Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 30, 2010, 02:06   #31
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
On a related note, do potions of salt water still cure poisoning? I know this is a fantasy game, but that totally doesn't make sense.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 03:05   #32
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I really liked the suggestion that high poison counters should have a chance each turn of confusing, stunning, blinding, causing hallucinations, or inducing vomiting. I'd much prefer that over just doing more damage.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2010, 10:38   #33
Twilight
Apprentice

Twilight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therem Harth View Post
On a related note, do potions of salt water still cure poisoning? I know this is a fantasy game, but that totally doesn't make sense.
Well - the logic, as you probably know, was that salt water induces vomiting up the poison, but OTOH almost all poisoning is administered in other ways in angband (breath, wounds ...).
Old December 30, 2010, 11:06   #34
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Gas could be the damage type with poison being the associated status effect. rGas reduces damage from gas breaths and prevents being poisoned from them. rPoison prevents being poisoned from any source (perhaps you could introduce more poison bolts from monsters as well as stinking cloud).
You could call that "breathe poison gas" instead of just "breathe poison". Inhaling and just being exposed to poisonous gas hurts immediately and effect lasts for some duration.

Problem with "poison" is reality. We all know what "poison" is and that it isn't any single thing. Some are instantly fatal or affect severely fast, some are slow, some are easy to cure, some nearly impossible to cure. Some affect thru skin, some need to be ingested, some inhaled, some need to get in bloodstream etc. Nothing really fits in Angband.

Resistant to one poison doesn't really mean that you resist all poisons.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010, 02:31   #35
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
How about changing confusion breaths to psionics, a kind of mind zap that hurts you and confuses you. Of course, we already have mind blast (or is that not in V?), so maybe that is too similar.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2010, 03:33   #36
Therem Harth
Knight

Therem Harth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Problem with "poison" is reality. We all know what "poison" is and that it isn't any single thing. Some are instantly fatal or affect severely fast, some are slow, some are easy to cure, some nearly impossible to cure. Some affect thru skin, some need to be ingested, some inhaled, some need to get in bloodstream etc. Nothing really fits in Angband.
Hmm...

Welcome to Duneband: the only variant with 50 different kinds of poison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
How about changing confusion breaths to psionics, a kind of mind zap that hurts you and confuses you. Of course, we already have mind blast (or is that not in V?), so maybe that is too similar.
Which could have the interesting side effect of causing temporary ESP. That'd be cool.
Therem Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2011, 23:35   #37
Chud
Swordsman

Chud is on a distinguished road
How about changing poison so that instead of wearing off, it gets worse over time, a bit like hunger?

- C*W does not cure it, but buys you time by healing
- At first it does no damage, just prevents regeneration, then after awhile it does 1HP every several turns, gradually accelerating if left untreated, until eventually it kills you if you can't cure it.

Not so much because this reflects how real poisons actually work (it doesn't, of course, for the vast majority of them), but just because it might be entertaining. Or call it something else if it's too incongruous a behavior for poison... which variant is it that has slime infections? Just a passing idea...
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 05:18   #38
MKula
Apprentice

MKula is on a distinguished road
I agree that poison as a whole needs some work.

I like the idea of a poison counter not unlike cuts, with more poison increasing the counter, which then increases the dmg/turn.

I always imagined the initial damage caused by a poison to be relatively weak; the real problem is the after-effects (i.e. the theoretical poison counter). How about this:

- Getting hit by a poison attack causes damage with an extremely low damage cap but adds to the poison counter. This damage should be un-resistable (or maybe 2/3 with rPois?).
- Ignoring other factors for now, the poison counter doesn't decrease with time, but rather increases, meaning it progressively gets worse. The rate at which the counter increases depends on how severe the poison is. So, the worse the poison, the worse it gets, and faster.
-Every turn you get a save to naturally resist the poison/reduce the counter/etc. With rPois, you get a better save/2 saves per turn/etc.

This way, like was mentioned before, the poison gets worse over time. Also, like was mentioned before, spells like Slow Poison become quite useful by having an effect quite visible to the player.
MKula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 07:08   #39
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
hi chud, i like your idea! hooo!~ it is about the only good change idea ive heard of im sorry, but if that was to be how poison was, please~ not like that for all poison!! only serious stuff?!! but is good idea, it would be adding intensity to game, ee!

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2011, 08:41   #40
Sirridan
Knight

Sirridan is on a distinguished road
!Neutralize poison, Mushrooms of purging, !salt water all become more useful if chud or MKula's suggestions come into play...

Right now they aren't so great, honestly I chuck them after IDing, I've never had to carry neutralize poison because I had !ccw, there are maybe 3 or 4 instances where If I happened to have or see one I'd drink it just so I don't waste CCW, but I never devoted a slot to it.
Sirridan is offline   Reply With Quote