Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 15, 2017, 01:28   #21
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
There are two named giants in Tolkien's mythology; Sil uses them. There's also a long list of names from Norse mythology.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orse_mythology

I agree Greek names just don't fit here.
Edit: fix ridiculous autocorrect error

Last edited by Pete Mack; April 20, 2017 at 18:47.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 09:30   #22
Adam
Rookie

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippy View Post
4) Weird uniques. Sometimes I felt like I came around a corner and "You see Darth Vader. You see Braveheart." I'm not a big LOTR guy, sure I've read the books and the movies, but a lot of these uniques seemed like they were pulled from other mythologies, and it just seemed...weird.
One thing which always disturbed me is some uniques which fit in theme but I can't imagine them being in the dungeon as opponent.
Best example is Radagast. Why does he attack me if we meet? I'm not that deep into the LotR myth but as I know he is far from being an aggressive man.
I could imagine him as a neutral (or even friendly) creature in the game but not as an opponent (even though having him probably brings more variety into the opponent list than one more orc or demon unique would).
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 15:18   #23
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Best example is Radagast. Why does he attack me if we meet? I'm not that deep into the LotR myth but as I know he is far from being an aggressive man.
I could imagine him as a neutral (or even friendly) creature in the game but not as an opponent
What makes you think you're one of the good guys?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 15:21   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
What makes you think you're one of the good guys?
It's a natural assumption for any player unless they're explicitly set up as a villain. I agree that Radagast feels out of place, as would be, say, Gandalf or Frodo.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017, 15:32   #25
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
It's a natural assumption for any player unless they're explicitly set up as a villain. I agree that Radagast feels out of place, as would be, say, Gandalf or Frodo.
Those who are evil, never think they are evil. The most murderous "monster" in the game is the "@". Killing good townsfolk, pet dogs, ainu istari, and evil orcs, trolls, and demons, alike. More than a serial killer or mass murderer, @ is a downright harbinger of death. The worst nightmare for both good and evil. And who isn't tempted to don The One Ring or Morgoth's Crown? Step aside Morgoth, there's a New Dark Lord in town!!!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 01:49   #26
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
More than a serial killer or mass murderer, @ is a downright harbinger of death.
I just thought of a potential challenge. You can only attack monsters that are awake and can do damage to you. Also, you can't attack stationary monsters unless they have a ranged attack. Finally, if something is fleeing you, you have to wait until it regains its courage. That way you are only attacking monsters that are directly trying to kill you.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017, 13:13   #27
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
Im on the same boat. Radagast should not be an enemy; iirc he was mentioned to be "slightly mad" but he's closer to an ally than a villain. And yes, we expect to be the good guy.
I'm actually perplexed that there is no message when you wear Morgoth's crown ...

Fighting Chronos or Pazuzu isn't much of a deal breaker, but they could be renamed into some dragons, if you want to make this 100% tolkien based, without losing any mobs.

Regarding @'s behaviour in town, its because someone dwcided to make these mobs non-passive ...
(Besides, hes really killing what, thieves and violent mercenaries. Plus the occasional vagabond. A favour to society, if you ask me.)
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 17:58   #28
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
There is not enough variety in Tolkien's world for a game that needs variety like Angband. Also, Angband has been around long enough to "deserve" its own creatures. So I welcome the "others."
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 18:03   #29
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
But also aimless merchants, happy drunks, and retired veterans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
Regarding @'s behaviour in town, its because someone dwcided to make these mobs non-passive ...
(Besides, hes really killing what, thieves and violent mercenaries. Plus the occasional vagabond. A favour to society, if you ask me.)
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 19:50   #30
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I would like to note that killing street urchins is literally child murder.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote