Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 29, 2017, 13:51   #1
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
how much do you value stealth in the endgame?

assume no aggravate. let's say you are running an endgame melee character, plenty of TO, grinding the dungeon for gear / xp. your daily business is cleaning graveyards. would you still take a boots of elvenkind +2/+8 over a boots of speed +10? would you trade +4 stealth on a cloak over +1 STR ? would going from stealthoor to fair be worth 20dmg/round?
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017, 14:09   #2
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I think fair stealth is plenty. Sometimes it's annoying having too much stealth, because the sleeping whatever is blocking the awake thing you want to TO at the far end of a hallway. That said, I tend to get hung up on stealth when I get a string of gear buffing it (it's kinda fun going for legendary stealth), but it really isn't that necessary. Fair stealth is good enough. Even bad stealth is fine if your @ is boss. I think aggravating is too dangerous but sometimes bad stealth works out to your advantage if your @ is really strong.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017, 15:10   #3
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Assuming you can kill or easily remove everything you meet, I would value Stealth about as much as you value your time. 4 Stealth does seem more useful than 1 STR, even on a melee character, though it depends if you're at max blows. In case you're not familiar with how Stealth works, +3 stealth makes things wake up half as fast. Whether you want to get rid of 2 speed depends a lot on how much speed you already have, but most likely you get enough extra power out of the 2 speed that somewhat fewer forced interactions with monsters isn't worth it.

EDIT: An important thing to realize is the effect of Speed on monsters waking up. The fewer turns you spend around monsters, the less likely they are to wake up. So +10 Speed is equivalent to +3 stealth. This means your actual stealth is better than it might look at first.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2017, 17:05   #4
Sky
Swordsman

Sky is on a distinguished road
well, in the early game, stealth is very important, because i dont have to fight a ton of mobs at the same time, and i can just walk by things which are too strong - without wasting a TO from a wand or a teleport from the staff. but later on, everything seems to be awake, except those lazy dragons.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017, 01:34   #5
A Magical Lamp
Rookie

A Magical Lamp is on a distinguished road
The value of stealth depends on how much you have. If I'm a half troll warrior with no other stealth on my gear then adding one or two points isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference. If I've been stacking stealth a fair bit already it gets much better, one or two extra points can mean one or two less scary situations.
A Magical Lamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017, 03:08   #6
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I only rarely clear graveyards (e.g. as priest or paladin with amulet of sustenance and a big-ass Holy Avenger.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
assume no aggravate. let's say you are running an endgame melee character, plenty of TO, grinding the dungeon for gear / xp. your daily business is cleaning graveyards. would you still take a boots of elvenkind +2/+8 over a boots of speed +10? would you trade +4 stealth on a cloak over +1 STR ? would going from stealthoor to fair be worth 20dmg/round?
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2017, 08:04   #7
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
I only rarely clear graveyards (e.g. as priest or paladin with amulet of sustenance and a big-ass Holy Avenger.)
I don't often bother as a priest, much less so as a paladin. High undead are just that annoying. With mages I Banish for the goodies.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote