Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old November 22, 2018, 23:17   #11
Narry
Scout

Narry is on a distinguished road
Grats on the win! Less than 30k turns... wow... that is impressive indeed.

I don't think I've ever had more than 1,100 HP. I'm at 904 with my Hobbit Warrior atm. Need to get my CON up a bit.
Narry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 01:10   #12
Grotug
Veteran

Grotug is on a distinguished road
My warrior was quite healthy considering he still had 3 more levels to gain. May have cracked 1300.

Last edited by Grotug; November 23, 2018 at 16:38.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 16:30   #13
Grotug
Veteran

Welp, I'm at it again. This run is going exceedingly well. No speed items, but all the finds I needed despite *crash* diving and not exploring levels.

FrAct--check
rBase--check
rPois--check
Ring of Dam--check
good light weapon--check
see invisible--check
telepathy!--check

My strategy was simple: I got lucky finding a ring of pois in the Black Market and a good artifact rapier so I bought a bunch of ?mapping and just beelined to the stairs and teleported if they weren't nearby and then proceeded to pick up very good items.

Youtube video: *crash* diving
Old November 23, 2018, 16:35   #14
Grotug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Where are your spellbooks?? Doing without Resistance, brand ammo, haste, etc is nuts!
Sorry, I just saw this post. I should have clarified. The subject of this thread says hobbit ranger, but the speed run attempts were done with Half Troll Warrior.
Old November 23, 2018, 18:50   #15
Grotug
Veteran

Continuing to crash dive. Find myself way too rapidly on DL82. Had found a wand of TO around DL60 but only 6 charges so I hem and haw as to whether I kill the colbran with seeker wounding arrows or TO it. Since I only have a few charges, I figure I better save them for high value targets and hope some other metal object is destroyed. I don't need to continue this story. You are all familiar with it, Colbran casts a bolt of lightning and your wand of TO is destroyed... Shortly after my staff of speed backfired when attempting to recharge it and no potions of speed.

But, as things were starting to look dire again, running around teleporting self, trying to keep away from all the nasties Ar Pharazon summoned like Dracolich and Hurumaur of Dur and to pick up wounding arrows and trying to finish off Ar PHarazon who keeps summoning nasties... at one point I was running down a corridor from Hoaramur of Dir who was hot on my tails to inspect some object in a room when, I approach it, Bingo, wand of TO 11 charges! Two levels after I pick up a ring of speed <+11> on DL75! No vaults since the only one I raided on DL30something, but still the dungeon is providing and keeping me alive. Most of my artifacts have been dropped.

on the ladder: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22110
Old November 23, 2018, 22:54   #16
Grotug
Veteran

Things have finally started to improve, and <+2> Extra Attacks armor (good AC, too!) mean my measly 1d6 spear now does decent damage. And a staff of summoning netted increases in speed and lightning/fire immunity.

and I didn't see Huan coming. I never see him. He always blends in. Gah, right after making key gains to my character like two !Augmentations, that super armor and the lightning/fire immunity. It's so classic; that rush of confidence and excitement when you reach the turning point in the game where you can feel confident at any depth, and the guard comes down. And again, was waiting for recall to kick in. Decided to teleport out of the vault to see if there might be any useful stuff to grab while waiting. Oh, look, a potion of experience. Tsekalus summons master dreadlords. While I'm dealing with those I don't see Huan saunter up to me and breathe shards as soon as he sees me. I had 497hp. Yeah, I'm slightly annoyed right now.
Old November 24, 2018, 08:21   #17
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
I recommend trying this with standard artifacts, or no artifacts at all. If you're winning in 30K turns, you have pretty much solved the game. But randarts are kinda broken just now, so standarts might be more challenging.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018, 12:33   #18
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
There is an option to display all uniques in purple.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018, 13:01   #19
Grotug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
There is an option to display all uniques in purple.
Mmmm... true. I wonder if it's possible to make them neon green or bright pink? (ala Netherwraiths and Lorgan). I probably wouldn't miss a bright green C coming at me. I see that in-game you can modify the colors or load a pref file. What would be the best way to change uniques from purple to bright green? Thanks!

I probably should have done this eons ago. I do like that I can tell which unique it is based on its color, but it's true, how many times do I start whacking away at the presumably young or mature black dragon, when it's our lovely friend Kavlax? Yeah, given that this adventurer has -2 to INT, I probably should have all uniques bright green.

In other news, my latest reckless diver is doing very well. No great weapon yet, but bought another ring of rPois in the BM and picked up a (+18) extra might light crossbow. A Xorn nearly killed me, though. Gave me terrible trouble. ?phasing does nothing. Meleeing was just too pathetic against him. It was virtually impossible to get him into pelting distance. Although I should have been firing bolts not meleeing him as my bolts do more damage than my main gauche. I teleported away right next to a deathmold pit! Wow, that was something. Never seen one of those before. Yikes! DL41 level 8 danger feeling. Seems like it should be a level 12 feeling. If I had teleported inside the pit it would have been gg (although, in truth, I suppose it's impossible to teleport inside it).

Anyway, I healed up some, teleported back to the xorn area. Quickly he is on me again. So I !heroed, engaged in some rather pathetic melee action, but just one bolt took one third of his health, sending him fleeing. But, yeah, I'm at DL43 and just over 10K turns.

Last edited by Grotug; November 24, 2018 at 13:11.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2018, 20:52   #20
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
The monster definition file in the edit file defines monster glyph and color. Sometimes these are inherited from monster class but I don't recall if this is relevant for uniques or not and no angband on this computer.
This means that, although tedious, you can make all entries for the unique monsters to be exactly as you want them.

Myself I just go for the purple and the shimmer options already available
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote