AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 20, 2019, 19:17   #41
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
my thoughts

Nick is the current maintainer, right?

I just analyzed the class.txt file for 4.2.0 to see if i can figure out the reason why necromancers and wizards can buy 3 books in town and the other two classes only two.

You did a good job in thematically aranging spells to the classes. Even better would it have been if things like frost bolt or fireball would not be in the arcane spells section any longer, because elemental is obviously druids favor. The character generation help says "Druids can charm monsters" ... i actually missed how that works. Is it a spell? I just noticed the command spell for high level necros, is that a charm equivalent?

The highlights are from my point of view: shapechanging, vampyr spells & command.

But you created a totally new game, this has nothing to do with Moria anymore.

And from a game mechanics point of view you failed totally in my eyes.
The highlevel damage output is for the spellcasting classes way too low and varies between the four classes. Melee combat classes have what? 5(6) attacks with an average of around 100 damage? Why do spellcasters have just half of that?

Why do druids get haste self? I mean that perfectly fits to rogues (and i thought wizards).

Even worse! Looking through the hybrid classes paladins get slay evil (works vs Morgoth) and increases the damage difference to spellcasters even more.

So if there is any variant maintainer out there, i am seeking one who would be interested / willing to let me shape the wizard's class. Power Wyrm maybe? You seem to be an excellent coder and i had the impression we two share at least equal looks on this great game.

Main changes would be:
+ MORE than LESS books (maybe even so many books that mages cannot learn all spells, they can choose which ones to learn at last)
+ broader drop level to book power level: the new books are just between 30 and 60 (so the first 30 and the last 30 dungeon levels cannot hold anything good for pure spellcasters and are way less interesting to play)
+ either remove spell casting XP bonus (1st time) or make it worth something
+ remove character level restrictions from spells (you are limited by the mana cost of the spell, and early drops should benefit the character)

Any variant maintainer out there, or someone willing to replace Nick? Please contact me via forum message, Thanks.

Last edited by Tibarius; October 20, 2019 at 19:57.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2019, 19:59   #42
Tibarius
Swordsman

+1 from me for ...

+1 for the following two ideas from me:
=> STR influencing the number of equipment slots (more STR = more slots)
=> spellcasters do not need books to cast spells (they just have a list of learned spells)

Aquire new spells (without books) could be done like this:
+ @ can learn from scrolls/books he finds in the dungeon which always hold only one spell at a time (then the choose to learn spells ability makes much more sense than now)
+ learning spells from scrolls / books would also allow to adjust drop level much easier to the power of the spell (priest(good) oppose necros(evil), arcane(training & will) opposes druids(natural powers) You can learn all spells you find except the spells of your opposition. Spells which are not your own type cost double mana to cast.
Old October 21, 2019, 04:53   #43
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibarius View Post
Any variant maintainer out there, or someone willing to replace Nick?
As I have said here before, the label "Angband maintainer" is not really an official one. I am generally regarded as the maintainer currently, and the versions I am putting out are regarded as the "official" Angband, only because most of the people prepared to comment on the matter agree.

If someone else wants to call themself Angband maintainer, all they have to do is put out a version that they claim is the official Angband. It's really that simple.
Old October 21, 2019, 05:44   #44
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Any variant maintainer out there, or someone willing to replace Nick?
Alright, I was civil in my earlier response, but now I'm gonna be blunt. You have the following options, in no particular order:

* You may do the work yourself. Make the game you want. If enough people like it, congratulations you're the maintainer now.
* You may play older versions that better adhere to what you want from the game.
* You may drop the attitude, and civilly argue for a different direction of development, while accepting that nobody is obliged to listen to or agree with you.

What you may not do is bitch and moan about how a volunteer is ruining your precious game. This forum's old posts are full of in-depth, passionately-argued debates over how some part of the game ought to work, where everyone involved was able to treat the others like capable, thoughtful, and well-intentioned adults. You could stand to learn from those examples.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 13:10   #45
Tibarius
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
* You may do the work yourself. Make the game you want. If enough people like it, congratulations you're the maintainer now.
Great! I doubt that it works that easy, but surely we can try

So who is putting the official download files at the rephial.org website? Please give me a forum message, thanks.

I am more than willing to modify the class.txt file restricting myself to the mage class for first and shape a spell list which i believe would be more fun to play, would be more balanced to the damage output of warriors and has more variety. We could version it as 4.2.1.

Overall i believe the user visible modifications to the game while Nick's was/is maintainer has done the game no good. I repeat my statement that whoever steps forward with coding experience willing to replace Nick as official maintainer would get my personal backup.
Old October 21, 2019, 14:09   #46
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Tibarius-- rephial is nick's site. But you can put whatever you like on github. That said, editing the config files doesn't make you a developer. And if all you do is insult nick, no one is likely to want you as maintainer anyway.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2019, 16:07   #47
Tibarius
Swordsman

maintainer

Oh, a maintainer must be liked ... i thought the game versions developed are the objects a maintainer is measured by. If the game version is liked by a majority i personally do not care about how well liked the maintainer is.

By the way, i just clearly stated that i am not apreciating what he does, at least the user visible parts. Insulting is surely something else.
Old October 21, 2019, 16:11   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Great! I doubt that it works that easy, but surely we can try
Precisely. It is not easy to be a maintainer. There is a huge amount of work that goes into making improvements to the game. I'm sure Nick would gladly hand over the reins to someone who demonstrated they were willing and able to do a better job than he could. It's much easier to be an occasional contributor than to be responsible for the entire project.

But regardless of what you do, you need to stop saying things like this:

Quote:
Overall i believe the user visible modifications to the game while Nick's was/is maintainer has done the game no good.
Your behavior is unbelievably rude, and nobody is going to listen to you unless you start being more polite.

You are allowed to disagree and to hold unpopular opinions! Heaven knows there's been plenty of arguments on these forums. But if you can't be polite then you are not welcome here.

EDIT: if you don't understand why your actions are rude, then you have some remedial social interaction studying to do. When you insult someone's works, you insult them as well. Would you walk up to a painter as they stand before their masterpiece and say "wow, what an ugly painting"?
Old October 21, 2019, 16:16   #49
Tibarius
Swordsman

[QUOTE=Derakon;140643]
Quote:
Would you walk up to a painter as they stand before their masterpiece and say "wow, what an ugly painting"?
I see nothing wrong in doing so. If the painter is not interested in my opinion, he can just ignore me. Same goes for posting here ... you do not agree with them, you do not like them - no problem, just ignore them.
Old October 21, 2019, 16:29   #50
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:

I see nothing wrong in doing so. If the painter is not interested in my opinion, he can just ignore me. Same goes for posting here ... you do not agree with them, you do not like them - no problem, just ignore them.
Sorry, no, society does not work that way. We do not wander around slinging insults at other people, secure in the knowledge that "it's OK, they can just ignore us!" Speaking as someone who was bullied throughout their childhood: words can absolutely cause harm, even if they are spoken without intent to harm. And people do not have magical "just ignore this person" powers.

When someone tells you to just ignore someone else, what they're really saying is "This person is beneath contempt. By pretending they do not exist, hopefully we will communicate to them that their presence is not wanted, and they will go away without forcing a socially awkward confrontation."