AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 22, 2011, 09:01   #31
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Or you learn what can drain your experience and don't get into melee with it. Wraiths, vampires, and ghosts are the main threats in that respect.

Experience drain is annoying but not worth losing anything actually important for. I never really worry about it.
Also you do gain XP while drained. It just is smaller amount IIRC 10% of usual amount. IE if you were near to gain next level when you got drained you get that level before you have killed enough monsters to restore normal operation.

Mainly any capital letter undead might (and usually do) drain XP, and some monsters use nether bolts or chaos attacks which also drains XP unless you have resist.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 12:43   #32
celem
Rookie

celem is on a distinguished road
New monsters...new questions.

Im having a hard time with Gravity Hounds. Which resist covers their breath attack? It really hurts
Well mainly I guess its them slowing then stunning me. But they are really starting to bug me

Less artifact luck this time through. Plenty dropping but so far everything is a cloak or a hat.
celem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 13:39   #33
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
None. Gravity and time hounds are among the most dangerous monsters in the game; landing in the middle of a pack of them can easily insta-kill you. Never, ever be in the middle of a full pack of those. Only killing them one at a time in a corridor might be considered safe (but the safer thing is always avoiding them completely).
This is one of the reasons why ?teleport (or the equivalent spell) is not considered a sound means of escape anymore after a certain depth.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 18:12   #34
celem
Rookie

Yeah they fairly brutalised me, I just sat tight chugging potions while they 'ported me about until I came down in a corridor and could spare a swing or two.

On the plus side I got myself a rod of Detection so I can now look before I leap

Edit: Hah, vengeance is mine. Killed Lokkak with my Westernesse Lead-filled mace at '2050.

Last edited by celem; January 23, 2011 at 19:08.
Old January 23, 2011, 22:28   #35
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celem View Post
Yeah they fairly brutalised me, I just sat tight chugging potions while they 'ported me about until I came down in a corridor and could spare a swing or two.
?teleport level or ?deep descent is your #1 way out in cases like this. Try to save a space for them in your inventory.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2011, 23:05   #36
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
?teleport level or ?deep descent is your #1 way out in cases like this. Try to save a space for them in your inventory.
Obviously the #1 is to not get to that situation in the first place. Key to survival in Angband is knowledge of your surroundings, especially monsters. ESP helps a lot.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2011, 00:43   #37
celem
Rookie

Hmm dont think i've come across ESP yet. Is it different from telepathy? I did get Thranduil but ive been wearing Thengel. Might swap em out since im not getting hit with confuse much.

Also now that my dex is starting to cap out I might swap cloak of thingol for Colannon. The extra speed would be nice.

Its all a bit luxurious just now since '2200 coughed up an awesome collection of drops. Ji Indur Dawndeath dropped axe of Hurin and Isildur's plate was lying on the floor as was leather scale mail Thalkettoth.

Seems I gotta make some choices, might be time to try the speed gear.
Old January 24, 2011, 00:46   #38
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
ESP (aka telepathy) > resist confusion.
Old January 24, 2011, 01:17   #39
celem
Rookie

No sooner did I decide so myself but I wandered blind into something horrific before recalling to get Thranduil from my home. I ran into a Greater draconic Qulythulg at 2250 and he seems to have summoned a nice little party of dragons to me. I got a Great Storm Wyrm, Smaug the Golden, Itankast and a collection of undead-looking dragon things. Gonna take a breather while I decide if this is a 'bail out' moment.
Old January 24, 2011, 04:28   #40
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
@celem--
No need to consider. It is a bail-out moment.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote