Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12, 2008, 21:09   #1
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
[Z+] Newb Questions

I new to Z+, having only played FA in the past, I thought I'd try something new. I've never played ASCII Angband, and having grown accustomed to David Gervias' Tiles/Double Tile Mode/Big Tile Mode, I find playing with Adam Bolt's Tiles/Big Tile Mode less than appealing. Unfortunately, it's the only graphics I can get to work. Aside from the apparently inferior cosmetics, I often have trouble spotting monsters for some reason and the game just seems less fun in general. I'm not knocking Z+ here, just the graphics I was able to come up with.

EDIT: and some monsters don't seem to have graphic tiles associated with them at all. For example, the kobold archer (k) and the giant yellow centipede (c) simply show up as thier respective ASCII characters in an otherwise graphic world.

Problem is I can't get David Gervias' tiles to function in Z+. I've imported the .bmps from my FA directory, but when I try to switch to them in Z+ the game reverts to ACSII.

If there's anyone out there who knows what the heck I'm talking about, or can help me come up with a fix, or a graphics package that they are impressed with. I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, I'm fully on board with the way the town and wilderness flow seamlessly together in Z+, rather than being split apart on different 'levels'.

Should I make it past this hurdle, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions regarding race/class soon to come.

Last edited by buzzkill; October 12, 2008 at 22:45.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 03:12   #2
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I new to Z+, having only played FA in the past, I thought I'd try something new. I've never played ASCII Angband, and having grown accustomed to David Gervias' Tiles/Double Tile Mode/Big Tile Mode, I find playing with Adam Bolt's Tiles/Big Tile Mode less than appealing. Unfortunately, it's the only graphics I can get to work. Aside from the apparently inferior cosmetics, I often have trouble spotting monsters for some reason and the game just seems less fun in general. I'm not knocking Z+ here, just the graphics I was able to come up with.

EDIT: and some monsters don't seem to have graphic tiles associated with them at all. For example, the kobold archer (k) and the giant yellow centipede (c) simply show up as thier respective ASCII characters in an otherwise graphic world.

Problem is I can't get David Gervias' tiles to function in Z+. I've imported the .bmps from my FA directory, but when I try to switch to them in Z+ the game reverts to ACSII.

If there's anyone out there who knows what the heck I'm talking about, or can help me come up with a fix, or a graphics package that they are impressed with. I would greatly appreciate it.

By the way, I'm fully on board with the way the town and wilderness flow seamlessly together in Z+, rather than being split apart on different 'levels'.

Should I make it past this hurdle, I'm sure I'll have a million more questions regarding race/class soon to come.
David Gervais tiles -- never got them to work with Zangband myself, though they are supposedly supported. Has anyone else? That's probably why they don't work with Z+. And I certainly didn't make graphics for the new things.

Adam Bolt tiles -- I didn't touch these. But if you want detailed graphics they are probably the best. A lot of things in the game won't have graphics... but if anyone out there is interested in drawing some I can give you detailed instructions for how to make them show up in the game, and if you're willing to share your work, I'll include it in future versions of the game.

Old tiles -- Many of the new things have graphics in the old 8x8 tileset, but there are probably some missing. But the old tiles are more or less supported in Z+.

Someday when the features I'm envisioning are fully in place and tested, I may turn my attention back to graphics.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 04:33   #3
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
[Z+] David Gervias tile set working, a little bit.

Thanks for the reply Mangojuice. I know graphics aren't a high priority in Angband. I just kinda figured since they worked in FA, they worked in all variants.

Anyhow, it's was really bugging me, so I did some screwing around, and got something working.

First I copied my entire FA pref folder and overwrote the Z+ pref folder. This broke all graphics and left me with ASCII only. Totally unacceptable!!!

So, I re-downloaded Z+ and overwrote my old Z+ directory with the freshly downloaded one, overwriting all files. I re-open my save game and the Adam Bolt tiles were working again. So I switched to David Gervias tiles, expecting nothing, and an error occurred but then, surprise, surprise, surprise, it worked... somewhat. I only looked at this first screen so far, but that's my old familiar DG tile set. Of course there are some obvious problems. All those doors in that chamber are actually columns, and that pink potion you see is actually a mold, a brown mold IIRC. If someone can fill me in on how to substitute one tile for another, I think I may be able to nail this down before too long.

See attached .jpg for my results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ZplusDG.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	113  
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 05:49   #4
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,012
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
if Z+ doesn't have the modern (unangband) graphic selector, you will have a hard try doing this. You are better off installing the "knowledge menu" and generating a new Adam bolt pref file by hand. IMNSHO, porting the knowledge menus is pretty easy now.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 05:50   #5
Mangojuice
Z+Angband Maintainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 318
Mangojuice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Thanks for the reply Mangojuice. I know graphics aren't a high priority in Angband. I just kinda figured since they worked in FA, they worked in all variants.

Anyhow, it's was really bugging me, so I did some screwing around, and got something working.

First I copied my entire FA pref folder and overwrote the Z+ pref folder. This broke all graphics and left me with ASCII only. Totally unacceptable!!!

So, I re-downloaded Z+ and overwrote my old Z+ directory with the freshly downloaded one, overwriting all files. I re-open my save game and the Adam Bolt tiles were working again. So I switched to David Gervias tiles, expecting nothing, and an error occurred but then, surprise, surprise, surprise, it worked... somewhat. I only looked at this first screen so far, but that's my old familiar DG tile set. Of course there are some obvious problems. All those doors in that chamber are actually columns, and that pink potion you see is actually a mold, a brown mold IIRC. If someone can fill me in on how to substitute one tile for another, I think I may be able to nail this down before too long.

See attached .jpg for my results.
You just made me figure this out. Ok, the deal is that all the thing-to-graphics mappings are in the "graf-dvg.prf" file... which isn't included in Z+ at all. When you copied over the FA folder, that file must have remained and not been overwritten. But it's totally messed up because FA and Zangband use different internal codes for things like terrain and monsters. For instance, in Z+, a pillar is terrain feature number 33, whereas in FA, 33 is a locked door.

It would be as frustrating to modify that FA file to Z+ as it would to just start from scratch... BUT! This made me look around for a graf-dvg.prf file for Zangband, and I was able to locate one at http://tinyurl.com/4kuaen .
Try replacing your lib/pref/graf-dvg.prf file with that one, and see if it works better.

There will still be tiles that don't show up properly because I added new things without giving them any associations, but this should work for everything that was in Zangband (unless it was also buggy...)

Here's how the file works, if you want to tweak it. It contains a lot of lines like

F:70:0x9A:0x8B

This can be parsed as

[Type code]:[Serial number]:[Row]:[Column].

Type code is F for terrain features, K for objects, R for monsters, and T for "fields" (such as traps, that go on top of features). S is for spell projections; leave those alone. The serial number is the corresponding number of the thing you want to have a graphic for, from f_info.txt, k_info.txt, r_info.txt, or t_info.txt (in lib/edit). The "# Black Market" lines are comments that do nothing.

Row and Column are hexadecimal numbers specifying the row and column in the grid layout you can observe if you look at lib/xtra/graf/32x32.bmp. The upper-left corner is 0x80:0x80.

Let me know if it works.
__________________
-----------------------------------------
Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd
Mangojuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 05:50   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,217
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Thanks for the reply Mangojuice. I know graphics aren't a high priority in Angband. I just kinda figured since they worked in FA, they worked in all variants.
The double/triple tile thing in FA was originally done by Andrew Doull for Un, and AFAIK hasn't been done anywhere else (although Leon has done something to the same effect for Sangband).

Quote:
If someone can fill me in on how to substitute one tile for another, I think I may be able to nail this down before too long.
Going to the 'interact with visuals' menu (probably '%' in Z+) will allow you to change tile allocations; then you can save that to a pref file.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 05:53   #7
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,012
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
the old-style interact with visuals is realy awful. The unangband knowledge menu model
Is much, much better.
Pete Mack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2008, 07:26   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,217
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
the old-style interact with visuals is realy awful. The unangband knowledge menu model
Is much, much better.
That's what I was thinking as I pinched it.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 03:26   #9
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
[Z+] Problem swapping scroll graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
if Z+ doesn't have the modern (unangband) graphic selector, you will have a hard try doing this. You are better off installing the "knowledge menu" and generating a new Adam bolt pref file by hand. IMNSHO, porting the knowledge menus is pretty easy now.
The Adam Bolt tiles work fine, it's the David Gervias' I'm working on.

I don't know what you mean by this. What is the knowledge menu? I've had some success using the 'interact with visuals' (%) in Z+, but it is kind of a pain in the ass. I'm able to swap monster and floor/wall tiles, but like I said it's a pain.

I ran into a problem trying to establish the proper graphic for a scroll of light. It originally displayed as something similar to a pick-axe. I then swapped the graphic for the correct one, and it still displayed as a pick-axe. I have a feeling there's something more to establishing the proper graphics for scrolls, wand, rods, because the graphic for a particular flavor may be different from game to game. If somebody could please fill me in on what I'm missing, I'd appreciate it.
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2008, 04:36   #10
buzzkill
Prophet
 
buzzkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 2,939
Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
[Z+] Squelching corpses/skeletons...

Mostly unrelated to the Gervias tile problems in this thread... Is the a way to squelch corpses/skeletons?

Optionally... if mangojuice or someone could fill me in on where the find the corpse and skeletons graphics so I could swap them out, I've been unable to locate them and am getting tired of seeing blank spots on the floor every time I kill something... appreciate it.

Ohhh, wait. Am I missing something. Do these corpses serve some purpose that I'm unaware of, like re-animation or something?
buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newb questions obb Vanilla 5 September 5, 2008 04:29
Newb Questions on Entroband Attack Numbers bonzo Variants 3 November 7, 2007 20:41
inventory management newb question Halloween Jack Vanilla 16 October 30, 2007 14:14
more newb questions Halloween Jack Vanilla 5 October 29, 2007 18:26
Easy question from a newb Karmarig Vanilla 6 August 4, 2007 10:38


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.