Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 1, 2018, 11:44   #11
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
All I need now is CON potions.... Oh, look! a CON potion! Shattered by a gold dragon. Oh look! TWO CON potions! I run to them. I drink one. You are hit by cold! -500hp. You have 89hp. The CON potion shatters! Of course I didn't actually look to see where Huan was and just assumed he was in the vault and not off screen down a long corridor below it.

If I had half a CON potion for every WIS potion I drank, M would be dead already. Same for STR potions. And DEX for that matter. It's always CON is short supply.

I found DW in a game once and I didn't even wield it. I think I had already found Aule and didn't think the damage on DW warranted the aggravation. But playing it from the beginning of the game with a weak character and no other artifacts makes me appreciate just how dang powerful the weapon is. It has so many key resistances and slays; and the +6 STR is amazing. But as an endgame HT Warrior, finding it near the bottom of the dungeon when I already had a great endgame weapon just wasn't that exciting. :-/

With a CON ring and a Speed ring I'm doing almost 1300 to undead and 678.5 to evil. I have a +15 damage ring waiting for the CON potions to show up (and not be shattered all the time). I only need 7 or 8 more of them.

EDIT: Yay, PDSM in a vault. Hopefully it's Dwarven. Oh, look at all these nasty uniques, I should probably make note of where they are but I can't be bothered. Look how dumb Morgoth is, stuck in a corner of the vault. Let me go to him. Offscreen, Ancalagon the black breathes frost. You die. /facepalm. And I had just squashed Sauron just about as easily as I ever have. I used like 3 heals and no *heals*.

Last edited by Grotug; November 1, 2018 at 17:56.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2018, 18:38   #12
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Yes, that competition was ridiculous. And kinda fun. Deathwreaker is *by far* the most powerful weapon in the game, but HT warrior is a bad combination for it. You need a whole lot of DEX to get near max blows with a MoD, and the extra STR just doesn't help the class/race combination. Ridiculously, a race like Hobbit with bad strength but great DEX has an easier time with massive weapons.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2018, 20:36   #13
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
A simple fix for this ridiculousness would to have different races and classes have different max stats; so a warrior would max out at 220 STR but a hobbit would max out at like 140.
Old November 1, 2018, 20:45   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

That is one possibility, yes. My issue is that it is exceedingoy difficult tonget max blows with a troll warrior after the partial blows fix circa v 3.2. When useful DEX maxed out at 18/150, HT DEX penalty was much less crippling.
Old November 4, 2018, 04:06   #15
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Playing a new game--got a helmet with telepathy & +10 speed now.
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2018, 04:07   #16
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
A simple fix for this ridiculousness would to have different races and classes have different max stats; so a warrior would max out at 220 STR but a hobbit would max out at like 140.
Ugh is my involuntary reaction to that.
Old November 4, 2018, 04:13   #17
Egavactip
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
How come you play 4.0.5? I'm playing the Deathwreaker comp right now (glass cannon anyone?) which is 4.0.5 and I miss rune ID and finding doors and traps; though I have been using a rod of door/stair location the entire time.
I play 4.0.5 because I tried playing 4.1.2 and discovered I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the new ID and trap systems. It looks like I am stuck at 4.0.5 unless either a) someone gets rid of them, which is my real hope, b) someone creates a variant that is vanilla except for the runes/traps and uses the old rules for those, or c) there are future developments in Angband which are so awesome that they make up for the awfulness of the runes/traps.
Old November 4, 2018, 04:27   #18
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
they make up for the awfulness of the runes
Out of curiosity, what do you dislike about rune ID?
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2018, 05:20   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
Ugh is my involuntary reaction to that.
Isn't that basically what "maximize" mode does, though? I've always played with it on, so my characters have more stat variance in the endgame.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2018, 08:58   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

The specific problem is that HT warriors have a much bigger DEX penalty than the STR penalty for any other warrior combination. To get max blows with Deathwreaker, you need high strength, which is easy to get given it is +5, and 18/200 DEX as well. So the hobbit has an easy time getting 5.4 blows (or whatever), while the HT is still down around 4.5