Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 23, 2014, 20:57   #1
tynan
Rookie

tynan is on a distinguished road
Scrolls of Acquirement

Hello all. I recently found one of these scrolls in a greater vault (the cool one with the 2 entrances to permanent rock that meet in the center). I'm in the town now and see one for 15k in black market. Playing V 3.5.0
Question: does it matter where you read these to get the best items? Thanks.

Last edited by tynan; March 23, 2014 at 20:58. Reason: Scrolls of Acquirement 3.5.0
tynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014, 21:10   #2
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Read it in the dungeon, not in town. It will give you a good or great item based on the dungeon level where you read it. (The item will appear under you or next to you if there is already something under you.) However, it's best not to wait too long, lest you run into a fire breather and see it burn up.

Also, are you sure it wasn't 150k it was selling for?
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014, 21:26   #3
tynan
Rookie

tynan is on a distinguished road
It was a regular Acquirement scroll, without asterisks (*). Also, I have the selling to vendors feature turned back on. I never liked the idea of not being able to sell stuff in this version.
Thanks, I think I'll just keep them in my home until I get close to end game (DL 80+) before I carry them with me to the Dungeon, to minimize risk of loss.
tynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014, 21:37   #4
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
The scroll is not much better than the drop of some monsters at the deeper levels so I tend to read them as soon as I hit the next 10 in dlevel, i.e. 30 or 40 or ..., usually I end up disappointed anyway. But make sure your inventory is not full, that seems to make it fail.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014, 21:38   #5
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan View Post
It was a regular Acquirement scroll, without asterisks (*). Also, I have the selling to vendors feature turned back on. I never liked the idea of not being able to sell stuff in this version.
Thanks, I think I'll just keep them in my home until I get close to end game (DL 80+) before I carry them with me to the Dungeon, to minimize risk of loss.
In my experience it's best to just use these after recalling to your current DL. By lategame, I think it's pretty rare to get anything worth anything from acquirement.
Old March 24, 2014, 01:42   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraalbeast View Post
The scroll is not much better than the drop of some monsters at the deeper levels so I tend to read them as soon as I hit the next 10 in dlevel, i.e. 30 or 40 or ..., usually I end up disappointed anyway. But make sure your inventory is not full, that seems to make it fail.
The item always appears on the ground, never in your inventory. Just don't read it when there's monsters around.

And yeah, read it as soon as possible. Practically speaking, the odds that you'll get something useful are higher in the early game, when you have less good equipment in general. In the late game there'll be ego items coming out your ears anyway, so Acquirement won't be likely to generate anything special.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014, 08:34   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
In my experience it's best to just use these after recalling to your current DL. By lategame, I think it's pretty rare to get anything worth anything from acquirement.
Unless I have just started the game I would wait until I'm at dlvl 1000' (20) or deeper. At that depth a lot of artifacts come in depth and don't have to pass OoD check. Maybe even take a crash-dive to 1000' if I'm close and then back up if I'm not fit to survive that deep.

If it is *really* early I would read it immediately. Even a low-level ego shooter can make huge difference in early survival.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014, 15:59   #8
Fendell Orcbane
Swordsman

Fendell Orcbane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Unless I have just started the game I would wait until I'm at dlvl 1000' (20) or deeper. At that depth a lot of artifacts come in depth and don't have to pass OoD check. Maybe even take a crash-dive to 1000' if I'm close and then back up if I'm not fit to survive that deep.

If it is *really* early I would read it immediately. Even a low-level ego shooter can make huge difference in early survival.
This is probably great advice...because in the early game even a decent ego weapon can be of great help...But I tend tend to read them as soon as I get them...nothing worst than to have a five vortex hit you and have the scroll burn up...
Fendell Orcbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014, 03:23   #9
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's my imagination, but in my experience it seems like the specific location that Acquirement or *Acquirement* scrolls are read does make a difference. Not just in a vault, but a specific spot in the vault. For example, when you are lucky enough to find a great item (like a Ring of Power) in a vault, reading the Acquirement scroll on that specific spot seems to generate better results than any other random spot in the same vault. Am I just imagining this?
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014, 04:07   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Am I just imagining this?
Yes, you are. The only place where Acquirement's code references the dungeon tile is when placing the item.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote