Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old October 30, 2007, 14:40   #1
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Its 4am - what are you drinking?

Okay, its 4am. Ish. You've been playing your favourite *band since teatime and you know from the ASCII behind your eyes that its time to sleep.

Problem is, you just got down to a fun depth, and if you get into bed now, you'll just lay awake, mind in overdrive thinking about that sweet vault you cracked 2 floors ago and how much you like your new sword, even though your body has just about given up.

One more dive, you think - hardly believing it yourself; lets face it - sometime around 5am, you'll be banging your head on the desk, because you just made the fatigued keystrokes that beat out the dull rhythm of the inexorable dance to character death.

But still, its only 4am, and you'll likely be heading to the kitchen at some point during the next hour, to "review your options, whilst taking refreshment."

First question is, what are you drinking at this point? Or eating, or whatever...

For me its usually stomach-crampingly strong black tea with brown sugar, black because I finished of the miilk at 2am, brown sugar to ease the cramps, and the fatigue sickness, and it ends up strong because in this zombie state I usually forget I started making a cup partway through and leave the tea bag in.

Second question is, why didn't you just go to bed?

For me, the answer is simple: I've had too many cups of black tea...
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2007, 15:06   #2
Atriel
Apprentice

Atriel is on a distinguished road
Really cool, poetic post, will save it...

"review your options, whilst taking refreshment." <-= both for real life and ang character life lol

>First question is, what are you drinking at this point? Or eating, or whatever...

For me its usually light coke, 2 liter packages... When i have to sleep i drink Fanta (no caffeine and C vitamin as bonus!)... By 4 am there are already like 5 half-full bottles of coke open by the side of the computer, and i go pick another at the freezer due to forgetting one is there already or they´re too hot. From time to time i put all the bottles in the freezer to cool. No gas is ok, warm is not... Then i wake up at 8 and drink some more coke, and go to work in a state mix between a jumpy horny rabbit and a paranoic irritated cat. When i do not have to work, my life is healty (cuz then i sleep, exercize, etc etc lol)

>Second question is, why didn't you just go to bed?

Light Coke has lots of caffeine too!
Atriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007, 10:15   #3
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
For me it's usually strong dark brown tea, even darker than usual because I'm trying to make the milk last ...

I eat fruit if there's any left (bananas, apples, kiwis - nothing you have to waste time peeling or preparing (yes, I eat kiwis whole, the skin is really tangy)), but usually there isn't so it's just bread (again, wasting no time toasting or buttering it)).

It's usually sleep that saves me from death though. If I eat, drink and wake up, the char will probably die. If I stagger up to bed, he lives to die another day.

But that has to be balanced against the immersion thing. When I come back to a char I've not played for a while, I almost always die because I've forgotten what that particular char's necessary style was. So playing on is often better, especially if I won't have a chance to play again for a few days.

CC
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007, 15:17   #4
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I drink a lot of black tea, no sugar, no milk (as is custom in my whereabouts).

But if I know I will have to last all night, I usually stock myself with Mountain Dew. That works wonders.
Old October 31, 2007, 16:16   #5
AR_chie
Apprentice

AR_chie is on a distinguished road
at so early morning I prefer black coffe with no sugar no milk - it makes my heart beat a little stronger
AR_chie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2007, 22:09   #6
Daven_26d1
Adept

Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
I have to admit to a bit of a Red Bull habit, but this is more of a wake-up thing than a stay up thing.

Usually, its for when I get out of bed early, so that I can play some roguelike or other for a couple of hours before someone disturbs me.
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2007, 08:30   #7
Frumple
Rookie

Frumple is on a distinguished road
Talking

*hums* Generally, these days? Water, but just 'cause I'm trying to lessen my caffeine intake... and I've spent multiple years on three hours minus of sleep a night (Though trying to lessen that intake, too, heh), so if I want to stay up, I stay up. But when I want to stay conscious? Well, there's a few things... as far as carbonated drinks go, it's Mountain Dew (Horrible, yes, but smooth going down and cheap.) or Barqs. I do drink tea, though it's a cheap kind, and not often... usually a honey/lemon/ginseng mix, sold off the shelf. It does alright.

Now, if I don't want to sleep for the next day... or three? Well, I'll share a little secret, in the fine art of horribly violating the ancient wonder that is hot tea: You know that Mountain Dew and Barqs (Any carbonated soda, really...)? I gots news... it can be boiled. What's more, you can use it in place of water, for that mentioned tea. What's yet more... It. Tastes. Wonderful. If you have a sweet tooth.

I've thus far tried it with three variations, the Hon/Lem/Gin with Mountain Dew (Tastes like molten grape juice.) and that dark M. Dew (Black Lightning?) they sold a while back (Molten. SUGAR. And yet wonderful. My 50ish year old english teacher liked it.), and a Pomegranite/Goiji Berry blend with boiled Barqs, which was really nice, if a bit more bitterish sweet than I prefer.
Frumple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2007, 08:43   #8
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
If I'm drinking anything at 4am it's liquor.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2007, 17:53   #9
EricCamp
Rookie

EricCamp is on a distinguished road
Coffee w/ sugar, cream, and chocolate powder.
Old November 6, 2007, 20:59   #10
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallucinationMushroom View Post
If I'm drinking anything at 4am it's liquor.
This is very true.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote