Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 20, 2011, 15:10   #11
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Fear is kind of an odd-ball, a luxury, resist. I normally don't worry about it too much. If it can fear you, attack it at range. Retreat when afraid. Don't get feared multiple times (it increases the duration). A single fear-effect should wear off fairly quickly.

How deep are you? I'm thinking that FA need to be on full-time by now, not just as swap. What's your other ring? Lightning and what else?

Heroism is better than boldness. Berserk... even better.
Old January 20, 2011, 15:14   #12
Jude
Adept

Jude is on a distinguished road
Free action should be on permanently. Leave it off and you will get paralyzed and die, question of when and not if.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011, 15:30   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celem View Post
You got it right on infra vs seeinvis. Im meeting enough of these ghosts with 'clipping' style movement that I have to explore with the defender anyway. Between that and Amrod owning everything at range and the new electric brand off the ring im only getting totila out for the uniques or confusers. Saves me the free action ring slot the flail necessitates too.

Need fear resist...that seems to be the hole. Im chugging boldness potions like soda.
Potions Heroism give you temporary resist against fear that lasts the duration of the heroism effect. They are usually available at the temple. After some clvl (30 IIRC) warriors get resist fear.

For infravision +2 is not very good, and as Dunadan you don't have any innate ability, so you see only as far as your light reaches (shorter if you have +3 light range). However with higher infravision and some other race it works nearly like poor mans ESP showing you monsters way out of your light area. That can save your butt when entering new level (but again, not having any innate ability, gain is small).

Obviously See_Inv is preferred, because Infra doesn't show you ghosts (and few other monsters), but OTOH see_inv is limited to your visual lite range and infravision is not, so both is better than just one.

(something like Dwarf with Zarcuthra as weapon & Trickery +4 & wearing helmet of Infra +5 and Dwarven SomeDSM +2 has infra range of 20, which is same as your visual range)
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2011, 15:53   #14
celem
Rookie

celem is on a distinguished road
Im now at '1450, encountering carrion crawlers quite often so im very careful about putting on the FA ring when totila comes out. The second ring slot is either FA or sustinence when using the defender. I just havent found anything else to go in there.

Just dropped into an excellent feeling on 1450 and hacking my way through a seeming endless wall of ogres, trolls, half-trolls and so on sprinkled with some stuff totally new to me. Defender time till I see whats got what for abilities
celem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2011, 00:09   #15
celem
Rookie

There goes that character at last. Wasnt paying attention and got killed by Lokkak, ogre chieften at '1500. Forgot to run detect trap and fell into an ogre pit while wounded from the level above. Now that I've got a better handle on 1-30 I hope to get another guy there soon
Old January 21, 2011, 00:13   #16
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Lokkak's nasty -- strong melee, decent hitpoints, and he's fast. He's almost the culmination of the "melee brute" unique that started out with Lagduf; I think only Rogrog comes after him.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2011, 13:20   #17
celem
Rookie

Yeah he swung a lot, i wasnt even scratching him either and CCW barely kept up with his damage output. Going for revenge just now. High-elf warrior passing 1250

Got a similar defender to last time. Luckier ring drops have let me play about with boosting stats to get extra swings on the big heavy weapons. Got Ring of Dex+3 and ring of str+1 for 4 swings

Found Boots of Wormtongue (-1,-1) [2,0] (+3) which have been awesome. The hit/dam penalty is tiny and it gives 3 dex, 3 int and 3 speed which is proving very welcome
Old January 21, 2011, 14:26   #18
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
There goes that character at last. Wasnt paying attention and got killed by Lokkak, ogre chieften at '1500. Forgot to run detect trap and fell into an ogre pit while wounded from the level above. Now that I've got a better handle on 1-30 I hope to get another guy there soon
Small note: there is no such thing as ogre pit, and level change can never land you inside pit or vault. Next to them, yes but not in.
Old January 21, 2011, 15:29   #19
celem
Rookie

Ahh thats good to know. I came down in a hallway I think, but doors opened all around and everywhere I teleported to seemed to be swarming with stuff.

Im not sure I understand the differences in the terminology anyway, particularly when it comes to pits and vaults.

I did find a large rectangular room just now that i guess could be a vault. 1 door in and completely surrounded by a circular corridor. Room was completely full of slimes,moulds,jellies and fungi unlike the rest of the level. Met a lot of new types in the process of clearing it too. There was some magic book on the ground at the back but its not like my warrior can read.

EDIT: Incidentaly the magic book sold for 8400 so it must have been good. Also a patch of memory moss went to town on my xp. Is this gonna be a recurring theme? Can I resist/repair it?
Also the mass of acid jellies ate my plate armour down to -27 or something but I found some blue dragon armour which can cover for now.

Last edited by celem; January 21, 2011 at 15:56.
Old January 21, 2011, 16:07   #20
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Ahh thats good to know. I came down in a hallway I think, but doors opened all around and everywhere I teleported to seemed to be swarming with stuff.

Im not sure I understand the differences in the terminology anyway, particularly when it comes to pits and vaults.

I did find a large rectangular room just now that i guess could be a vault. 1 door in and completely surrounded by a circular corridor. Room was completely full of slimes,moulds,jellies and fungi unlike the rest of the level. Met a lot of new types in the process of clearing it too. There was some magic book on the ground at the back but its not like my warrior can read.
That would be jelly pit. Pits (and graveyards and zoos) are rooms like that. There is order in other types of pits so that the most dangerous and deepest monster is into middle and weaker ones are in the borders, but jelly pits, zoos and graveyards are unorganized. IIRC after a new changes in pits those three are also only ones with items inside them. Other pit types give reward from killing monsters.

Vaults are different kind of special rooms, usually quite large (with few exceptions) in many cases filled with monsters, traps and items and can have permanent walls with just one or two entries which you need to dig thru. Some of those are extremely dangerous and can contain monsters up to 40 levels OoD (actually a bit deeper than that, they are created like they were 40 levels OoD, which means 40 + what comes naturally).

Those same grids used to have item created as 20lvls OoD and guaranteed excellent (ego, artifact, dungeon spellbook) however unfortunately current 3.2 has a bug that makes them just guaranteed good. Getting dagger (1d4) (+1,+1) is not worth opening such a vault. This bug makes basically all the would-be-best GV:s just huge waste of time.

Fix would be easy in code, I hope we get 3.2.1 released soon and it contains that fix.

Note that pits never contain traps. If you magic-map an area and see a pit-like room with trap in it, then it is not a pit.