Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old February 15, 2019, 18:05   #11
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Amusingly, Easterling Warrior is a very new name. Until recently it was 'hardened warrior' or 'swordsman.'

Last edited by Pete Mack; February 15, 2019 at 18:16.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2019, 18:38   #12
NightLizard
Rookie

NightLizard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
Angband’s lore destruction

But currently there are coming changes to monsters and races (game's lore actually) which are NOT liked by a lot of players.
From this thread and the thread where Nick proposes the changes I think it looks like it is quite well received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
Angband’s lore destruction

This changes pushed by huge Nick's authority, which he absolutely deserved by his work on the game. But what is more important: Nick's authority or Angband itself?
He doesn't change by "authority". He openly describes his ideas, asks for feedback and really listen to what the community say. And it seems these changes are mostly met by enthusiasm.

It is natural to have reactions to change. I also think "but I was used to that..." when I see a change (lore or not), but all that is being done is to make the lore more consistent and to make Angband feel more like Angband. The changes are also quite humble, and as others mentioned: things have changed before.
NightLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2019, 18:43   #13
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Other people have addressed other parts of your post, so I'll limit myself to this:

It's good to care deeply about the game. That's great! Angband is a great game and people are passionate about it. And it's good to have strong opinions about what the game should be like, and to like or dislike changes that are made to the game. Just recognize these two facts:

* Just because you don't like a change doesn't mean it is necessarily objectively a bad change.
* The instant Angband stops changing is the instant it dies.

It is quite literally impossible to please everyone with every change, and I daresay it is similarly difficult to not displease someone with every change! But change is vital to keeping the game alive. If it stops changing, then there stops being much to talk about, and eventually the community peters out. It might take years, decades even considering how long Angband has been around, but it will die eventually so long as it is not a "living document".

Considering that change is vital, then, you have to take the bad with the good. Some changes are going to displease you. Ideally you will find the majority of changes pleasing, not least because the maintainer typically only works on the game because they want people to play it.

But please do not scream to the heavens about how Angband has been ruined by the latest change that you personally do not like. If you can't convince people with calmer arguments, histrionics are unlikely to do any better.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2019, 19:14   #14
Pete Mack
Prophet

More notably, besides the nazgul, none of these changes is particularly good. And Uvatha really is too weak, though I am not sure they should go all the way to dl70.
Old February 15, 2019, 19:37   #15
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
+1 to everything Derakon said. Tangar, once again your post is quite offensive, perhaps without meaning to be, but offensive nonetheless. And how is that you have the end-all-be-all survey of what "LOT'S" of Angband players feel about the changes? If anyone's posts smack of being power-mad, it's yours!
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2019, 19:42   #16
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Dammit, Nick.
Old February 15, 2019, 20:03   #17
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
See, thats funny because lore does nothing for me. Id be ok with angband being based in space or on discworld. But as a long time D&D GM we all assume that all fantasy world components exist in all fsntasy worlds - maybe just in a different geographical location. Tolkien lore, greyhawk lore, norse myths, greek myths, ninjas, hobbits, kendars; obviously if you walk north long enough, you'll bump into Thor. Go east far enough and there's Amaterasu, you can't miss her.
Old February 15, 2019, 20:51   #18
Pete Mack
Prophet

D&D has evolved a bit since those days, too, I would imagine. And the main goal isn't to get rid of D&D monsters. It is to get rid of monsters that are redundant or really don't fit--the giants from ancient Greece don't fit. Norse would be so much better.
Old February 15, 2019, 21:28   #19
takkaria
Veteran

takkaria is on a distinguished road
As a previous maintainer I mostly want to keep out of the way of Nick and give him latitude to make the changes he wants to make. Tangar, I am familiar with the type of post you make from spending years changing the game in various ways - there is always someone who feels that one particular change or set of changes irrevocably alters the game for the worse, turns it into a variant, etc. Sometimes it's warranted, sometimes it's not, but either way, the way Angband has worked for the last 25 years (!) is that the maintainer gets the final say as long as there is dialogue with the players.

The monster list hasn't had a good looking at since before version 3 (17 years ago! good lord), when the JLE patch was incorporated into the main game, while most other areas of the game have been altered. So it's definitely due this rework. I never really bothered with monsters because I didn't think I had a good enough feel for those things, and anyway, the object list was more urgent then.

I remember being told I had destroyed the flavour of the game when I removed the various 'broken' items in the game - rodent skeletons, kobold skulls, broken daggers, etc. Sometimes I think it would really be nice to re-incorporate those some other way, but the game has been enjoyed by many thousands of people since they were taken out, mostly without them noticing.

The other option, of course, if people want to re-add monsters, or even do their own rebalancing, is to make a patched version of the monster file. There is a precedent in Angband that when people put effort into a patch and people like playing with it, it gets added into the main game. If you really miss Easterling warriors, the Greek myth uniques etc., after the whole of the monster list rebalance is finished and other people do too, they can be added back. But I think it's good that the flavour of the game changes over time - like Derakon says, Angband will die when it's not updated with changes that some people feel are controversial (and I think it came close to dying once before, 13-ish years ago, for exactly this reason).

Last edited by takkaria; February 16, 2019 at 01:19.
takkaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 02:31   #20
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by takkaria View Post
I remember being told I had destroyed the flavour of the game when I removed the various 'broken' items in the game - rodent skeletons, kobold skulls, broken daggers, etc. Sometimes I think it would really be nice to re-incorporate those some other way, but the game has been enjoyed by many thousands of people since they were taken out, mostly without them noticing.
Rodent skeletons are the real reason so many of us play FCPB these days.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote