AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 20, 2017, 21:17   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Nomad has summed it up best IMHO.

I'm aiming in a number of areas at making the rules simpler, so that gameplay complexity is emergent rather than as a result of lots of different intricate calculations, and having much of the balance of the game in the monster list.

My initial suggestion is make damage reduction 1/3 and damage cap 600 across the board; I'd be interested to hear reasons for making it more variable than that (or different in other ways).
Old March 21, 2017, 07:51   #12
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
It's remarkable how often Nomad does that.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 16:13   #13
fizzix
Prophet

fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post

I'm aiming in a number of areas at making the rules simpler, so that gameplay complexity is emergent rather than as a result of lots of different intricate calculations, and having much of the balance of the game in the monster list.

My initial suggestion is make damage reduction 1/3 and damage cap 600 across the board; I'd be interested to hear reasons for making it more variable than that (or different in other ways).
I would look to standardize it even further, to move things long side the basic resists. Right now, single basic resist has a damage cap of 550 (I think), so perhaps it makes sense to cap all the high resists at 550 as well.

Are the HP multipliers the same for all resists, are you planning to standardize that also?

Be careful about the damage output from the high level hounds...
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 16:21   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Unresisted basic element caps at 1600, so single resist caps at 533, which is kind of an odd number. We could reduce the unresisted cap to 1500 and then make high elements cap at 500. I believe the only high element that actually hits above 500 currently is nether?
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 16:24   #15
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@fizzix--
Max damage Nether breath has the significant exception of being rare. Upping the other high resists, while simultaneously increasing the effectiveness of resistance, will make grinding more appealing: getting all the resistances will have real utility.
The reason I am advocating the existing mechanism is that it does the opposite: the resists are in the 'nice to have' category.

Nick--
The 'emergent property' of the existing system is the possibility of 'bad rolls'.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017, 21:53   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The 'emergent property' of the existing system is the possibility of 'bad rolls'.
I am thinking of an emergent property as one where different game mechanics interact to create complex situations; a bad roll here is a direct, but obscure, outcome of a single mechanic. While I like the current system mathematically, I think it is confusing for a newcomer learning the game, and we aren't really looking for more barriers to entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
The reason I am advocating the existing mechanism is that it does the opposite: the resists are in the 'nice to have' category.
Yes, I like this about the current system too. I think that could be retained with fixed damage reduction and caps, though. If we were to take that as a given, where would you set the values?

Keep in mind with all this that I am looking at significant adjustment to the monster list, including introducing new monsters, adjusting the depths of current ones, changing movement (and maybe spellcasting) AI, introducing new spells (including some with combinations of damage types), and giving existing attack types extra side-effects when unresisted.
Old March 21, 2017, 22:35   #17
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Unresisted basic element caps at 1600, so single resist caps at 533, which is kind of an odd number.
A number is either odd or it isn't

*runs*
Old March 21, 2017, 23:03   #18
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
I think it's a little bit too neat if every high element has the same damage cap. Also, on the face of it, some of them (e.g. nether) seem like they should be more damaging than others (e.g. sound). There should be a range of caps.
Old March 21, 2017, 23:05   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine View Post
I think it's a little bit too neat if every high element has the same damage cap. Also, on the face of it, some of them (e.g. nether) seem like they should be more damaging than others (e.g. sound). There should be a range of caps.
What do you feel this adds to the game? Keep in mind that if we eliminate complexity in this area, it frees up more "mental space" (in the mind of someone learning the game for the first time) to add more complexity elsewhere.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017, 01:48   #20
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Increased damage and increased resistance makes 'grind for the perfect kit' more attractive to newbie (and everyone else.) I am not convinced this is the right way to go.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote