Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old November 8, 2018, 07:10   #11
HugoTheGreat2011
Knight

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocht View Post
!icky does not work for weaponmasters
I mentioned this before, due to the lack of feedback I don't know if I should mention it again
Dude, relax. If you're not sure, you can PM Sideways. Sideways has put a lot of work into this PCB fork. I'm sure he is prioritizing which bugs are game-breaking and which ones can await later. Please be patient. Cloudberry just got released like 1.5 days ago.

My YouTube channel, where I'm known as YggdrasilTid (includes my PosChengband gameplay+music):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqG...vf4c0P8ipsIeQQ

My most recent good try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 09:23   #12
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
It's a slow site, if you are a fast regular poster it's going to feel like you're being ignored, because people ignoring you and people being busy look the same. I think with some of your suggestions it's a matter of opinion with others.. There was a bug with the last release because Sideways rushed it out half asleep, so I imagine he's generally busy coding or play testing.

Anyway hope any bad will sorts it self out, you seem keen for sure.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2018, 12:46   #13
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
I'm curious, is a Blue Mage resurrection on the long-term to-do list?

I wouldn't be playing them since I already won one and I don't generally try to re-win classes. But they're a really good, fun class.
Old November 8, 2018, 19:02   #14
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
I'm curious, is a Blue Mage resurrection on the long-term to-do list?

I wouldn't be playing them since I already won one and I don't generally try to re-win classes. But they're a really good, fun class.
Yes, blue-mage resurrection is on the long-term to-do list, but I'm not sure I can fit it into the next version because there's so many other things to do. Quite possibly by the time blue-mages are resurrected you'll have won with every other class and be ready to play them a second time
Old November 10, 2018, 05:01   #15
AppleBrandy
Rookie

AppleBrandy is on a distinguished road
So I'm trying to compile this in Windows Subsystem for Linux, and I'm hitting an odd snag. Getting all the way through the actual c files, but then:
Code:
Leaving directory src
Entering directory lib
Entering directory apex
make[4]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
../mk/buildsys.mk:117: recipe for target 'subdirs' failed
And that brings everything to a halt with three layers of Error 2. Is the compilation process meant to enter /lib/apex?
AppleBrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 19:52   #16
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleBrandy View Post
So I'm trying to compile this in Windows Subsystem for Linux, and I'm hitting an odd snag. Getting all the way through the actual c files, but then:
Code:
Leaving directory src
Entering directory lib
Entering directory apex
make[4]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
../mk/buildsys.mk:117: recipe for target 'subdirs' failed
And that brings everything to a halt with three layers of Error 2. Is the compilation process meant to enter /lib/apex?
I'm not exactly sure what's happening there, but I have a pretty good idea. /lib/apex and several other directories have their own makefiles in Pos that are missing in Compos and FrogCompos. This has never caused a fatal error before (it's happened to me that it crashes after compiling, but that doesn't bother me too much). But if it crashed for you before it finished compiling I'll probably have to re-add those makefiles.

If it crashed for you after it created the .exe you can just eat the .exe and ignore the crash, though I should probably still re-add the makefiles.
Old November 12, 2018, 13:55   #17
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Yeah that was something I broke fairly early on, I think I figured out why at some point but didn't fix it because it doesn't actually break anything, you still get the binary file despite the error warning.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 04:32   #18
ShadowTechnology
Scout

ShadowTechnology is on a distinguished road
How not to kill yourself with a Death Scythe?

I'm running a Vampire Monster who's found a Death Scythe, uncursed it, and enchanted it from 10d10 (-50, +30) up to 10d10 (+13,+30). It's great for hacking down everything, but has a very dangerous side effect. Every time you miss, there is a percent chance to hit yourself instead and take massive damage. I'm sure that two or more such backfires in one round of attacks, or a single *GREAT* critical hit would be lethal to the wielder. How to mitigate the risk? One thing I've already done is to maximize "to hit" bonus so that I miss my opponent less often. I also avoid using it against foes with high armor class.
Question 1: When you swing and miss, how is the chance to hit yourself determined? Is it calculated as if you actually are trying to hit a copy of yourself? If so, increasing my AC in various ways, including Stone Skin, should help. Or is the game mechanism completely different, maybe based on a saving throw or a simple percentage? Question 2: Does the game realize that my Vampire Monster is an Evil Undead, and apply those slays to the self-inflicted damage I take?
ShadowTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 07:05   #19
ShadowTechnology
Scout

ShadowTechnology is on a distinguished road
Advice on artifact reforging

Looking for advice on reforging, especially going from one equipment slot to another. I'm aware that different slots now have different maximum values associated with them. I think I am seeing that when a try to reforge an artifact armor with a score of 100,000 onto a Feanorian Lamp and getting an light source artifact with a much much smaller score. Is it possible to increase the score by going in the opposite direction? Anybody know the maximum scores associated with each equipment slot? What rules of thumb do you use when reforging?
ShadowTechnology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 17:11   #20
Sideways
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTechnology View Post
Looking for advice on reforging, especially going from one equipment slot to another. I'm aware that different slots now have different maximum values associated with them. I think I am seeing that when a try to reforge an artifact armor with a score of 100,000 onto a Feanorian Lamp and getting an light source artifact with a much much smaller score. Is it possible to increase the score by going in the opposite direction? Anybody know the maximum scores associated with each equipment slot? What rules of thumb do you use when reforging?
You cannot increase the score by going in the opposite direction.

See the reforging section near the end of the FAQ for tips.

The slot weights are currently as follows: armor/weapon - 80; bow - 60; ring - 55; shield - 52; helm/boots - 50; gloves - 45; cloak - 43; amulet - 40; lamp - 36; and there are a few special cases (guns are 40; harps are 50 for bards and 40 for non-bards; weapons with max dice < 12 are 80 as source items, but lower as destination items; and wizardstaves are 55 to prevent them from being completely destroyed by the penalty against low-dice weapons). So if you reforge a weapon onto an amulet you'll lose half the value in the slot downgrade.

The effective value of items whose power exceeds the slot weight multiplied by 1125 is capped to the slot weight multiplied by 1125, or the destination slot weight multiplied by 1125, whichever is higher. (That latter bit means you can reforge 95K Nenya into the armor slot and it works like a 80*1125=90K armor would, not like a 55*1125=62K armor.) That's a cap, though, it doesn't scale up items from low-weight slots, they need to have that value already.

Last edited by Sideways; November 18, 2018 at 17:21.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband