Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old October 2, 2018, 08:08   #1
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Upon finding a PDSM on DL12...

So after my relatively uneventful and smooth march to victory in my recent artifactless ironman Half Troll Warrior attempt, I decided to roll up a Hobbit Ranger with forced descent, as that seems to be my second favorite race/class combo.

After inspecting every monster early on (1d1, 1d2, 1d3, oohh, that one has 1d4 attack), and ruminating over the fact that some deeper monsters have less stats than earlier ones, (most notably the scary stats of Soldiers) I eventually get my footing and find myself cruising through the levels pretty quickly after finding a sling (+2, +5) and a *slay Orc* broadsword with +1 DEX and See Invisible on DL3, though my first trip to the dungeon barely got me enough gold to buy another ?recall (I was able to buy 21 arrows) after running into a room with a shrieker mushroom I had forgotten about.

Even after I found the early weapons I was dealing the most damage with magic missile. Very handy early game attack. For starting stats I gave my Hobbit +6 STR, +6 DEX, +6 CON and +2 INT. Given how good the MM is, I'm considering doing +4 INT and +4 DEX in the future for starting stats.

So anyway, I'm cruising along when I suddenly find myself on a 3-9 level.

I finally find the room with the object. It's a purple [. I'm a bit surprised it's not a book and am not sure what to make of it. Is it a jewel encrusted crown? I'm dumbstruck when I walk over it. PDSM. I have found some pretty amazing early game things lying around the dungeon, but only a few times have I found a PDSM, and the earliest one was at DL70-something in a large vault. I put it on and find myself slowed (-2) but not really bothered by this trade off.

I notice a bug in my armor's description: it says protects from confusion, but my @ doesn't know about such abilities yet (as shown in the character abilities screen--pConf is grayed out).

I get a bit reckless, nearly dying a few times, most notably to a summoned Dark Elven Lord as my weight issues only get worse as I accumulate potions and staves ((-4) speed at the worst). Pasting uniques with the rapidly recharging magic breath is pretty amusing, though. All the early game ones die in a single breath. As I get deeper, I need to rely on a short bow (+15, +13) I found in the store to take on some of the 800hp uniques, namely one of the disenchanter dudes and the confuser brothers on DL32. The confuser brothers drop me my first three artifacts: the star of Nascabil <+2> <+3> and The Elfstone of Ibingwil <+3> <+1> and the Short Sword Golot with SI, Slay Evil (among others) and slightly better damage than the +1 Dex broadsword. The star gives me +2 INT & STR which is huge as my slowness jumps from (-3) to (-1). The amulet confers +3 CON and abilities already covered by my armor (pConf and rDisen). On DL27 I find a <+2> attacks main gauche which I keep as a swap. On DL34 I pick up a wand of TO.

That brings us up to the present position having just arrived on DL35 doing 74 dam with the main gauche thanks to a RoD (+8). Our AC is at 117 and our SP is 35. We are a level 27 Guide.

Last edited by Grotug; October 2, 2018 at 08:21.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018, 09:20   #2
Grotug
Knight

DL35 through DL38 not much of note happens, but there are some good battles. Lokkak falls to my Phase, blast and pot-shot routine. I let my health get near zero fighting his giants which was maybe not entirely necessary or prudent, tho. Then, on a most unassuming 4 feeling DL39 I find a crossbow. It has no special abilities but it's to-dam may be unusually high. Ya think? +25 is A-OK. Just as I getvto 0 speed. Ahh, well. X4 +25 will take me far.

I buy another *Healing* (second in a row from BM), a 21 AC helm of Regen and 10 (+27, +19) mithril shots of wounding for later. I return home and swap out the <+3> INT ring for a +6 DEX ring I had picked up earlier and forgotten about which brings my my gauche dam to 88 (with drained DEX, +2 DEX goes from 4.3 to 4.8 blows). 60 average bolts do 113 a piece. Time to have some fun!

EDIT: on DL40 I dispose of a storm giant (scary at -2 speed) after magically fleeing from two (killed the one that followed). An ancient blue dragon is less trouble and brings me to CL 29 and drops a !Strength. A nearby scroll of Acquirement procures the Mithril Gauntlets Hirin good for 23 AC, FrAct and <+5> STR! They replace gloves of FrAct. Suddenly My AC is now a whopping 160 and dam 150 (6.7 blows)! That is some [i]fast[/] power gains.

Last edited by Grotug; October 3, 2018 at 08:20. Reason: active tense and grammar.
Old October 2, 2018, 14:56   #3
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Keep us updated, this sounds epically great. In 24 years of playing, I have never, not even once, found PDSM. Permit me to enjoy your luck vicariously.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018, 10:52   #4
Grotug
Knight

DL41 I find a vault and !Enlighten the level, but there is not anything useful in it. Nevertheless, I decide to raid it for fun, or in case the X3 crossbow is good. There is black armor of speed <+2> that I don't consider. I have some trouble getting into the vault, though, as a Ranger comes out and summons stuff. I continuously phase away from him into a corridor that forces a long detour back to the vault. I eventually dispose of him, though with my usual tricks.

I swap to an artifact +2 INT weapon I found but it doesn't have SI and suddenly something is clawing at me and draining my STR. I switch back to my main weapon and see a G trying to kill me. I TO it. Then, despite superb stealth, the Bile Demon comes out to greet me at the center of the vault. Yikes! I ?phase. A bit later he surprises me again and melees me. I half expect my life to be ended in this meeting, but I am lucky and he only takes off 50hp. Instead of ?phasing again I decide I best take my chances with the TO and off he goes on an early vacation. I check out the vault again, and trigger a summoning trap (87% phys. disarm) that summons two ancient dragons, one a multihued one so I ?phase and TO it from an anti-summoning corridor I had tunneled to the entrance of the vault. The White D dies easily in the corridor.

I finally am able to check out the xbow and it is very unexciting. Foolish risks for nothing. After nearly getting clawed and bit to death by a D I suddenly realize my health is woely inadequate at about 227. I escape back to town to settle on one weapon since Golot is my only source of SI. Over the next several levels I pass on two lamps of True Sight as I don't want to give up +2 STR and pStun from the artifact star. Three trips back to town and I buy another TO, another !*healing and a !healing and a rod of detection.

I finally find a level that is promising (some segmentented rectangle room with treasures and mostly friendly monsters save for the pack of gravity hounds I cannot ?banish because my last one was destroyed by black dragons when my PDSM failed it's activation. I tried to blast the gravity hounds after tunneling through a wall (hastening myself first with a !speed) but they blast me before I get to move and send me into a nearby unconnected chambered room. There I read a scroll of "praedium rocio" and the air starts to swirl about me. Darn; I really wanted to explore the level more.

I find myself on DL52 near a graveyard pit filled with vampires and 5 vampire lords. I use some _Speed I bought in a store and slowly whittle them down with PDSM blasts, bolts and two rods of light. Towards the end of the fight I pick up a 4th book and magically hasten myself (50% fail) to finish off the vampires. I also pick up a ?banishment and !experience for my efforts taking me to CL33 and restoring stat drains. On DL 53 I open a chest with two artifact helms inside, both granting Telepathy. One with +4 INT and the other +1 INT and CON and Regen. I'll keep the +4 INT one, even though I still need CON (finding my first !Toughness, !CON and !Augmentation helped, though, and I now have 279hp. Somewhere on DL52 I realized I forgot to buy more ?Recalls, so I am stuck in the dungeon until I find some.

Last edited by Grotug; October 4, 2018 at 01:50.
Old October 4, 2018, 01:31   #5
Grotug
Knight

Here is the accompanying video to the last update: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDUm...utu.be#t=9m10s I set the time stamp to when things started getting interesting.
Old October 4, 2018, 09:49   #6
Grotug
Knight

Very nearly died.

So by all rights my run should be over. And I thought it was. Yet, somehow I didn't die. And how silly of me to play so foolhardily when I have a PDSM. But I found something that, at least for now, means I am better off putting the PDSM away... if only I could remember to buy ?Words of Recall....

Anyway, this video is much more entertaining than the last. In summary, I found a lot of artifacts, including two good armors; one that will replace my PDSM for now, and some artifacts worth the aggravation they come with (though it's aggravation that very nearly got me killed).

https://youtu.be/MRHtmPiU8mw#t=45s

Last edited by Grotug; October 4, 2018 at 09:58.
Old October 4, 2018, 16:29   #7
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Derp derp detp derp derp

Ok so its forced descent. Can you recall and then return to the same DL?

Last edited by Sky; October 4, 2018 at 16:37.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018, 16:39   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sky-
Drops are much better at dl 60, and with TO, stealth, and detection you can wander around DL 60 without much trouble. As grotug acknowledges, his big risk is aggravation with a very low-HP hobbit ranger. (Talk about playing to class/race weakness!)

As for EXP: demons from DL 45 onward have much bigger EXP value than ancient dragons, and with lower risk. Yeah, there are some (Balrogs) you have to avoid, but with PDSM and Scarabtrices, you have essentially all the resistances you need to take on basic Wyrms, Gelugons, etc. So why not go for it, assuming you have the right weapons?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2018, 02:42   #9
Grotug
Knight

I assume the "derps" are for the slow nature of the youtube videos? I should probably include time stamps for the interesting parts.... You can never return to the same depth. Everytime you recall you start one level down. It's part of the reason I prefer forced descent: it saves me 125gp per trip to town.

The @ in the linked video in my previous post has 698hp by the end of the video and every resistance/protection except Nether, and has fire and cold immunity and is no longer wearing the PDSM.
Old October 5, 2018, 09:59   #10
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Actually the derps is where i deleted post text that was wrong because i didnt read what you wrote.