Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 16, 2014, 17:44   #1
Sylverdin
Rookie

Sylverdin is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Vault Questions

So yesterday, I came upon three vaults at 800 feet that had granite walls instead of perma-walls. I didn't know that some vaults only had regular walls. At what depth do the vaults start having permanent walls with just one or two entrances?

Second question: I'm playing a priest, which I don't normally do. I can sense evil creatures, but not nasty animals (aka. acidic cytoplasms, time hounds, nexus vortexes). What are some good ways (aside from telepathy) to tell the full monster content of a vault before going into it being a priest?
Sylverdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2014, 17:54   #2
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverdin View Post
So yesterday, I came upon three vaults at 800 feet that had granite walls instead of perma-walls. I didn't know that some vaults only had regular walls. At what depth do the vaults start having permanent walls with just one or two entrances?

Second question: I'm playing a priest, which I don't normally do. I can sense evil creatures, but not nasty animals (aka. acidic cytoplasms, time hounds, nexus vortexes). What are some good ways (aside from telepathy) to tell the full monster content of a vault before going into it being a priest?
1) there are more than one type of vaults. Greater ones have permanent walls, others vary a lot. You can get GV at any depth below 250' but they become much more common deeper in dungeon.

2) Get Godly Insights or rod of detection. Other than that, you are in dark just like warrior about non-evil monsters.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2014, 17:55   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverdin View Post
Vaults don't work that way. Instead, there are classifications of vault: lesser, medium, and greater, which govern the size. Most lesser vaults have no permanent walls, and most greater vaults are mostly composed of permanent walls, but there's no guarantee. Depth, as far as I'm aware, only governs vault placement in that as you get deeper, the odds of generating a vault (of any kind) go up. Theoretically you could find a greater vault at 800'; it just would be extremely uncommon.

Quote:
Telepathy, a Rod of Detection, and the spell Detection from the dungeon prayerbook Godly Insights are basically your only options. The artifact helm Holhenneth also activates for Detection, too. But part of playing a priest (or paladin or warrior) is having to suffer without complete monster detection through the early- and mid-game.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote