Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 27, 2010, 16:10   #21
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
i was kill once by greater baslisk i think i learn about poison then, eek!

please no change!!~

if psn is on res ego or elfkind watever is too easy!!

please is good as is, why so much changings?

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 01:39   #22
Lord Tom
Apprentice

Lord Tom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Speaking of which, has someone seen Pete writing recently? Has he disappeared?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350
eek!
Coincidence??!!
Lord Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 14:54   #23
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
The higher the poison counter the more damage it should do each turn. I'd rather poison was dangerous that way than yet another breath attack instant death.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 15:08   #24
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
The higher the poison counter the more damage it should do each turn. I'd rather poison was dangerous that way than yet another breath attack instant death.
...and mortal poisoning. I hope you have the antidote.
Old December 29, 2010, 19:45   #25
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
...and mortal poisoning. I hope you have the antidote.
Having just sorted out the confusion over confusion (it's now just a status effect, from which rConf protects you - it's no longer a breath type), the issue of poison is really bugging me. It's the last remaining element which is both a type of damage and a status effect. All the other status effects (blindness, fear, confusion, paralysis, stunning, cuts) are not damage types, but poison still is.

But I don't really see any way of changing it. Removing poison breath seems unnecessary just to neaten this up, and splitting off the status effect seems pointless.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 20:43   #26
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
+1 - poison should be a gradual killer (and C*W should not reduce poisoning)

A.
Old December 29, 2010, 21:26   #27
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
Having just sorted out the confusion over confusion (it's now just a status effect, from which rConf protects you - it's no longer a breath type), the issue of poison is really bugging me. It's the last remaining element which is both a type of damage and a status effect. All the other status effects (blindness, fear, confusion, paralysis, stunning, cuts) are not damage types, but poison still is.

But I don't really see any way of changing it. Removing poison breath seems unnecessary just to neaten this up, and splitting off the status effect seems pointless.
Gas could be the damage type with poison being the associated status effect. rGas reduces damage from gas breaths and prevents being poisoned from them. rPoison prevents being poisoned from any source (perhaps you could introduce more poison bolts from monsters as well as stinking cloud).

Have confusion breaths been renamed or just removed? The breath could be called turbulence or something.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 21:36   #28
ewert
Knight

ewert is on a distinguished road
You could add diseases (temporary stat drains that recover over time for example), and have a resist maladies or something, that protects from poison effects and diseases. Then have gas as the "poison" dmg type. Then you could have gas breathers do different effects ... even confusion for bronze dragons. Breathe gas, cause confusion. Gas would just be a damage type then ...

But gas is ... not really a damaging descriptive word in itself. So it could remain named poison ...
ewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 23:24   #29
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Gas could be the damage type with poison being the associated status effect. rGas reduces damage from gas breaths and prevents being poisoned from them. rPoison prevents being poisoned from any source (perhaps you could introduce more poison bolts from monsters as well as stinking cloud).

Have confusion breaths been renamed or just removed? The breath could be called turbulence or something.
It's been removed for now, but of course we're a long way from 3.3, so some sort of "bronze breath" could well return in its place.

I will see what takk thinks about splitting resistance to gas damage from that to poison status ...
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2010, 23:52   #30
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There could easily be different levels of poisoning, the way that there is with cut damage. (Which would actually help the "slow poison" spell seem more meaningful, if it visibly bumped you up from a level from "badly poisoned" to just plain "poisoned" instead of just chipping an unknown amount off the unseen counter.)

Quote:
How about calling the attack type 'venom', like the ego weapon? Venom attack, poison status effect.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote