Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old March 18, 2019, 15:34   #11
Sphara
Adept

Sphara is on a distinguished road
You're doing great so far. Teleport staff and that great Wormtongue-dropped mace are excellent finds. You do have teleport spell in your WoW-book at home (Portal) but staff can be used while confused so stick (no pun) with it.

Under weaknesses I'd put wearing the chain mail. Extra AC is nice but it slows you down and lowers your spell points. Wearing lighter armor and switching reckless attack into another protection ring you would get you pretty close to your current AC and hasten up. -2 speed for a new player is really bad and you don't want to encounter your first sabre-tooth tiger or 3-headed hydra walking around slowed like that. (+3, +4) slaying is also pretty lousy trade-off for -17 AC. Not so much if you keep using your bow, though.

Also I'd drop everything Adam already mentioned, at home. You don't need Elvagil after finding that mace and Rilia-dagger but might as well keep it as a souvenir

I'm waiting for your reaction on your first breathing hound pack encounter. Those things are nasty (Light and Dark ones in lesser extent) and start appearing soon.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 06:08   #12
wizard44
Apprentice

wizard44 is on a distinguished road
Alright everyone! Nedandon has managed to clear D:22, meaning it's time to post the next part for realignment with you guys.

Complete N00b'€™s Journey: Part 2-3

So, I read the replies and stashed the chain mail (and switched back to the leather armor), 4 flasks of oil, the ring of Reckless Attacks, 7 scrolls of Satisfy Hunger, and Elvagil. Enchanted my mace to (+4, +9) with my regular scrolls of Enchant Weapon To-Dam, then used the scroll of *Enchant Weapon* to enchant it up to (+6, +9), which is honestly not bad of a number. Also bought a potion of Resist Fire and quaffed it to improve my identification purposes. With that, I began a fresh run, this time to D:22. Thanks to the sense surroundings spell, I quickly found the downstairs to D:15, which had nothing of note, and my sense surrounding prayer allowed me to quickly find the stairs and get to D:16. D:16 was more of the same, so I decided to quickly descend to D:17, which had Orfax, Son of Boldor to greet me. I also found a Wand of Wonder and had a brief bit of fun with it against some yeeks. I also found an amulet of Inertia as an alternate source of Free Action, and discovered that one of my arrow stacks was ones of Slay Animal, which I used to kill Orfax. He dropped a Soft Leather Armour of Resist Cold [8, +5], which provided me with better AC than my current Leather Armour did. After an encounter with an umber hulk that proved to be trivial thanks to mushrooms to resist confusion that I found, I proceeded to D:18. Other than that, nothing else of note was encountered or found. On D:19, I had my first taste of energy hounds, who thankfully went down to arrows of Slay Animal with ease. I also found that my second stack of arrows was arrows of slay demons upon use towards tengus. Funnily enough, after clearing the room, I found the Dagger "Dethanc€" which provides lightning resistance. I also found a fresh supply of standard arrows so I can save the slaying arrows for bigger things. Nothing else was found on that level, which allowed me to descend to D:20 with ease. I also went to level 20 by clearing a mass of forest trolls, which dropped a wand of slow monster and a scroll of banishment that was identified by equip id (which I used on trolls just for kicks). D:20 was host to Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief, who went down to orb of draining. His drops included a Leather Scale Mail (-1) [20, +6], which provided me with quite a bit of AC improvement, and the Pair of Leather Boots of Radagast [2, +12], <+1. +3, +5> (to wisdom, stealth, and infravision respectively). Other stuff that I found and identified there was a ring of Escaping, a rod of Treasure Location, and a ring of Protection [14], which was honestly not a bad haul. Upon descent to D:21 I found a book of Prayer [Exorcism and Dispelling], which I used to learn the prayer of Dispel Undead, and some scrolls of enchant weapon to-hit, which I used towards my arrows and my mace. I found and quaff-id’d a potion of Nimbleness, which decreased a point of strength on my end, which really screwed me over in terms of burden load. I found a ring of Acid€™ [+8], which was a strictly better selection than my ring of protection [+6], a staff of Sleep Monsters and an everburning Lantern. During a battle with a druid, my book of Exorcism and Dispelling was destroyed. As a final, more pleasant surprise of the level, I quaff-id'€™d a potion of Contemplation, which improved my wisdom as an expense to my dexterity.

Heading to D:22, I found an amulet of Wisdom, which was a huge help for prayers. I also got ambushed by a pack of water hounds, who luckily went down to arrows of Slay Animal, and eat-id'€™d mushrooms of emergency. I ran into Bolg, Son of Azog, who went down to repeated Orbs of draining fueled by my potion of Restore Mana. Unfortunately, nothing good came out of Bolg'€™s drops. After the encounter, I found another copy of the Exorcism and Dispelling book and promptly learned the Heal prayer. I then use-id'€™d a Staff of Slow Monsters and dispatched Boldor, King of the Yeeks, which dropped the Chain Mail of Arvedui (-2) [40, +15] <+2 Strength>. After discovering a Staff of Starlight, I ran straight on into Ulfast, son of Ulfang, who dropped a pair of leather boots with unknown properties and less AC than my Botts of Radagast. I also ran into Brodda, the Easterling, who went down and dropped a Maul of Slay Demon (4d4) (+2,+1). I picked up a rod of Lightning Bolts and began exploring the rest of the level, discovering a ring of the Mouse and dropping it. I finished off the level by dealing with Ufthak of Cirith Ungol and by read-id’ing a scroll of Enchant Armour towards the Hard Leather Cap of Wisdom. Being at character level 22 when I cleared D:22, I opted not to reload the level and Recalled back to town, where I bought 40 standard arrows, bought a potion of resist cold, a scroll of holy chant, a scroll of recharging, and a scroll of monster confusion, the latter four for identification purposes.

So the next goal for this guy is to reach and clear D:29.

Right now, the questions for you guys are these:

Is it worth the penalty to wear the Chain Mail of Arvedui? Or should I just stick with the armor that I am wearing right now?

Which weapon is better for me to wield:

The Dagger "Dethanc"€™ (2d4) (+9, +12) [+10]
The Dagger of Rilia (2d4) (+14, +13)
A Maul of Slay Demon (4d4) (+2, +1)
A Mace (Defender) (2d4) (+7, +9) [+3] <+4>

I can buy the following notable items from the black market now:

A wand of Stone to Mud (7 charges, 1215 au)
A Staff of Speed (7 charges, 8100 au)
A Ring of Free Action (1500 au)
A set of Leather Gloves of Free Action [1, +6] (7332 au)
9 potions of Cure Critical Wounds (600 au each)

Which items should be prioritized? In particular, I am interested in which slot Free Action is best towards.

I'm also interested in finding out which items should be stashed/taken with me right now.

Is quaff-id'€™ing the way to go for any potions that I find in the future, or is it too risky at this point? What about read-id'€™ing scrolls?

Which creatures should I look out the most in this level range? And which monsters should I actively seek out to level up quickly?

The current status of Nedandon has been updated, and I would appreciate any answers to the above questions!

Last edited by wizard44; March 20, 2019 at 01:07.
wizard44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 08:02   #13
Gauss
Scout

Gauss is on a distinguished road
Since you already have free action from boots and can see invisible as a high elf, i would use the longsword Evalgil since it has the highest dps of all weapons aviable.
Gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 08:38   #14
Mondkalb
Knight

Mondkalb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss View Post
Since you already have free action from boots and can see invisible as a high elf, i would use the longsword Evalgil since it has the highest dps of all weapons aviable.
Yeah, but only if you use Arvedui to cover resistances. You have to try, if your char is strong enough with the additional strength bonus.

Also, hand gear of free action is always a good choice, in case you swap other sources out (like with the defender if you choose to use Elvagil).
There are only a few very good gloves/gauntlets and most of them also grant free action.
The boots of Radagast are not bad, but you will eventually exchange them with boots of speed.

OTOH, Elvagil might be not a good choice because of the priest spell failure penalty for using it (being an edged weapon).
Mondkalb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 09:18   #15
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I almost guarantee dethanc will do more damage once the brand is ided. I'd wear Arvedui and then it'd be a toss-up between lightning bolts from dethanc or stealth and regen from the defender. I suspect I'd use the defender in the end. I'd also be grabbing the speed staff and trying to collect recharge scrolls.

I think you've got a bunch of good options though and no "right choice".
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 09:25   #16
Mondkalb
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
I almost guarantee dethanc will do more damage once the brand is ided. I'd wear Arvedui and then it'd be a toss-up between lightning bolts from dethanc or stealth and regen from the defender. I suspect I'd use the defender in the end. I'd also be grabbing the speed staff and trying to collect recharge scrolls.

I think you've got a bunch of good options though and no "right choice".
Dethanc also comes with the spell failure penalty ...
Old March 19, 2019, 09:29   #17
Adam
Apprentice

Adam is on a distinguished road
I don't share the above opinion about using Elvagil but different people have different play style (and I'm not experienced with priests I must say).
I myself prefer ranged attacks so I would use orb and the bow whenever possible (especially if you don't know which monsters have draining attacks). Though priests have the worst shooting skill as I remember. When you don't miss basic arrows do twice the damage as Elvagil if I read correctly.
Your defender is the only source of regen which also regenerates mana points, not only HP. It also provides +4 stealth (+2 compared to Elvagil) and rBase (slowly you'll meet breathers so it may matter).
Dethanc can be a useful switch early when you find pits or big packs. 6d6 beam damage in a long corridor every 6-10 turns is good.
Rilia would cover rPoison and big poison breathers will come at about DL 35.
You can also carry light swap weapons, all the daggers are just 1-2 lbs.

If you quaff-id potions be prepared that 3 other stat-swap potions are still unknown (+STR, +INT, + CON). They all lower one random stat. I would take the risk. Other potions do not hurt and soon you'll find stat potions. You'll waste one of each big healing potions but that's not a problem in my opinion.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 09:40   #18
Mondkalb
Knight

As PowerWyrm stated in his comment on the ladder, the basic wisdom of 13 is puny and potions of contemplation would be very useful now.

The priest has lame fighting and shooting abilities and only starts to deal out damage once he has OOD.

Adam is probably right about sticking with the defender weapon, both because of regen and stealth. You may want to be as stealthy as possible until you get some decent spell point store.
Old March 19, 2019, 14:32   #19
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Impressive, especially with such terrible starting stats. Usually people put nearly all points into STR and WIS, and put what's left into CON. Then use OOD and archery for most of the game, until DEX gets high enough for multiple blows.

Keep Arvedui for when you find a better weapon, though a +4 Defender is extremely good for early priest or mage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2019, 15:01   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
I don't think I've ever used Elvagil.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote