Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 10, 2014, 06:42   #11
Remuz
Apprentice

Remuz is on a distinguished road
Just try not to do it too often, or you might end up lower than you want to be.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014, 08:13   #12
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raajaton View Post
I tend to avoid hellhounds entirely unless I have fire immunity. I don't believe they can even drop anything, and generally speaking the scrolls and staves they destroy is hardly worth whatever exp they offer.
They are not very tough to kill. With a fast killing method and double-resistances they don't burn much, especially if you use the pack AI in your advantage (they stay in a room, and don't chase you). Rods of acid balls and good bow & arrows makes them easy XP. I categorize them as minor nuisance.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014, 12:48   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
They are not very tough to kill. With a fast killing method and double-resistances they don't burn much, especially if you use the pack AI in your advantage (they stay in a room, and don't chase you). Rods of acid balls and good bow & arrows makes them easy XP. I categorize them as minor nuisance.
I don't know how much you've been playing lately; they got a buff in one of the last few versions and have considerably more HP than they used to (or else they show up sooner in the dungeon; same effective difference). They're noticeably more annoying to deal with, anyway.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014, 17:20   #14
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Timo, I have a new conduct run for you: blindfolded.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014, 23:30   #15
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I don't know how much you've been playing lately; they got a buff in one of the last few versions and have considerably more HP than they used to (or else they show up sooner in the dungeon; same effective difference). They're noticeably more annoying to deal with, anyway.
But in fewer numbers, I believe... [?]
I guess that's why I fight them more often now* - they're not level-killers any more.

* Just checked: my current rogue (cl40:dl69) has killed 18 of them. Mind you, I seem to be running low on arrows...
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 08:11   #16
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Same observation as MattB, in fewer numbers they are about same level of nuisance as they were before. Other hounds (zephyr) have got easier though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 15:38   #17
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
Where does the name Zephyr Hounds come from, anyways? I don't think I've seen it mentioned in-game. Is it a D&D relic?
Old July 11, 2014, 15:43   #18
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
Where does the name Zephyr Hounds come from, anyways? I don't think I've seen it mentioned in-game. Is it a D&D relic?
So far as I can tell, Zephyr Hounds are an Angband original, like quylthulgs. The word "Zephyr" is a reference to wind (if I recall correctly it was the name of a minor Greek god of breezes or something like that), which is why they all have breath attacks. Except Clear Hounds. Clear Hounds are kind of weird.
Old July 11, 2014, 18:42   #19
Narvius
Knight

Narvius is on a distinguished road
I know what zephyrs are I was a bit unclear, but my question was more about how does anyone use this name if it is never referenced ingame (or maybe it is and I just missed it).
Old July 11, 2014, 21:23   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
I know what zephyrs are I was a bit unclear, but my question was more about how does anyone use this name if it is never referenced ingame (or maybe it is and I just missed it).
Oh. Well, do you need the game to tell you that "p" means "human" or "h" means "humanoid"? They're race/species categorizations; attaching them to every instance of that race could get redundant.

Though I guess we could change zephyr hound monster names so that every instance of "hound" was replaced by "zephyr". E.g. Water Zephyr, Chaos Zephyr, Gravity Zephyr. I kind of like that idea, actually.