Views:	73
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1715  
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 16:36   #2
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
I don't play with tiles, but it looks like a vault (special room with most indestructible walls, dangerous monsters, and treasure) or a pit (rectangular room filled with treasure and monsters with a common theme, for instance all dragons, all undead, animals...)
In both cases, be *very* careful --- good loot comes with dangerous monsters. You'd better detect monsters to know what is expecting (if you can), and be ready to bail out and leave the level while your HP is still in the positive.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 12:03   #3
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
I don't play with tiles, but it looks like a vault (special room with most indestructible walls, dangerous monsters, and treasure) or a pit (rectangular room filled with treasure and monsters with a common theme, for instance all dragons, all undead, animals...)
In both cases, be *very* careful --- good loot comes with dangerous monsters. You'd better detect monsters to know what is expecting (if you can), and be ready to bail out and leave the level while your HP is still in the positive.
Yeah, it had some monsters in the vault. But the two sides I've opened seemed really tame. Nothing I couldn't handle. I got Foragsil, some nice armor, and an ego bow with arrows of wounding, so it was easy thus far. Recalled up to town to sell off my loot, and going to dive back down to get this rest. (Persistent levels makes that possible, thankfully. Sometimes playing without it on makes it hassle to pick and choose what loot to take.)
Old April 12, 2019, 23:57   #4
luneya
Swordsman

luneya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow the Dunadan View Post
Yeah, it had some monsters in the vault. But the two sides I've opened seemed really tame. Nothing I couldn't handle. I got Foragsil, some nice armor, and an ego bow with arrows of wounding, so it was easy thus far. Recalled up to town to sell off my loot, and going to dive back down to get this rest. (Persistent levels makes that possible, thankfully. Sometimes playing without it on makes it hassle to pick and choose what loot to take.)
At shallow depths, you'll sometimes find vaults that are all but unguarded. Once you get deeper, vaults will tend to have hordes of nasty uniques along with the juicy treasure. So whenever you find a level with a vault, it's worth walking in that direction, but make sure that you fire up your best detection before you crack it open, or you won't live to tell about it.
luneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 01:49   #5
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by luneya View Post
At shallow depths, you'll sometimes find vaults that are all but unguarded. Once you get deeper, vaults will tend to have hordes of nasty uniques along with the juicy treasure. So whenever you find a level with a vault, it's worth walking in that direction, but make sure that you fire up your best detection before you crack it open, or you won't live to tell about it.
Well I got level feelings on (since when you enter the level, it'll tell you what deep monsters and uniques are spawned there), so I don't always do a detection spell as frequently as I probably should.... but I do try to detect monsters when I feel I'm heading towards more dangerous level.
Old April 14, 2019, 05:34   #6
Monkey Face
Adept

Monkey Face is on a distinguished road
It's usually best to detect monsters frequently regardless of level feelings because dangerous monsters can still spawn while you're on the level. You just know that if the level feeling is relatively low, you're not going to run into a vault with lots of out of depth monsters in close proximity.
Monkey Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2019, 08:56   #7
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Face View Post
It's usually best to detect monsters frequently regardless of level feelings because dangerous monsters can still spawn while you're on the level. You just know that if the level feeling is relatively low, you're not going to run into a vault with lots of out of depth monsters in close proximity.
With the way I have it set up, it will tell me if an out of level monster spawns. Plus I've been playing Angband off and on for since the early 90's. So I know what kinds of monsters and dangers to expect for the most part throughout the different updated versions over the years. I'm no n00b. I'm a casual veteran, who has only recently joined forums for the social aspect.