Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 10, 2019, 23:58   #311
Youssarian
Scout

Youssarian is on a distinguished road
In the black market today, a ring of the mouse was for sale for 0 gold. It was already in the store, not something I tried to sell.

I bought it for 0 gold. Still feel I got ripped off though.

Also another bug it seems. I found the gauntlets paraegen and equipped them to my necromancer. It has +1 light under its powers. Now as I walk walls don't show up at all. The path I walk down is highlighted the way it does for a necromancer, but nothing else. It's the same way when a person moves without a torch or light source.

I took off the gauntlets and it returned to normal when walking and highlighting the walls and environment.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Last edited by Youssarian; April 11, 2019 at 03:25.
Youssarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2019, 06:19   #312
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Did something change with the spread of monsters in pits? Ant pits for instance seem to have a lot more silver ants then before. Is this because of the code which makes low level monsters rare in the late game? It's the only thing I can think of that might be doing this.

Taking a look, it changes the probabilities in the allocation table? Does this change all monster placement including pits/vaults/summons?

Last edited by wobbly; April 11, 2019 at 06:27.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 14:43   #313
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
The primary thing was confusion about who could read what books. Previously all casters could read all books of their realm; with the current situation, at least full casters still can.

I'm certainly open to re-reverting this depending on how people feel about it. Maybe I should start a thread specifically for how to handle books and what their names should be.
Other than making it so that it was harder to find spellbooks you could actually use in the dungeon (which could theoretically be fixed by just spawning more books or preferentially spawning readable ones), my primary issue with the half-caster spellbooks was that it wasn't easy enough to identify whether I'd be able to read a book or not. In shops I ended up buying expensive books that it turned out I couldn't read because e(x)amining them there didn't tell me.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019, 15:11   #314
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Started to port some of the new stuff for PWMAngband. Already found something that got wiped in the process:

commit a5a39d2 (Improve monster detection code, add detection of living monsters)

When detecting invisible monster, the lore telling that the monster is invisible isn't updated anymore.

before: rf_on(lore->flags, RF_INVISIBLE);
after: nothing
Old April 13, 2019, 08:37   #315
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for Rangers, currently lacking imo

I liked the nerf of rangers when it came. Competed an ironman run soon after and it felt quite balanced. However with then new nerfed (NOT!) monster and spell list I'm not all that happy. Basically (ironman) I need to carry three launchers and three sets of ammo (max 40 per stack) to be effectively a Ranger. But then there is no room for devices which doesnt help and I get slow. Mostly I just end up with an inventory quarter full of useless stacks of ammo (waiting for a decent launcher) and meleeing the crap out of most foes. Not that the ranger is bad at melee and the stealth sure helps. Its just it feels like a rogue, not a ranger. Also, the spellboks are useful but a bit boring.

Some ideas of spells that would help (we may have to work on the names)

* Early Spell "The big Short" that improves your short bow efficiency in an interesting way, e.g.
  • Allow the bow to shoot also iron shots and pebbles
  • Increase to-hit with a decent number, not sure what is decent but thinking a fixed value of at least +20 since this is mostly useful early on

* Early Spell "The Silence of Lambs" that improves your short bow efficiency in an interesting way, e.g.
  • Increase your stealth by at least +3 while a short bow is equipped until the next melee attack or it times out

* Later Spell "Thé OooLong" that improves your long bow efficiency in an interesting way, e.g.
  • Allow the bow to shoot also bolts
  • Decrease chance for ammo to break

* Mid level Spell "Shoot 'n scoot"
  • Charges the short/longbow with a phase door to immediately follow the next shot

* Another possible early Spell is the "22 bullets", useful if above is not implemented
  • Converts any ammo to what your current launcher needs. Decent chance of converting slays e.g. (35 + level)% and e.g. (50 + level)% of to-hit and to-dam.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 11:02   #316
wobbly
Veteran

Has shield bash been fixed yet? I can see a change in the code here, but in-game I've had the next turn after every stumble. It's hard to tell if it's working as intended & I'm getting lucky or still broken.
Old April 13, 2019, 18:22   #317
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Shoot 'n 'scoot sounds fun -- it forces some interesting decisions, and requires the player to be prepared. However, I am afraid that for most of the game rangers will just buy ?phasedoor and largely ignore it.

The other spells sound odd from a purely mechanical point of view (a bow shooting a rounded pebble?), but I realize the problem. Maybe it's time to restore good old (+0,+0) ammo creation for the ranger? Or to give them again a higher +shoot bonus with a bow, to force launcher selection for the endgame?
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2019, 20:43   #318
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
With access to shops it works as is. Its just no longer a fun class to play with norecall.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 02:09   #319
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
Balance observation for Druids... in the early-mid 30s for CL, around DL40 give or take, it's starting to be a fair challenge to find good damage output as I haven't found the last dungeon book yet. Maybe that's ok, and the solution is dive (carefully) for the last book? I'm finding I have to abandon a fair number of fights at this point though, for better or worse. Also, there doesn't seem to be any good source of "un-resistable" damage, a-la magic missile or mana bolt, for those occasional annoying baddies who seem to resist everything. I end up relying on wands for most of those.
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2019, 18:49   #320
wobbly
Veteran

Not sure if anything can shapeshift into an invisible monster (I think the enchantress can?) but the messages behave strangely in this circumstance.

So visible -> invisible - It shimmers and turns into "invisible monster name".
Invisible -> visible - No message.