Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2019, 11:37   #21
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 73
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Note that the it would take at least 5 different screenshots to cover the contents of a character dump file: stats, resistance, inventory, equipment, home inventory, history. Possibly more if you play randarts (would also need the Inspect screen of each randart).
Ah... I see... I didn't even know what is in a dumpfile, which is why I thought a zip file would be easier, since I know how to create one of those already.

(I don't play anything but vanilla, so no randarts. :3 )
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 11:59   #22
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow the Dunadan View Post
Also I'm noticing some really odd behavior with jackals and cave spiders. They no longer chase you beyond the edge of the room they are in. Is that normal? I don't remember them them being so contained to their set locations before.

Yes, that's new behavior. They don't charge at you unless they can surround you. It's ambush-behavior.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 12:01   #23
Adam
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 87
Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow the Dunadan View Post
So, I'm guessing that 15-16 STR is no longer a sufficient starting STR stat for characters such as Dunadan Rangers (16), Half-Orc Mages (15), and High-Elf Priests (15).
I'm not sure how much experience you have with the game. I see you joined last month so maybe not that much. So I am just making guesses
From my experience when I started playing this game one of my problems connected to low STR was the speed problem because I carried everything I found. Watch your speed. If you start to have -1, -2 or worse, start sorting out what you need and what you don't (average ammo, extra heavy weapons and armors, staves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow the Dunadan View Post
Yeah, my characters were getting killed by stuff like molds/jellies, centipedes and I think jackals early on. But I have selling on, so I don't start with much money. And with the shops being pretty scarce as far as starting equips, it's hard to get just basic armor and a decent weapon (if a dagger or mace isn't going to cut it for whatever character I'm playing). Sometimes I can't even buy a sling or short bow because I focus on body armor.

Also I'm noticing some really odd behavior with jackals and cave spiders. They no longer chase you beyond the edge of the room they are in. Is that normal? I don't remember them them being so contained to their set locations before.
Molds and jellies usually do not move, just don't stand next to them. I'm not sure if you know that, if you have ammo, you can throw it with the 'v' command even if you don't have a launcher. Less effective, but against immobile monsters it may be enough. You can also just leave them alone, they usually don't mean much XP and they don't drop anything.

Jackals (and later hounds) have this logic since very early versions I think. They come to attack you if you are in a room but don't follow if you go into a corridor. Unless you go below 50% of your HP in which case they still follow you.

When buying your starting equipment, body armor is not always the good choice. For example mages don't want to go to melee range, so they don't need armor. They need cure light wounds potions and phase door scrolls.

You don't need to kill everything you see, just leave monsters which are too dangerous or don't worth killing.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 12:30   #24
Grotug
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,112
Grotug is on a distinguished road
The following is copied verbatim from a quick google search for the term 'ignorance':

ignorance

noun
lack of knowledge or information.
"he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"
__________________
Detailed account of my Ironman win here.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2019, 13:17   #25
Pete Mack
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,154
Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Sparrow--
My apologies; no insult was intended. That post was meant as a stronger suggestion to actually post a character dump. Without one, nobody will be able to help you very well, because we can't actually see what you are doing.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019, 11:09   #26
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 73
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Yes, that's new behavior. They don't charge at you unless they can surround you. It's ambush-behavior.
Ah, that's an interesting concept, makes 'em a bit harder to deal with in early levels, but it's more realistic in a sense.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2019, 11:34   #27
Sparrow the Dunadan
Apprentice
 
Sparrow the Dunadan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Olympia, WA
Age: 40
Posts: 73
Sparrow the Dunadan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm not sure how much experience you have with the game. I see you joined last month so maybe not that much. So I am just making guesses
From my experience when I started playing this game one of my problems connected to low STR was the speed problem because I carried everything I found. Watch your speed. If you start to have -1, -2 or worse, start sorting out what you need and what you don't (average ammo, extra heavy weapons and armors, staves).


Molds and jellies usually do not move, just don't stand next to them. I'm not sure if you know that, if you have ammo, you can throw it with the 'v' command even if you don't have a launcher. Less effective, but against immobile monsters it may be enough. You can also just leave them alone, they usually don't mean much XP and they don't drop anything.

Jackals (and later hounds) have this logic since very early versions I think. They come to attack you if you are in a room but don't follow if you go into a corridor. Unless you go below 50% of your HP in which case they still follow you.

When buying your starting equipment, body armor is not always the good choice. For example mages don't want to go to melee range, so they don't need armor. They need cure light wounds potions and phase door scrolls.

You don't need to kill everything you see, just leave monsters which are too dangerous or don't worth killing.
Yeah, I've been playing various vanilla versions for probably off and on for about 20 years (Started playing Angband way back in the 90's on a Mac). Sometimes there's been 5+ years between game plays and versions though.

Yes, I've noticed recently, that even if I'm not slowed, if I'm carrying heavy stuff like a mace or heck even a pick, it can effect my hit ratio against their miss ratio (at least how I'm understanding it.)

Yeah, I try to stay away from jellies (molds are less of a problem except the ones that cause confusion) if it can be helped, but the problem is sometimes I can't get ranged equips at the beginning of the game because of lack of money, or they just aren't available.

Yeah, the jackal/hound thing is new and I think was part of my problem in earlier gameplays that I later deleted. Because I was getting surrounded by them the moment I got into the room (because they would linger out of light sight if I managed to get to a corridor).

I haven't playing a lot of mage types unless I go Kobold or something tougher like a gnome or dwarf. I disagree that they don't need body armor. They do because there will be situations where in early levels you can't just spellcast things to death (because you don't have a lot of SP to begin with). Though that being said. Body armor should be only lighter wear like robes, and maybe soft leather later on. Which is what I look for. I usually don't bother with shield until later if I am a mage.

Again with potions and scrolls, you can't buy a lot without it costing a bunch early game when you don't have money. I try to play cost conservative, just so I can build bank to get those good early BM items and enchanted items.

But yeah, I do need to know when I'm over my head sooner. I tend to get a bit bloodlusted when facing a item/treasure drop enemy early game. (What can I say, I got a greedy gut... must be the dragon in me. XD )


Oh, I do know about the throw command, but like I said, sometimes I'm not able to buy either a sling or bow early game because of the stupid store doesn't have one.... so I usually don't think to just buy ammo to throw. I guess I kinda derped on thinking about that.

Anyway.... thanks for telling me about the Jackal/hound behavior and about the STR:WT ratio. I will keep that in mind on my next character build.
Sparrow the Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.