AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 23, 2019, 00:54   #51
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounded View Post
No objection to the percentage myself but I grok the "it's another number I have to maintain" perspective.
Gotta love Martian language.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 01:15   #52
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Would it be better if we came up with a set of 10 descriptors of how hungry @ is, like the "very bad <-> superb" scale, and displayed that instead of a percentage? That would give you a pretty clear idea of your hunger state without breaking it down to a specific number.

Let's see...

Starving
Ravenous
Famished
Hungry
Peckish
I Could Eat
Not Hungry
Full
Stuffed
Bloated

So, Instead of hitpoints, why not have:

dying
perishing
withering
moribund
declining
mortal
lively
sturdy
robust
vigorous

“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 02:06   #53
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
The food percentage. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a tad too numbery. Knowing the percentage of hunger feels like a bit too much information. But I'll probably get used to it after a couple of games.
I feel like it's actually reasonable for the player to know fairly precisely how full they are - in the same way as they know stuff like SP and HP. Maybe percentage is a bit too fine-grained, but it's easily understandable and I think other methods would be more intrusive. Also I do feel that it'll just become background as people get used to it.

Quote:
Does the effect of shield bash depend on the shield @ is wearing?
Yes, heavier shields and especially bigger damage dice both improve bash damage.

Quote:
Does shield bash do damage or does it only stun?
It does damage.

Quote:
I suppose bg tries to shield bash every time he hits, but what is the success percentage and what does it depend on?
There's a succession of things that get checked:
  • Basic chance depends on the player's to-hit skill and DEX
  • Player doesn't bother with a shield bash for low level monsters
  • Chance is increased if the player has a weapon with small dice, and increased by more if they have no weapon
  • Higher level monsters are harder to bash

Quote:
At what level blackguard gets the first spell?
Level 8.

It's also worth mentioning that warriors and paladins also get shield bashes.
Old August 23, 2019, 07:51   #54
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Wand of Darkness is supposed to do 6d8 dmg according to item knowledge, which would be a very nice ranged attack in the early game. Right?

It does next to nothing. It creates a beam that doesn't do any damage. Heck, it doesn't even make the squares dark

Tested in angband.live 4.2.0 with a Kobold Blackguard. Tried to aim it at various monsters, even at Light Hounds.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 09:19   #55
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
Wand of Darkness is supposed to do 6d8 dmg according to item knowledge, which would be a very nice ranged attack in the early game. Right?

It does next to nothing. It creates a beam that doesn't do any damage.
Well, it does damage to darkness-sensitive monsters, in the same way wands of light only damage light-sensitive monsters and StM only damages rock-like monsters. The fact that there aren't any darkness-sensitive monsters is surely not my fault

You'll notice dark hounds breathe dark, whereas the wand creates darkness. This is (clearly) a bit confusing - how do people think it should be resolved?

Quote:
Heck, it doesn't even make the squares dark

Tested in angband.live 4.2.0 with a Kobold Blackguard.
It does. Try darkening some squares in a lit room, and then watch your light meter as you step on and off them.
Old August 23, 2019, 09:37   #56
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Well, it does damage to darkness-sensitive monsters, in the same way wands of light only damage light-sensitive monsters and StM only damages rock-like monsters. The fact that there aren't any darkness-sensitive monsters is surely not my fault

You'll notice dark hounds breathe dark, whereas the wand creates darkness. This is (clearly) a bit confusing - how do people think it should be resolved?
Ok, thanks. I knew there yet isn't RES_DARK or VULN_DARK flag for monsters at all. But if the item knowledge says it does 6d8, it clearly should do plain damage (just like starlight now does). Although, 6d8 sounds quite strong given how early WoD:s start to appear.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 09:57   #57
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I feel like it's actually reasonable for the player to know fairly precisely how full they are - in the same way as they know stuff like SP and HP. Maybe percentage is a bit too fine-grained, but it's easily understandable and I think other methods would be more intrusive. Also I do feel that it'll just become background as people get used to it.
Yup. That was just my first impression after opening the game for the first time in a while. UI-wise using percentage differs from other elements. Personally I would have preferred a bar of somekind somewhere with the other stats, but that's just me of course. I'll get use to it quickly. And the use of colors to indicate thresholds helps a lot.

Thanks for the information on the blackguard and shield bash. It would be awesome if that info would be found somewhere in the manual. And actually for all classes. A table showing the relevant character levels and class abilities that follow or something. Also a full chapter on shield bash would be much valued here.

I love the new enemies so far. I haven't got very deep yet though.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 11:40   #58
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok, thanks. I knew there yet isn't RES_DARK or VULN_DARK flag for monsters at all. But if the item knowledge says it does 6d8, it clearly should do plain damage (just like starlight now does). Although, 6d8 sounds quite strong given how early WoD:s start to appear.
wand of light item knowledge always used to say 6d8..
Gwarl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 19:01   #59
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If an item claims to be useful for a purpose but is in fact not, then that deception ought to be removed -- even if the reason why they aren't useful is due to circumstance (lack of vulnerable enemies) rather than game logic. Same reason why healing potions shouldn't claim they can be thrown for damaging effect.

Besides, enemies that are specifically vulnerable to darkness feel a bit weird. What are they doing in a dark dungeon?

Quote:
The easy fix is to remove the claim that the wand does damage. Failing that, you could make it deal less damage, but of the "hard" darkness element (that damages everything, as per Dark Hound breath). I believe orcs and undead are resistant to darkness by default, which would somewhat limit the wand's utility against most early groups.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2019, 19:53   #60
Oraticus
Apprentice

Oraticus is on a distinguished road
First things first... I'm an stupid excited about the new versions and the new classes. I'm on vacation, but had to use phone data to download this... no way I was not playing it!!!

I don't know if there is going to be a "bug section", so I'll post here. I've already seen people mention the wand of darkness not doing damage, so I won't go into that, but I have noticed that both that wand and "raise earth" haven't been updating the relevant elements in monster memory (I assume raise earth is shards damage).

Not getting weakness and resistance info is annoying when you're trying to fill out monster lore.
Oraticus is offline   Reply With Quote