Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 28, 2017, 01:33   #21
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Aha, okay. In which case I'd be more inclined to carry a stack of Rods of Disarming, personally, since they hit an entire line of traps in one go.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 03:37   #22
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I've never failed on a trap in a vault that caused grave danger. I can't even remember failing on teleport level, (though I've stumbled on many trap doors I didn't see), and half my games are with HT-Warrior.

I'm also dubious of Restoration rod. Unless you can collect a few of them, they take way too long to recharge.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 04:13   #23
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
In vaults like Divisi, there is a high chance of either falling through a trap door after clearing the monsters but before examining the loot. It's not a critical point, but it's happened to me more than once as a Paladin.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 12:32   #24
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
I've never failed on a trap in a vault that caused grave danger. I can't even remember failing on teleport level, (though I've stumbled on many trap doors I didn't see), and half my games are with HT-Warrior.

I'm also dubious of Restoration rod. Unless you can collect a few of them, they take way too long to recharge.
Sounds like youre playing an older version. In the current nightly, and since a few patches thereof, traps have become an issue.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 12:41   #25
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Sounds like youre playing an older version. In the current nightly, and since a few patches thereof, traps have become an issue.
Interesting. I don't play the nightlies because I assume they are "unofficial" not fully tested versions. I'm playing 4.0.5.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 13:24   #26
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
Interesting. I don't play the nightlies because I assume they are "unofficial" not fully tested versions. I'm playing 4.0.5.
While somewhat true, and certainly true for most software, Nick is using the nightlies to test new features and his response time for bugs (the few that there are) is spectacular. The nightlies are generally very stable and bug-free. Check the forums for bug threads and if you don't see any, as now e.g., then you'll be safe to use them.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2017, 18:46   #27
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@Carnivean-- stable except for some persistent memory errors likely associated with object memory.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2017, 09:44   #28
Wanderlust
Apprentice

Wanderlust is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
While somewhat true, and certainly true for most software, Nick is using the nightlies to test new features and his response time for bugs (the few that there are) is spectacular. The nightlies are generally very stable and bug-free. Check the forums for bug threads and if you don't see any, as now e.g., then you'll be safe to use them.
It's great to know this, thank you. I've been playing 4.0.5. for the same reason as Grotug. But I'll switch to the latest nightly build next time I start a new @.

Does the ladder on this board work for the nightlies? The latest characters there seem to be 4.0.5.
Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017, 02:06   #29
Egavactip
Swordsman

Egavactip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Unvarying ways, yes. Most vaults are hugely painful without it. Fall through trap, summon ethereal vortex, lose str, teleport into room full of OOD monsters... Easier to carry the spell until you're happy with your kit.
Interestingly, I just won a game tonight with a paladin who never had any trouble with traps at all. My last priest, though...
Egavactip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2017, 04:15   #30
luneya
Adept

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
It's great to know this, thank you. I've been playing 4.0.5. for the same reason as Grotug. But I'll switch to the latest nightly build next time I start a new @.

Does the ladder on this board work for the nightlies? The latest characters there seem to be 4.0.5.
I think what happens is that the ladder can't tell the difference between nightlies and the release version. What you post to the ladder is just a text dump rather than a save file, so the only version identifier is the version number that appears on the text, which hasn't been updated in the current development series. Although there have been many changes in the game between 4.0.5 and the latest nightlies, there hasn't been anything that would be apparent from just a character dump.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote