AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old June 13, 2013, 21:13   #11
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
Suddenly Song of Freedom for low-strength, low-stealth characters looks much more attractive. I lost loads of chars while webbed.

@Bluefish: I find it interesting that you value CON so high. I played loads of characters with 4 or 5 CON, my only winner (archer) had only 3, however.
Seems like by late game, most characters would trade a point of dex for a point of con. The dex can be effectively "rebought" by buying the skill points your character needs. But con can't be replaced with experience, other than the one point from the Will tree.
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 07:39   #12
BlueFish
Swordsman

BlueFish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
Yes. I often carry a staff of freedom with low strength characters for just this reason.

Webs you can also break free of while staying on the same square (use , or ctrl-5 to interact with your square; it's a strength check, same as for trying to break free normally). We can do this for webs but not pits because when you escape a web the web is gone, but when you escape a pit it's still there.
I'm not sure how any of this works, but is a break-web check made if you're stuck and you attack an adjacent enemy?

In a recent game I stepped into a web and was immediately blinded by its shadow spider owner. I had no protection from blindness or true seeing potions so the world got dark. My attack rolls were all halved and I knew I needed to break free from the web, but I didn't know the action I needed to take to do that. And I doubt it's documented. I kept attacking the adjacent shadow spider (or at least I assumed that's what I was attacking), hoping that would trigger the "break free from web" check. I even drank a pot of strength. But I never broke free. If I had known there was this "break free from web" special key, I'd have used that of course. But no player can ever know that. Mostly breaking free from webs is a matter of walking away from them, but in teh case a monster is on that square, the break free check is not made.

A clear in-game documentation of what needs to be done would be good, but failing that, maybe attacks can include a "break free from web" check?
BlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2013, 08:09   #13
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
While pits can't normally be disarmed, a powerful enough Freedom effect (from the staff with high Will or the song with high Song) can remove them altogether.
Good to know...this applies to Morgoth-made pits too?
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote