Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2011, 18:33   #1
UglySquirrell
Swordsman
 
UglySquirrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 293
UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Randarts

Just wondering, is the amount of weapons and armour completely random, or based off the standart game. So in a regular game say there's 30 artifact pieces of protective gear (gloves, shields, armour,helms) and 60 artifact weapons. Will there be the same number in a randart game, or is it possible to get all weapons or armour. Hope this makes sense
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 21:36   #2
fizzix
Prophet
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, US
Posts: 3,001
fizzix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Just wondering, is the amount of weapons and armour completely random, or based off the standart game. So in a regular game say there's 30 artifact pieces of protective gear (gloves, shields, armour,helms) and 60 artifact weapons. Will there be the same number in a randart game, or is it possible to get all weapons or armour. Hope this makes sense
There are the same number of total randarts. Each randart is 'based' off of a standard artifact, in the sense that the power of the standard artifact is computed, and the randart is constrained to have similar power.

The special artifacts, (lights, rings, amulets) are constrained to have the same number. Just like there's only one necklace in the standarts, there will be one in randarts. However, for weapons and armor, there is only some specifications to ensure that there is a reasonable number of each type (boots, gloves, shields, bows, etc.)
fizzix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2011, 23:33   #3
UglySquirrell
Swordsman
 
UglySquirrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 293
UglySquirrell is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzix View Post
There are the same number of total randarts. Each randart is 'based' off of a standard artifact, in the sense that the power of the standard artifact is computed, and the randart is constrained to have similar power.

The special artifacts, (lights, rings, amulets) are constrained to have the same number. Just like there's only one necklace in the standarts, there will be one in randarts. However, for weapons and armor, there is only some specifications to ensure that there is a reasonable number of each type (boots, gloves, shields, bows, etc.)
Thanks that clears it up a lot.
UglySquirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011, 12:33   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglySquirrell View Post
Thanks that clears it up a lot.
This is a VVVVFAQ. Pav - is there a good way to group these kinds of questions together in a way that's easy for people to stumble across it? Some forums have a sticky at the top that says "read me first" or similar. If you're interested I could put a bunch of FAQs in there.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 22:03   #5
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 38
Posts: 777
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I don't think that forums should play body double to the proper documentation. Adding a chapter on randarts to in game docs sounds like a better idea to me. Or is this level of info considered too spoily for that?
__________________
See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 22:44   #6
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
I don't think that forums should play body double to the proper documentation. Adding a chapter on randarts to in game docs sounds like a better idea to me. Or is this level of info considered too spoily for that?
I didn't mean a FAQ about randarts, I meant the things that get asked time and time again on the forum because people can't find or don't read the previous threads on the subjects. "How do randarts work?" is one, "how do I fix the walls in Vista?" is another. There are a couple of dozen that might help people's experience. Yes these could be in src/faq.txt (and indeed many already are), but a lot of people post first and read docs later.
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 22:51   #7
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 38
Posts: 777
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Oh yes, that vista thing keeps on coming up again and again. I could be persuaded to sticky that one if someone points me to a good writeup.

But note that I like sticky threads as much as takkaria likes options...
__________________
See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 22:55   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 53
Posts: 7,174
Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
There used to be an Angband FAQ that got posted to rgra every so often. Could there just be a sticky FAQ here somewhere? Preferably somewhere where it didn't get answered like a regular forum post?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 22:58   #9
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,057
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
There used to be an Angband FAQ that got posted to rgra every so often. Could there just be a sticky FAQ here somewhere? Preferably somewhere where it didn't get answered like a regular forum post?
Thanks Nick - that's what I was trying to suggest.

Pav - surely one sticky FAQ is better than a whole load of sticky threads for FAQs?
__________________
"3.4 is much better than 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3. It still is easier than 3.0.9, but it is more convenient to play without being ridiculously easy, so it is my new favorite of the versions." - Timo Pietila
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011, 23:03   #10
pav
Administrator
 
pav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Prague, Czech republic
Age: 38
Posts: 777
pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Threads can be locked to prevent replying, so that would work. Thereby I declare magnate a keeper of a FAQ. Post it as a new thread and I'll set the magic forum flags on it...
__________________
See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz
pav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Randarts... Fendell Orcbane Vanilla 50 September 6, 2010 22:27
Cambeleg x Randarts ClaytonAguiar Vanilla 13 May 6, 2010 10:31
Randarts dhegler Vanilla 5 March 10, 2010 19:30
Randarts dhegler Vanilla 30 November 5, 2009 22:51
[FA] Cursed randarts Psi Variants 3 May 25, 2007 15:36


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.