Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 23, 2011, 19:18   #11
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celem View Post
Its gonna have to be a weighted random of some kind
I was thinking of doing this with a weighted set of probabilities.

That said there's no reason you can't just make it "a random monster at or above the current monster's level" and make it a one-way street.

That certainly makes polymorph worse in the endgame, but probably still way more interesting than now... especially if you bring back chaos breath's historic ability to polymorph monsters it hits!
Old January 23, 2011, 21:22   #12
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Monsters still get a saving throw against polymorph, which is based on their level. You'll have difficulty polymorphing deep monsters to make your life easier. And if you turn a townsperson into a balrog and it pulverizes you, so what?

Weighted random is what we have right now, and it's dull dull dull.
One of the reasons I griped about it in the first place is that I think the saving throw makes using polymorph too hard. I say make it harder to resist, but produce a monster at or above the original's level.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 22:37   #13
Djabanete
Knight

Djabanete is on a distinguished road
I think the ideal solution is for Wands of Polymorph to appear in the midgame and cause full-random polymorph. That way characters have the resources to avoid instadeath by unlucky zap-ID, and if they want to have fun with Polymorph, they can assume that risk.

However, the polymorph effect of Wands of Wonder should be weighted-random, because it's not fair for zap-ID'ers to get instakilled by such an early wand. Suppose you're just learning some wand flavors and you happen to turn an icky thing into a Greater Balrog and it bites your head off? Exciting in the mid-to-late game, but unfair in the early game.
Djabanete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 22:52   #14
Ycombinator
Adept

Ycombinator is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
if you bring back chaos breath's historic ability to polymorph monsters it hits!
Wait, it doesn't? Chaos strike from Kelek's definitely has a chance to polymorph target in 3.2.0 (so many times I've turned a DROP_GOOD monster into some useless critter by carelessly applying this spell...). And I don't see any special handling for spell or breath in the code.
Ycombinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011, 18:26   #15
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't it be worse to polymorph something into a Balrog which then kills you if you had invested a good deal of time in a character? I would be more upset if this happened to a lvl 25+ char than a lower level one, less time lost.

Plus its a pretty hilarious death: You zap the snaga. The snaga is polymorphed! The balrog breathes fire (x2)...You die -more-

Mordrin, the level 16 dwarf warrior, was killed by a balrog on level 17
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011, 18:32   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabanete View Post
I think the ideal solution is for Wands of Polymorph to appear in the midgame and cause full-random polymorph. That way characters have the resources to avoid instadeath by unlucky zap-ID, and if they want to have fun with Polymorph, they can assume that risk.
I'm inclined to agree with EpicMan here. Untill you have basic4+poison resist, +10 permanent speed and access to temporary speed, and about 600 HP, random polymorph always has the potential for instadeath. That's so late in the game that delaying access to the spell until then means it won't get much use because players will have invested too much into their characters to risk using it.

If anything, it should show up earlier. Though the point about Wands of Wonder is well taken. Maybe replace the polymorph effect for those with teleport-other?
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011, 19:06   #17
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Wands of polymorph make sense as cursed wands, the same as wands of haste monster. You use one once and then squelch it. Of course, this only makes sense if they show up before the player is expected to be able to afford/cast id on them.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote