Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 27, 2019, 21:40   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
OK, so I can see the problem. I believe it's related to the fact that you're playing with persistent levels (which is non-traditional, experimental, and has only recently been even possible); also it seems to only happen in the town and during the day.

I have filed it as a bug; the good news is, I think you should be able to continue playing pretty much unhindered, except you'll have to stumble around the town during the day...
Old March 28, 2019, 11:15   #12
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
OK, so I can see the problem. I believe it's related to the fact that you're playing with persistent levels (which is non-traditional, experimental, and has only recently been even possible); also it seems to only happen in the town and during the day.

I have filed it as a bug; the good news is, I think you should be able to continue playing pretty much unhindered, except you'll have to stumble around the town during the day...

Yeah, I wanted to play it, because it can get annoying when some monsters drop you a level (some sort of demon I think), and you lose everything you haven't picked up yet, or had to drop for battle purposes (being slowed by heavy objects).

But no... If it was during the day in town (it's night in both games), then why would I be blind in town without the status effect being shown? (I can't read any spell books in town during the day.) Also it seems like Nayla going down the first flight from town, drops her in the middle of the 1st lvl (50') map, and going up the stairs, they dump you on a random town location, rather than the stairs.

Last edited by Sparrow the Dunadan; March 28, 2019 at 13:47.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2019, 12:38   #13
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow the Dunadan View Post
But no... when I go back down in the dungeon, the light source still is not working. Also if it was during the day in town, then why would I be blind in town without the status effect being shown? (I can't read any spell books in town during the day.)
Odd, every time I test it light seems to work in the dungeon. The effect in town is as if daylight isn't working, which is strange, but I'm guessing some side effect of persistent levels.

I will keep thinking about it.
Old March 29, 2019, 12:00   #14
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Odd, every time I test it light seems to work in the dungeon. The effect in town is as if daylight isn't working, which is strange, but I'm guessing some side effect of persistent levels.

I will keep thinking about it.
Yeah, I tried it again, and light source does work in the dungeon now, I think maybe in the previous version it didn't. I'll see if I can track down the previous version's character where I was blind in the dungeon too.... but then that's that version and not the current version.

But right now isn't it night (or seems to be based on the light levels apart from myself) on both my characters that are being currently affected? But that leads me to ask, how does town time even work in this game?
Old March 29, 2019, 15:05   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But that leads me to ask, how does town time even work in this game?
It looks at the turn-count.
In more depth it looks if you are on dlvl 0 (town), checks the turn-count, prints a message then "casts" illumination or darkness on the whole level.

It is interesting whether it's only happening in town as town is a special case (the light source doesn't tick down on a wielded torch or lantern during the day)
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 17:29   #16
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But right now isn't it night (or seems to be based on the light levels apart from myself) on both my characters that are being currently affected?
Isn't it night? - Maybe.
It looks at is_daylight(true/false) when it decides whether to construct the light radius of the player.
It looks for if the square is lit when it displays on the screen or when it checks if you can read.
The game is quite capable of thinking it's day & the squares are not lit. It shouldn't happen but if something goes wrong & it does then it doesn't construct the players light source. The display would appear to be night even though the game thinks it's day.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 17:56   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
If I recall correctly, day lasts for 100k game turns (10k normal-speed player turns), and then night for a similar amount of time.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2019, 17:58   #18
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Isn't it night? - Maybe.
It looks at is_daylight(true/false) when it decides whether to construct the light radius of the player.
It looks for if the square is lit when it displays on the screen or when it checks if you can read.
The game is quite capable of thinking it's day & the squares are not lit. It shouldn't happen but if something goes wrong & it does then it doesn't construct the players light source. The display would appear to be night even though the game thinks it's day.
Well that sounds very broken when there's no blind status effect in play. :/