AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old August 25, 2008, 10:17   #41
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I'm pretty sure that I (tried to) fix this before gold even came out.
Hmm, gold branch was created just before gold1 came out. Perhaps rummage through the SVN logs?

Quote:
Why is there a gold branch and a trunk as well?
To let UnAndrew unleash his creativity and break everything that moves and simultaneously let me chit-chat with the lusers and fix their small problems on the spot, published in subsequent gold releases.

Quote:
Should I be adding patches to the gold branch too?
I think, bug-fixes and safe rebalances (safe, that is not introducing bugs; risking that they introduce other imbalances is OK, IMHO) and _very safe_ additional content should go to both branches. Other changes only to trunk (dev, unangband/).
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 01:27   #42
Lebannen
Apprentice

Donated: $20
Lebannen is on a distinguished road
I've been working on an updated Mac version of Unangband. A brief summary of what will have changed in the Mac version (I'll include a more complete changelist when I email the patch):

- Incorporates the last of Pete Mack's changes from Vanilla - graphics improvements and speedup, bugfixes, compiler warnings.
- Incorporates my changes from Vanilla - lots of bugfixes, interface work, sound improvements and speedups. Tweaked makefile, will also produce a universal binary.
- Includes a rough-and-ready isometric mode port - behaves very similar to the Windows port, except I've also improved display of iso tiles in secondary windows and made the cursor also behave as iso. This still is very experimental - I'll post my thoughts in the other iso thread soon.
- Separates Unangband identifiers from Angband identifiers - you will have to "Import" old save files once, they won't be recognised by "open".
- Improved higher-res main icon; new save, data, etc icons.

I developed this against trunk but thanks to Big Al's discussion above I've ported it to the downloadable gold-2 source. Would any guinea-pigs be willing to give it a go before I email in a patch?

The modified gold-2 is available at http://beent.je/Unangband-0.6.2-gold2-osxv2.dmg .

Last edited by Lebannen; August 27, 2008 at 00:28. Reason: Updating link to new file
Lebannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 03:12   #43
Tommy B.
Rookie

Tommy B. is on a distinguished road
Big Al, your MacOS PPC compile works just fine for me. Thank you very much for the download! WOuld recommend posting your compile to the Freshmeat or BerliOS or SourceForge site(s). Again, thank you loads.
Tommy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2008, 03:14   #44
Tommy B.
Rookie

Lebannen, your compile crashes on startup for me:
Thread 0 Crashed:
0 <<00000000>> 0x00000000 0 + 0
1 net.thangorodrim.Unangband 0x00001e40 _start + 0x2ec
2 net.thangorodrim.Unangband 0x00001b50 start + 0x30
Hope that helps.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:15   #45
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy B. View Post
WOuld recommend posting your compile to the Freshmeat or BerliOS or SourceForge site(s). Again, thank you loads.
Will do. To Berlios under gold2 title. Will be available from the other sources via links to Berlios, I suppose.

Lebannen, wonderful work! Is your version based on SVN unangband/unangband (that is gold3 WIP) or on pure gold2 sources?
Old August 26, 2008, 13:58   #46
Lebannen
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally posted by Tommy B
Lebannen, your compile crashes on startup for me:
<snip>
Hope that helps.
Having done some testing with a couple of machines at work, it looks like this is a problem with the compile on 10.3.9/PPC (10.4/PPC works fine). I'll take a look at this when I get home tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandobras
Lebannen, wonderful work! Is your version based on SVN unangband/unangband (that is gold3 WIP) or on pure gold2 sources?
The original version was based on SVN trunk. The version I posted was on pure gold2 sources.

When you say unangband/unangband - is that where the gold branch is kept on SVN? I was rather confused to see that duplicated structure there... that explains it!
Old August 26, 2008, 14:37   #47
Bandobras
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebannen View Post
The original version was based on SVN trunk. The version I posted was on pure gold2 sources.
OK. Then, when it's debugged, I'll put it on Berlios, too, but mark it gold2-UI-extras, because it's not pure gold2 sources any more (but none of the current gold3 changes, either). Then I'll merge your patches to trunk and to gold (please send me both patch versions, if you can) and so it'll appear in gold3 as well and in 0.6.3. BTW, you can put the patches and the binaries at ftp.berlios/incoming (can't remember the exact URL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebannen View Post
When you say unangband/unangband - is that where the gold branch is kept on SVN? I was rather confused to see that duplicated structure there... that explains it!
Yeah. Wicked, isn't it? Scares newbies witless.
Old August 26, 2008, 18:09   #48
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
I downloaded your version Lebannen, and it works fine on my Intel OS 10.4 machine. The isometric tiles are nifty! (Though if you make the tiles big enough to see, the text is far to big to read and vice versa.) It would be nice if the numberpad was automatically rotated 45 degrees when in isometric mode (ie. so that pressing 8 still make you move upwards on the screen) but I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly enough.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2008, 00:35   #49
Lebannen
Apprentice

TommyB: could you give this new version a try? http://beent.je/Unangband-0.6.2-gold2-osxv2.dmg

It appears that in a recent change to Vanilla, I'd actually used a 10.4+ function, and there ain't no compiler warnings. Oops. So thanks for catching that - both Angband and Unangband will benefit.

Big Al: Yeah, the tile size is a bit of an issue; in the newly posted version I've changed the isometric mode to use double-size tiles (I knew there was something I forgot to do). The windows port offers a bit more control; while the tile size options don't appear to do anything, it offers a "double size tiles" option an a "triple size tiles" option. In fact, one thing I really like: choosing a graphics mode on Windows resets the tile sizes and multiplication factor so that the graphics tiles are drawn at their native size. There's a lot less control available re fonts and tile size... but is that really needed if the default view looks so much better? Hrm. Might have to do a poll at some point...

Edit: have added a few general iso thoughts to http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=898#5 .

Bandobras: I'll wait to see if this one works for TommyB; if it does, I'll rustle up some patches and post them as you suggest. My quick tests of a big combo SVN patch appears to fail (bla bla chunk failed) because some files have LF line endings and others CRLF - is there a way around this, or shall I just send you the patches anyway?

Last edited by Lebannen; August 27, 2008 at 00:56. Reason: Added link to other isometric discussion thread
Old August 27, 2008, 01:06   #50
Tommy B.
Rookie

Lebannen, the last version you linked to runs just fine. Thank you very much, again. If others weren't following the thread, I'm running 10.3.9 on a dual 500MHz PPC Mac; so if other folks are on an old machine like mine, Lebannen's compile should get you your fix (as it were).

FYI, though, if you'll take a look at the autoroller, you'll see that as it goes it doesn't seem to free the previous SIZ roll, but instead adds it to the total. In other words, you'll watch the other attributes flicker their rolls by, but SIZ (in white, too) simply adds up and up and up with each roll. Seems to apply the correct roll to your stats just fine (not the sum total), but when rolling it does display a rolling total. Cosmetic thing.