AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 1, 2011, 22:51   #141
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
I'm not saying it's great, but it's not junk. I use =Mouse over =Dog in most cases. They're both good once you find a scroll of restore item ...
Restore item? That makes no sense. They aren't disenchanted or damaged. They just have some negative values.

If you enchant Calris up to +9 to hit, and hit it with restore item, the appropriate change would be to reset it to -20 to hit. Does something else happen?
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 23:00   #142
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
Restore item? That makes no sense. They aren't disenchanted or damaged. They just have some negative values.

If you enchant Calris up to +9 to hit, and hit it with restore item, the appropriate change would be to reset it to -20 to hit. Does something else happen?
Restore item does two things:

First, it sets any of to_h, to_d or to_a to 0 if they are <0 - this is why it's good for things like =Mouse and =Dpg

Second, if the item is an artifact, it re-sets all those to the a_info template values. So yes, it would re-set Calris to -20 ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011, 23:06   #143
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Restore item does two things:

First, it sets any of to_h, to_d or to_a to 0 if they are <0 - this is why it's good for things like =Mouse and =Dpg
I really dislike this.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:56   #144
scud
Swordsman

scud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I use =Mouse over =Dog in most cases. They're both good once you find a scroll of restore item ...
Sorry if this is already 'ticketed', but being <s>young</s> new I can't find the bug reporting...

With OS X rev 9c5ac7e7ec a Scroll of Restore Item can only be applied to restorable items (sounds fair) but this has the effect of highlighting unidentified restorable items, eg those two unknown-but-restorable rings in my neophyte's pack turned out to to be Dog and Mouse. Would it have done the same with a cursed stealth or infravision item? Once applied to that item, would that item become a '+0' and simply cease to exist?!

I now wear a Dex+4 / Stealth +2 Mouse and a (+3/+3) Dog, which in combination take my trident from an average per round of 19.8 up to 35.8.

Scroll of Restore Item is *too* nice.
scud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2011, 09:02   #145
PowerDiver
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud View Post
Sorry if this is already 'ticketed', but being <s>young</s> new I can't find the bug reporting...

With OS X rev 9c5ac7e7ec a Scroll of Restore Item can only be applied to restorable items (sounds fair) but this has the effect of highlighting unidentified restorable items, eg those two unknown-but-restorable rings in my neophyte's pack turned out to to be Dog and Mouse. Would it have done the same with a cursed stealth or infravision item? Once applied to that item, would that item become a '+0' and simply cease to exist?!

I now wear a Dex+4 / Stealth +2 Mouse and a (+3/+3) Dog, which in combination take my trident from an average per round of 19.8 up to 35.8.

Scroll of Restore Item is *too* nice.
It should have the same price and rarity as ?*REMOVE_CURSE*, and even then I'd still complain.

It completely ruins the idea of mixed blessings. Instead, you have superior items that require a trick to use. Might as well play nethack.
Old January 19, 2011, 10:40   #146
scud
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
It completely ruins the idea of mixed blessings.
Yes indeed. Although the only 'mixed' item I've ever used is the ring/amulet(?) of teleportation with +4 speed which I'll occasionally remember to slip on during an early ruck.

Another problem: I've just picked up a Ring of the Dog <-1 stealth>. No mention of hit/damage/AC modifications. Can't be identified. Don't have a Restore to see if that does anything to it. Will report back.

Yet another problem: what's a Giant Grey Scorpion, why is it at 500', why is it moving so fast? It's like a Carrion Crawler on steroids.

Last edited by scud; January 19, 2011 at 11:54. Reason: Edit: not Carrion Crawlers. They're rubbish. Stegocentipedes?
Old January 19, 2011, 11:01   #147
scud
Swordsman

Found a Restore Item: Your Ring of the Dog is mended.

Still no mods to accuracy or damage: it's just -1 stealth versus protection from fear. Hmmmm.

Looking at my recently deceased Level 50 character I discover he met two Giant Grey Scorpions. Obviously not while he was at normal speed with HP111/AC29, though.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:10   #148
scud
Swordsman

Restore Item removes the 'to hit' penalty from heavy armour.

I'll shut up now and go and see if I can find the bug reports.

Sorry.