Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old December 18, 2011, 00:43   #11
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
That does sound like a game the size and scope of Moria, which I think is a great idea.
Downloads:
https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 03:57   #12
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
It could work----Concentratedband to merry foil to Quickband or some such.
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 11:17   #13
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
I like! I've had a similar dream myself.

My dream is turning Unangband into Unmoria.

Unangband has an excess of everything, much too much for my tastes. I love the design, but I'd need a concentrated version of the game to be able to really enjoy it.

It would be fun to cherry pick the best of the best and turning it into a totally different game. Original Moria races and classes, 50 levels, Balrog at the bottom, smaller than usual levels, strong Tolkien-theme... but all this with full Unangband terrain features and exciting monsters.

I'd have to insert my stair system from Fay because I really can't live with infinite dungeons.

(EDIT: Of course the next Fay is already pretty quite close to what I just wrote. I've already concentrated it to 50 levels and added a lot of terrain features.)

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; December 18, 2011 at 12:01.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 14:14   #14
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

On another note: now would be the perfect time to re-make Moria out of the modern Vanilla. Forget Un. Vanilla is just perfect for this.

I just concentrated FayAngband from 100 levels to 50. It was super easy, and I only had to discard about 5% of content from the game. That's because in a lot of ways Angband is still balanced just like Moria.

The dev team is about to finally fix this. After the monsters are divided more evenly across the 100 levels, remaking Moria is going to become much, much harder!

So we should act now.
Old December 18, 2011, 15:38   #15
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
On another note: now would be the perfect time to re-make Moria out of the modern Vanilla. Forget Un. Vanilla is just perfect for this.

I just concentrated FayAngband from 100 levels to 50. It was super easy, and I only had to discard about 5% of content from the game. That's because in a lot of ways Angband is still balanced just like Moria.

The dev team is about to finally fix this. After the monsters are divided more evenly across the 100 levels, remaking Moria is going to become much, much harder!

So we should act now.
Ive been waiting forever for a remake of moria.
Old December 18, 2011, 15:53   #16
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
Ive been waiting forever for a remake of moria.
There's a Moria page here that has some pretty detailed spoilers. Seems like you could reconstruct at least the monsters, items and spell lists going off that. A lot of it could be done just by changing the edit files in current V.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011, 16:04   #17
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
There's a Moria page here that has some pretty detailed spoilers. Seems like you could reconstruct at least the monsters, items and spell lists going off that. A lot of it could be done just by changing the edit files in current V.
Ha,Ha, after many years of playing I only recently learned how to change edit files in the game, and still only know a little bit about it but it is certainly cause for expereiment I would probably use V 3.3.2 codebase as I like that one the most. After I get done with FA I might experiement some more and see what I can cook up, but don't let me discourage anyone from wanting to make a remake of moria, as I'm not a coder and that job could go to someone better qualified, but it should be fairly simple if a lot of work to redo the edit files a bit.
Old December 19, 2011, 09:03   #18
ghengiz
Adept

ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
It could work----Concentratedband to merry foil to Quickband or some such.
perhaps I'm overshooting it, but what about coffee-break angband?
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011, 09:14   #19
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengiz View Post
perhaps I'm overshooting it, but what about coffee-break angband?
Try Quickband. It's not exactly coffee-break but near.

I actually feel my own variant, Fay, works well for coffee-breaks. That's when I often play it really. I tend to think of every dungeon level (they're small) as a separate challenge, and you're supposed to try clearing every level in Fay. Usually there's enough challenge to keep you interested in the level (or enough to kill you, ha!).

EDIT: I'd like to add that one of my design ideas for Fay was that it should be a perfect game for a player who only likes to clear two or three dungeon levels a day. I like to keep certain limits in my *band playing because I don't usually like the results after I spend a whole day playing.

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; December 19, 2011 at 09:24.
Old December 19, 2011, 11:34   #20
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

It may be that smaller scale ideas like LessBand or Moria2 have a better chance of turning into actually enjoyable games if they are created by a single individual with a vision.

I for one would (perhaps one day) be interested in doing MoriaMyWay or perhaps UnMoria, with some controversial changes that would never get through in group projects.

After the initial design phase having people actually play the game and commenting is crucial. Let's call it the development phase. Even then I feel having one individual in charge of rebalancing is beneficial.