Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 24, 2014, 16:39   #1
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Is there an upper limit to stealth?

Once I reach "Legendary" stealth, is going any higher of any value?
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 16:53   #2
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't know how the descriptor adjectives map to your stealth score, but there is a cap; I think it's +30. You can sum up the bonuses you're getting from your equipment, race, and class (and, if you're a rogue, the level-based bonus) and figure out what your true score is.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 16:59   #3
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't know how the descriptor adjectives map to your stealth score, but there is a cap; I think it's +30. You can sum up the bonuses you're getting from your equipment, race, and class (and, if you're a rogue, the level-based bonus) and figure out what your true score is.
Thanks, is there any way to see these values once you're playing the game?
Old February 24, 2014, 17:03   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Race and class bonuses are in the documentation, and all of your equipment bonuses are on the equipment items themselves. The rogue bonus is IIRC +1 stealth for every 10 levels.
Old February 24, 2014, 17:04   #5
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Well, equipment is obvious, and race and class are in the helpfiles, but there is no setting for the character screen to tell you the point values of your skills. Also, you may find that after a certain point, the only danger is monsters that are always awake, and further investment in stealth will do nothing to you.

EDIT: Got here late.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014, 17:09   #6
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Well, equipment is obvious, and race and class are in the helpfiles, but there is no setting for the character screen to tell you the point values of your skills. Also, you may find that after a certain point, the only danger is monsters that are always awake, and further investment in stealth will do nothing to you.

EDIT: Got here late.
right I was just wondering if that point was "legendary" or not -- whether continuing to make trade-offs in favor of additional stealth will help to keep sleeping monsters asleep, so one could pick one's way through an otherwise dangerous vault with safety.

Does fighting cause "noise" that wakes up monsters? (Other than of course, ball affects, and aggravating effects).

Just was picking through a pretty dangerous vault and missed the stupid vortex down at the bottom. I survived after he woke everyone up but just barely.
Old February 24, 2014, 17:49   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Nothing makes more noise than anything else. Resting is exactly as noisy as tunneling.
Old February 25, 2014, 08:32   #8
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Nothing makes more noise than anything else. Resting is exactly as noisy as tunneling.
I think illuminating a room have a chance to wake up monsters in the room even when they are not in your spell radius. That's about only thing barring actually hurting monsters that affects their waking probability. Monsters that "shriek" wake up *and haste* every monster in LoS, so things like Crebain Shrieking Mushrooms and Shambling Mound are priority 1 for killing (or avoiding like plague, if there are actually dangerous monster nearby)
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014, 10:58   #9
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
I think illuminating a room have a chance to wake up monsters in the room even when they are not in your spell radius. That's about only thing barring actually hurting monsters that affects their waking probability. Monsters that "shriek" wake up *and haste* every monster in LoS, so things like Crebain Shrieking Mushrooms and Shambling Mound are priority 1 for killing (or avoiding like plague, if there are actually dangerous monster nearby)
And neekerbeekers. There was one in that vault that I barely made it out of. "The neekerbeeker shrieks, and the (monsters) start moving faster...and faster....and faster...and faster...!!!!" AUGH!
Old February 25, 2014, 14:45   #10
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
By the way, some variants do have noisy actions. Oangband Assasins have quieter fighting than others, for example.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote