for this purpose, but I know there are other good very short games around...

A.
Old November 7, 2011, 20:20   #22
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
Quick is definitely quicker than V, but it can still be a little grindy.

Not to derail, but if you want a "quick" experience, it's hard to beat Brogue right now. It's got auto-explore (and even auto-play). No tiles, but it has just about the most sophisticated and interesting terrain of any roguelike. It just added randomly generated puzzle rooms (locked treasure rooms, with guaranteed keys in sometimes perilous rooms elsewhere on the level).

Also, if you have an iOS device, "The Dungeon", which is a Dungeon of Doom remake, is a nice hack-n-slash (cheap but not free).
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2011, 20:35   #23
tametick
Rookie

tametick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
Do you know, I think if you want a game that plays in minutes rather than hours, then Quickband is probably not your bag. You want a coffee break roguelike. Personally I like Desktop Dungeons for this purpose, but I know there are other good very short games around...

Yeah, I love DD (I actually like the alpha better than the beta) and play a few other "coffee-break" roguelikes (DoomRL, 100 rogues, even The Binding of Isaac if you are willing to stretch the definition of what is a roguelike).

But I think the more important thing is the pace of playing rather than how long the game lasts (i'm fine with games lasting a couple of hours if i can play a few minutes at a time and have fun).

I've been wanting to check out brogue again for a while now, last i played it it didn't really get into it too much (main issue i had with it that it was too easy and therefor not that interesting).
tametick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2011, 20:51   #24
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tametick View Post
But I think the more important thing is the pace of playing rather than how long the game lasts (i'm fine with games lasting a couple of hours if i can play a few minutes at a time and have fun).
TinyAngband goes into a similar vein like Quickband. However, I only know as much about it as the description says.

Random Quickband suggestion: IIRC, the paladin experience penalty is quite severe (couldn't try it out myself because my current 2.0.2 game is taking forever). Letting them gain extra experience from destroying cursed equipment might be nice...
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2011, 22:49   #25
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bio_hazard View Post
Quick is definitely quicker than V, but it can still be a little grindy.
Always happy to hear suggestions for reducing grind, though I think you still want a bit of it.

A.
Old November 8, 2011, 00:44   #26
bio_hazard
Knight

bio_hazard is on a distinguished road
I'll have to admit i haven't played much recently (kind of on a Brogue kick now).

My sense was that the difficulty ramped up so quickly that to be prepared for mid-game levels, unless you got lucky with some fantastic equipment early, you had to stick around 100-200' for a long time to either level up enough or finally get a kit good enough to proceed. That and some of the races/classes that had early game penalties (I'm mainly thinking of the Dunedain- is that the class where stores don't open until CL10?) that favored re-clearing the first few levels over and over.

Of course, I'm not what you'd call a "good" player, so maybe my experience isn't typical.

I'll have to play it again and see if I can think of something to suggest. I really like the variant, so please don't take it as criticism- I don't know of any roguelikes that don't have a ton of grinding at some point. Even the "Dive til your nose bleeds" strategy in V just pushes the grinding until the end game instead of spreading it out...
bio_hazard is offline   Reply With Quote