Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 29, 2015, 11:29   #1
Calandor
Rookie

Calandor is on a distinguished road
The Ability to Drop Gold in Player-Home

Does this exist, as an option? If items can be stored, why not gold? Or is the idea to just invest in an expensive item, then sell it later, to avoid wormtongue, smeagol, and the other thieves in the dungeon? Ty.
Calandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015, 12:16   #2
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Probably because gold is mostly useless in Angband. It's not like you're gonna buy your endgame gear from shops, but mostly find what you'll need. Start playing ironman games, and you'll see why gold is pretty much useless...

In multiplayer Angband, you get a command to drop gold, mainly because items can be traded between characters, so your 1M gold pieces you get at level 50 can be used to buy some nice boots of speed +10 if you don't have any, or a deep book, or even an artifact. In single player game, once you've passed the point of buying CCWs and recall scrolls, you can pretty much squelch gold.
Old September 29, 2015, 14:45   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As for thieves, if you kill them before leaving the level, they'll drop the gold they stole. It's not usually worth going out of your way to do so, though. Honestly the gold theft is far less annoying than the fact that the monster teleports away afterwards.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2015, 15:42   #4
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
As for thieves, if you kill them before leaving the level, they'll drop the gold they stole. It's not usually worth going out of your way to do so, though. Honestly the gold theft is far less annoying than the fact that the monster teleports away afterwards.
Some monsters steal items. That's a lot more annoying, and potentially even dangerous (you lose your only copy of Godly Insights for example).

Gold rarely means much.

[Spoiler] DEX 18/150 and above stops theft completely.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 00:20   #5
Calandor
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Honestly the gold theft is far less annoying than the fact that the monster teleports away afterwards.
Actually they're both annoying, since it's a little unclear whether the char is ready to take on uniques yet, or should even bother, (according to some guides). Whenever I pursue the thieves, they just steal more gold, and they typically regenerate hps quickly, so it may not be worth the trouble, as stated.

So this leads to avoiding the thieves, (at least until a specific char-level) -- but they seem to resurface on every level, and are a constant annoyance in the background, glomming certain rooms in given levels; etc.

Quote:
'Probably because gold is mostly useless in Angband. It's not like you're gonna buy your endgame gear from shops, but mostly find what you'll need.'
I'd read you could buy certain types of 80k items and similar things, (rarely), from the shops, not for long-term use, but just to prepare for the early-mid levels.

I usually play these types of games by just finding everything, but all guides for angband seem to indicate that this may not be the wisest idea: that instead, specific powers and resistances are useful; even essential, especially for newer players to this specific variant.

Quote:
[Spoiler] DEX 18/150 and above stops theft completely.
Yes, I'd read that. Also Int at 18/150 or so, gives a huge increase to mana, and spells/per/level. For that reason, I'm trying to prepare the mage for levels 30-32 or so, where stat potions reputedly reside, by stockpiling gold and buying or finding useful items. On the other hand, the longer one waits to dive to early-mid, the fewer level-gains with maxed-out INT and CON, so the fewer total SPs and HPs.

At some point, once I learn what monsters are safe and so on, (and once the minimal requirements for gear are more apparent), I'll probably try 'rushing' new characters to DLs 30/32, so as to gain the maximal benefit from said potions.

Quote:
Some monsters steal items. That's a lot more annoying, and potentially even dangerous
The idea seems to be to buy an expensive item, leave it in your house, then resell it later, (at a slight loss), if you need the gold later. Then the monsters can't steal it, (unless the rules are subsequently changed).

Quote:
Start playing ironman games
These seem an arbitrary attempt to make the game more interesting through a specific type of difficulty, which may not necessarily succeed. More specifically, they seem a little too 'arcade-style' or 'console-style' to really appeal: like nintendo rpgs from the 80s, or the equivalent.

Last edited by Calandor; September 30, 2015 at 00:37.
Old September 30, 2015, 00:33   #6
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
I've had the same thought as you regarding gold deposit in the home. I think it would be a logical inclusion for the house, regardless of whether this is optimal play or not. There have been a few times that I wish I had that option myself. Don't hold your breath for it to be included, however.

Since there isn't really anything to buy to resell that is worth anything, I just buy potions/scrolls that will more than likely be useful down the road. I fall on the 'digital hoarder' side of the fence on this one. Any option to cram more stuff in my backpack or home I'm for. I think I still have a six pack of ale in Galadriel's mirror come to think of it... be back in a few hours...
Old September 30, 2015, 00:51   #7
Calandor
Rookie

Quote:
regardless of whether this is optimal play or not.
Neither optimal, nor sub-par; merely logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
I've had the same thought as you regarding gold deposit in the home. I think it would be a logical inclusion for the house, regardless of whether this is optimal play or not. There have been a few times that I wish I had that option myself. Don't hold your breath for it to be included, however.
Actually I have a better idea. Since this is a roguelike, after all, there should be a kobold-bank in, say, level 10 or so, of the dungeon, written in Cobol. If your character robs it successfully, then you may store items and gold there, (possibly for a slight 'fee', given the territory). Think of it as a Thieves' Guild test, or entry requirement..
Old September 30, 2015, 03:25   #8
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calandor View Post
The idea seems to be to buy an expensive item, leave it in your house, then resell it later, (at a slight loss), if you need the gold later. Then the monsters can't steal it, (unless the rules are subsequently changed).
This is an old idea. Turn the "No selling" option on, and you'll get more gold than you could possibly ever use. You'll be tripping back to town far less often as well.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 04:11   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The problem with allowing gold deposits at the home is that it vastly neuters thieves in the dungeon, because no sane player would ever go into the dungeon with more than 0 gold in their wallet. It also means that every time you go to town you have to start with going to the home to withdraw your cash, and end with going to the home to deposit said cash again.

You might as well just change the game so thieves can only steal the money you've found since you last went to town...but that in turn incentivizes returning to town frequently, which is exactly the opposite of what the devs have been aiming towards in the last few versions.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 06:43   #10
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's a crazy idea: Remove thieves.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote