Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old October 30, 2018, 00:11   #1
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Speeeeeed

Just killed Gothmog & Ungoliant and one or the other of them gave me a Ring of Speed +21.

Sad thing is I don't need it--I am not even using a Ring of Speed. I have elven boots +9 speed, a nifty shield with +9 speed, and various other items with a few points of speed. Was already at +24.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2018, 01:01   #2
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Many are the stories of +20+ speed rings. Rare are the stories of them ever being used. Speed on shields is always nice. Want to post your character?
Old October 30, 2018, 01:47   #3
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
... just one more reason to play with randarts. Speed rings are a lot more ussful when speed doesn't show up in ridiculous equipment slots.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018, 02:55   #4
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Many are the stories of +20+ speed rings. Rare are the stories of them ever being used. Speed on shields is always nice. Want to post your character?
I just finished: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22035
Old October 31, 2018, 02:56   #5
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
... just one more reason to play with randarts. Speed rings are a lot more ussful when speed doesn't show up in ridiculous equipment slots.
I don't know why it is more ridiculous on a shield than a ring.

In any case, I always play with randarts because it is too boring otherwise.
Old October 31, 2018, 05:19   #6
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
I don't know why it is more ridiculous on a shield than a ring.
It's a matter of competition for the slot. There are some good shields out there, but mostly they provide resists, which are also commonly available on body armor, helms, and cloaks. Rings provide everything, which means there's immense competition for ring slots, so if you wear a speed ring that means you're not wearing a bunch of other things that could be there instead. Whereas if you find a speed shield, odds are good you'll be able to fit it into your kit without having to sacrifice much of importance.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018, 05:27   #7
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's a matter of competition for the slot. There are some good shields out there, but mostly they provide resists, which are also commonly available on body armor, helms, and cloaks. Rings provide everything, which means there's immense competition for ring slots, so if you wear a speed ring that means you're not wearing a bunch of other things that could be there instead. Whereas if you find a speed shield, odds are good you'll be able to fit it into your kit without having to sacrifice much of importance.
Depends, I'd wear Thorin+speed ring over speed shield+con ring. Speed on a big bulky shield is a bit aesthetically ugly if you think about it too much. Shrug, it's fine if you don't and just look it as a bunch of bonuses to fit in slots.

I remember Sil was a lot tighter when it came to what goes on what slot. For instance stat sticks are generally avoided as weapons (though they sort of still exist). You ended up with a lot of similar setups because there was only a few slots that the critical resists could go.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2018, 09:17   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

It is not speed that makes rings so valuable. It is damage. There are only 2 slots with high damage: ring and glove, with lesser damage possible in shield and amulet slots. Using a speed ring means no damage in that slot.
Old October 31, 2018, 16:28   #9
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Given your shield had rBase, and a couple other resists and a sustain and <+9> speed, I'd say it was your most powerful item (well, except maybe for your non-artifact body armor). That helmet is pretty ridiculous, too. The rest of your gear wasn't anything special.

How come you play 4.0.5? I'm playing the Deathwreaker comp right now (glass cannon anyone?) which is 4.0.5 and I miss rune ID and finding doors and traps; though I have been using a rod of door/stair location the entire time.

DL71 7-9 level. Thought for sure there'd be a PDSM or some other really good armor, but the level doesn't appear to have anything of note on it. No MoD, the ring of speed was +6. An Ethereal cloak of Aman [+38]. Scythe of Slicing of Gondolin. None of those things are a 9. Totally mystified.

BTW, not sure if this Deathwreaker is meant to be a challenge, but it is very fun, and probably easier than a normal game of Angband, even with the low HP and non-artifacts. Deathwreaker is insanely powerful. Been wearing two rings of DEX the whole game until I got a speed ring. Found telepathy on a cloak and a might crown so I am kicking serious butt! And got "Trickery recently, too. Of course I nearly die all the time, because I go from 337hp to 60hp pretty quickly.
Old October 31, 2018, 17:41   #10
Pete Mack
Prophet

Deathwreaker comp was a response to an offhand comment I made in an 'Am I ready to kill Morgoth?' thread. I pointed out that any character who has found Deathwreaker is ready to kill Morgoth. I had not considered the possibility of finding it in town (or even before DL 80.)