AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 14, 2021, 09:13   #1
Mantis
Rookie

Mantis is on a distinguished road
Consumable Usage

Greetings,

I've been thinking of doing a very limited consumables run, as it's sometimes a little immersion breaking to be swigging potions while a horde of orcs is ineffectually poking at you. At first I thought of just imposing a rule upon myself that I couldn't use any potions or herbs while opponents were adjacent. However, I wondered if it would be possible to insert an option that opponents get a free attack, as with archery, if you consume potions / herbs while adjacent to them? This would make slinkers a bit more attractive versus stabbers I suppose, and would reduce tactical decisionmaking options in some circumstances.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2021, 03:02   #2
bron
Knight

Location: Saratoga, California (in the midst of Silicon Valley)
bron is on a distinguished road
I admit I don't quite understand the problem. Drinking or eating takes a turn, after which the bad guys get to attack you again. You want to give them yet ANOTHER chance to attack?
bron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2021, 14:19   #3
Mantis
Rookie

Mantis is on a distinguished road
It was an inelegant solution for a problem that only exists if you dislike the notion of swigging a potion while ducking the swing of an orc's scimitar. Obviously just renaming potions to one-use charms also works! I suppose that a thematic way of approaching tweaks in game mechanics would be for potions to be unusable in combat but to give slight bonuses to stats for a somewhat longer duration than at present. In combat I find abilities like song of staunching and strength of adversity to be very thematic and in tune with the fiction - like Hurin calling out as he smites his foes for example. But the game is great fun as it is anyway, and I suppose I should just try a singer next.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote