Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 27, 2019, 22:21   #1
Mudd
Adept

Mudd is on a distinguished road
New to Mage Class

It's been 1.5 to 2 years since I last played... I think it was 4.1.0.

Had gotten pretty good with High Elf Ranger characters... and beat the game a few times without cheating. My last character was abandoned on DL98 - just got bored with the endgame and quit.

D/Led the latest 4.1.3 and want to give it a try with a Mage. Have forgotten most of what I knew. My style leaned more toward grinding down levels than the deep dive more experienced folks espouse these days.

Considering a Gnome Mage - welcoming any advise toward Race or even class on this fresh start.

All comments much appreciated!
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 00:04   #2
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Considering a Gnome Mage - welcoming any advise toward Race or even class on this fresh start.
My advice, fwiw, is don't choose a gnome.
Or a mage.
I've never won with either!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 00:21   #3
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Gnomes are pretty squishy, and their stealth is decent. FA is actually less useful for Mages than most classes. I probably wouldn't go with a gnome, really. A hobbit only has marginally less hp (0.5/level I think) and has a bunch more stealth. The magical device skill is nice, but not vital.

I would probably go with either hobbit, high-elf, half-troll. Hobbit has good stealth, so if you want to use your detection and teleportation to avoid bad fights. High-elf has the best INT, good hp, and generally will be the best at your ordinary magely behavior, at the cost of a large XP penalty. Generally that penalty will work out to a level or two, so you'll still have better hp, mp, and failrates at the cost of slower access to spells, though towards the end of the game it will get quite hard to level up. If you get to that point, probably switch races, you'll understand how to play mages by then. Half-troll has bad INT but massive hp, good STR, and innate regen. Regen applies to spell points as well, so you'll have far more sustained power than you will expect from your relatively low mp capacity. Eventually, you'll have access to INT from gear and your mana will mostly recover.

Grinding will not work particularly well on a mage. You're better off detecting and killing targets of opportunity and covering a lot of ground.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 01:24   #4
Mudd
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
My advice, fwiw, is don't choose a gnome.
Or a mage.
I've never won with either!
lol! well hmmm there goes that idea.....
Old January 28, 2019, 01:26   #5
Mudd
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Gnomes are pretty squishy, and their stealth is decent. FA is actually less useful for Mages than most classes. I probably wouldn't go with a gnome, really. A hobbit only has marginally less hp (0.5/level I think) and has a bunch more stealth. The magical device skill is nice, but not vital.

I would probably go with either hobbit, high-elf, half-troll. Hobbit has good stealth, so if you want to use your detection and teleportation to avoid bad fights. High-elf has the best INT, good hp, and generally will be the best at your ordinary magely behavior, at the cost of a large XP penalty. Generally that penalty will work out to a level or two, so you'll still have better hp, mp, and failrates at the cost of slower access to spells, though towards the end of the game it will get quite hard to level up. If you get to that point, probably switch races, you'll understand how to play mages by then. Half-troll has bad INT but massive hp, good STR, and innate regen. Regen applies to spell points as well, so you'll have far more sustained power than you will expect from your relatively low mp capacity. Eventually, you'll have access to INT from gear and your mana will mostly recover.

Grinding will not work particularly well on a mage. You're better off detecting and killing targets of opportunity and covering a lot of ground.

Good pointers... will look into Hobbit or High Elf... Half Troll is just too counterintuitive to me for a mage
Old January 28, 2019, 01:29   #6
Mudd
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post

i gotta say ... clearing levels is a hard habit to break.... 8^)
Old January 28, 2019, 02:23   #7
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Good pointers... will look into Hobbit or High Elf... Half Troll is just too counterintuitive to me for a mage
Give it a shot, seriously. Odds are you're going to be making a lot of attempts; mages die very easily, especially if you lack familiarity with the game. It won't hurt for a few of those attempts to be with "odd" races. You have to free yourself from a stereotyped mentality.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 02:37   #8
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I find half trolls to be the easiest mages. You're strong enough to be wearing actual armour & that combined with more hps helps you to not die everytime you land a phase/teleport next to a mob of large cats or the like. By the time spells get competitive with devices you'll of fixed the int problem. Just find yourself a pair of mouse rings, dive picking up a bunch of devices & drink !int like a junky. They can be pretty fun if you're into device blasting.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 09:13   #9
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Half-Troll is quite easy as mage since you start with regen and low SP pool, so you're pretty much never out of SP. And you have the stat to sustain a few hits in melee. And you level up fast...
Old January 30, 2019, 08:12   #10
Mudd
Adept

ok ok alright already.. my next character will be a half troll mage... 8^)