AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old August 18, 2008, 20:58   #31
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog73 View Post
From birth my stone skin was (50,+2). Some time later, and I can't be sure how, it was +0. It was +2 for some time, though. It never really made sense. It always starts at +2 for me. I assumed it was disenchanted, but I often miss those decreasing equipment messages.
Thanks for the details. It allowed me to file a decent bug report.

Quote:
It wasn't the black market, it was the general store. Actually I wouldn't mind if they sold harmful mushrooms. I make good use of them coating weapons early in the game. but they seem to buy and sell only a couple harmful mushrooms and I just assumed that it was a bug.
General store is OK, too, at least some mutations of it. Currently only the mushrooms that do most damage are worth anything. There is a FR on Berlios to actually make (almost?) every item worth something, perhaps adding some utility, too, though mushrooms already are useful, at time, just as you say.

Quote:
In a similar vein, it would be a lot more useful if bags of harmful mushrooms showed up at shallower depths where I seem to find most of them. I've never found one early in the game, even though bags of helpful mushrooms show up around the Barrow Downs. -- could just be chance, I suppose.
Probably chance about Helpful Mushrooms --- I can't find them . Anyway, I've moved Harmful Mushrooms shallower, to the level of Bag of Supplies. There should be enough time for the fun of eating bad mushrooms, before the bad is found, anyway.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2008, 21:46   #32
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrugg View Post
One other thing I've noticed, playing as a ranger with a whole bunch of extra options in the magic shop. I went to vamperize a weapon, using the "Vampire's Kiss" service which claims "When purchased, it can enchant one weapon to become vampiric."

Sadly, it did not work as advertised and I ended up with water resistance the first time, resist disease the second time, and 8k less gold in my pocket. =(
You are right, water resistance doesn't fit and even resist disease is not that obviously "vampiric". I've fixed it, limiting the random choice of the flag to 4 items, some good and some bad. Good luck finding which are which, when gold3 is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrugg View Post
Perhaps the key word here is "can", which would translate to "not very likely, but maybe if you're hella lucky you'll actually end up with vampiric".
Rather, it is 'vampiric' in a broader sense, though some kinds of weapons that 'suck' from your opponents are included, too. Thanks for the report.
Old August 24, 2008, 03:40   #33
Tommy B.
Rookie

Tommy B. is on a distinguished road
Newbie, but not stupid

Happened across UnAngband tonight, used to LOVE Angband variants; this one looks interesting. Can't get it to run.

I'm on a PPC running OS X 10.3.9. When I double-click the UnAngband generic application icon from the download, I get the error message that it cannot be opened because it may be damaged or incomplete.

Years (years) ago, I installed Fink, but apparantly it's gone (maybe I had to fresh intall the OS? I forget), because I don't have the make command in my Terminal tcsh shell, so downloading the source to compile doesn't work (and Fink won't install on my machine; not sure why). It's been literally years since I played with Linux, so I don't remember half the commands.

Anyhow, does anybody have UnAngband gold 2 compiled for OS X and have it up and running on OS X 10.3 on a PPC machine? Any help would be great; I'd really like to play some good Angband. Email is fine.
Tommy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 07:04   #34
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
I compiled a copy for PPC macs, and you should be able to download it from here: http://www.ualberta.ca/~aphillip/sto....2-osx-ppc.dmg. I hope.

BTW, to the developers, the compiler complained about the line in Makefile.osx " ../lib/docs/*.rtf \". I changed it to " ../lib/docs/*.txt \" instead. Also the CFLAGS should probably have something like "-arch ppc -arch i386" added to them so that it's compiled as a universal binary so it will run on PPC and Intel macs. Take a look at the vanilla build - some changes to makefile.osx have been made in the last little while that might be good to update in un as well. But then again, I'm definitely no expert at programming and/or macs.

Last edited by Big Al; August 24, 2008 at 07:20.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 13:14   #35
Bandobras
Knight

Thanks a lot for that. Big Al, which version of sources is that based on? Tommy, could you confirm that the Big Al binary works for you?
Old August 24, 2008, 16:47   #36
Big Al
Swordsman

That's the source from gold2 linked to from the blogspot site at: http://prdownload.berlios.de/unangba...-gold2-src.zip

(I'm using Mac OS 10.4 - Tommy has 10.3 but I assume it will work since it's all PPC.)
Old August 24, 2008, 17:50   #37
baddog73
Apprentice

baddog73 is on a distinguished road
More notes on my games:

-Wolf, Grip, and Fang never show up any more. Is this right?

-Often one monster is left on my "display visible monsters" window (term-2 for me) when there really is no monster left.
baddog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2008, 18:38   #38
Big Al
Swordsman

- Unless something has been changed very recently, Maggot's dogs do show up, but they might be restricted to only appearing at a certain level of Maggot's farm I think.

- I thought that I had fixed the visible monster term window bug some time ago but evidently not. It's a problem of the window not getting refreshed when it should be. Can you narrow it down at all when the term window is showing the wrong monster? Thanks for the bug report.
Old August 25, 2008, 00:51   #39
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
- Unless something has been changed very recently, Maggot's dogs do show up, but they might be restricted to only appearing at a certain level of Maggot's farm I think.
Yeah. Only DL3 in all dungeons, unless there town at that level. Probably only 3 dungeons have such DL3: Farm, Bree and Isengard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
- I thought that I had fixed the visible monster term window bug some time ago
You might have, but you tend to apply patches to trunk and I merge only those to gold (unangband/unangband) that do not cause conflicts (lazy me)...
Old August 25, 2008, 03:10   #40
Big Al
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
You might have, but you tend to apply patches to trunk and I merge only those to gold (unangband/unangband) that do not cause conflicts (lazy me)...
I'm pretty sure that I (tried to) fix this before gold even came out. Why is there a gold branch and a trunk as well? Should I be adding patches to the gold branch too?