Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2019, 22:21   #1
Mudd
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Mudd is on a distinguished road
New to Mage Class

It's been 1.5 to 2 years since I last played... I think it was 4.1.0.

Had gotten pretty good with High Elf Ranger characters... and beat the game a few times without cheating. My last character was abandoned on DL98 - just got bored with the endgame and quit.

D/Led the latest 4.1.3 and want to give it a try with a Mage. Have forgotten most of what I knew. My style leaned more toward grinding down levels than the deep dive more experienced folks espouse these days.

Considering a Gnome Mage - welcoming any advise toward Race or even class on this fresh start.

All comments much appreciated!
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 00:04   #2
MattB
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 1,153
MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Considering a Gnome Mage - welcoming any advise toward Race or even class on this fresh start.
My advice, fwiw, is don't choose a gnome.
Or a mage.
I've never won with either!
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 00:21   #3
Philip
Knight
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague,Czech Republic
Posts: 894
Philip is on a distinguished road
Gnomes are pretty squishy, and their stealth is decent. FA is actually less useful for Mages than most classes. I probably wouldn't go with a gnome, really. A hobbit only has marginally less hp (0.5/level I think) and has a bunch more stealth. The magical device skill is nice, but not vital.

I would probably go with either hobbit, high-elf, half-troll. Hobbit has good stealth, so if you want to use your detection and teleportation to avoid bad fights. High-elf has the best INT, good hp, and generally will be the best at your ordinary magely behavior, at the cost of a large XP penalty. Generally that penalty will work out to a level or two, so you'll still have better hp, mp, and failrates at the cost of slower access to spells, though towards the end of the game it will get quite hard to level up. If you get to that point, probably switch races, you'll understand how to play mages by then. Half-troll has bad INT but massive hp, good STR, and innate regen. Regen applies to spell points as well, so you'll have far more sustained power than you will expect from your relatively low mp capacity. Eventually, you'll have access to INT from gear and your mana will mostly recover.

Grinding will not work particularly well on a mage. You're better off detecting and killing targets of opportunity and covering a lot of ground.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 01:24   #4
Mudd
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Mudd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
My advice, fwiw, is don't choose a gnome.
Or a mage.
I've never won with either!
lol! well hmmm there goes that idea.....
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 01:26   #5
Mudd
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Mudd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Gnomes are pretty squishy, and their stealth is decent. FA is actually less useful for Mages than most classes. I probably wouldn't go with a gnome, really. A hobbit only has marginally less hp (0.5/level I think) and has a bunch more stealth. The magical device skill is nice, but not vital.

I would probably go with either hobbit, high-elf, half-troll. Hobbit has good stealth, so if you want to use your detection and teleportation to avoid bad fights. High-elf has the best INT, good hp, and generally will be the best at your ordinary magely behavior, at the cost of a large XP penalty. Generally that penalty will work out to a level or two, so you'll still have better hp, mp, and failrates at the cost of slower access to spells, though towards the end of the game it will get quite hard to level up. If you get to that point, probably switch races, you'll understand how to play mages by then. Half-troll has bad INT but massive hp, good STR, and innate regen. Regen applies to spell points as well, so you'll have far more sustained power than you will expect from your relatively low mp capacity. Eventually, you'll have access to INT from gear and your mana will mostly recover.

Grinding will not work particularly well on a mage. You're better off detecting and killing targets of opportunity and covering a lot of ground.

Good pointers... will look into Hobbit or High Elf... Half Troll is just too counterintuitive to me for a mage
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 01:29   #6
Mudd
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Mudd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Gnomes are pretty squishy, and their stealth is decent. FA is actually less useful for Mages than most classes. I probably wouldn't go with a gnome, really. A hobbit only has marginally less hp (0.5/level I think) and has a bunch more stealth. The magical device skill is nice, but not vital.

I would probably go with either hobbit, high-elf, half-troll. Hobbit has good stealth, so if you want to use your detection and teleportation to avoid bad fights. High-elf has the best INT, good hp, and generally will be the best at your ordinary magely behavior, at the cost of a large XP penalty. Generally that penalty will work out to a level or two, so you'll still have better hp, mp, and failrates at the cost of slower access to spells, though towards the end of the game it will get quite hard to level up. If you get to that point, probably switch races, you'll understand how to play mages by then. Half-troll has bad INT but massive hp, good STR, and innate regen. Regen applies to spell points as well, so you'll have far more sustained power than you will expect from your relatively low mp capacity. Eventually, you'll have access to INT from gear and your mana will mostly recover.

Grinding will not work particularly well on a mage. You're better off detecting and killing targets of opportunity and covering a lot of ground.

i gotta say ... clearing levels is a hard habit to break.... 8^)
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 02:23   #7
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,916
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd View Post
Good pointers... will look into Hobbit or High Elf... Half Troll is just too counterintuitive to me for a mage
Give it a shot, seriously. Odds are you're going to be making a lot of attempts; mages die very easily, especially if you lack familiarity with the game. It won't hurt for a few of those attempts to be with "odd" races. You have to free yourself from a stereotyped mentality.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 02:37   #8
wobbly
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 2,077
wobbly is on a distinguished road
I find half trolls to be the easiest mages. You're strong enough to be wearing actual armour & that combined with more hps helps you to not die everytime you land a phase/teleport next to a mob of large cats or the like. By the time spells get competitive with devices you'll of fixed the int problem. Just find yourself a pair of mouse rings, dive picking up a bunch of devices & drink !int like a junky. They can be pretty fun if you're into device blasting.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2019, 09:13   #9
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,665
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Half-Troll is quite easy as mage since you start with regen and low SP pool, so you're pretty much never out of SP. And you have the stat to sustain a few hits in melee. And you level up fast...
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 08:12   #10
Mudd
Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 103
Mudd is on a distinguished road
ok ok alright already.. my next character will be a half troll mage... 8^)
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new class? Tibarius Vanilla 11 July 18, 2011 19:53
New class? Philip Development 9 June 19, 2011 00:22
What is your favorite class and why? Wraitheist Vanilla 50 May 9, 2009 20:28
This Class. Right here. Larvitz Vanilla 1 January 24, 2009 19:43
YACD my first mage (but not getting the full mage experience) will_asher AAR 9 September 8, 2007 07:34


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.