Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 4, 2010, 06:53   #1
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
device activation

So I fixed a divide-by-zero crash that I encountered on device activation.

I also changed the max fail rate from 95% down to 75% on devices. I figure that's still hard enough that it isn't making things too easy, but it reduces the number of times an activated ability is completely useless. This is particularly apparent with DSM.

Changes are both available in r1984.
Old July 4, 2010, 10:07   #2
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
So I fixed a divide-by-zero crash that I encountered on device activation.

I also changed the max fail rate from 95% down to 75% on devices. I figure that's still hard enough that it isn't making things too easy, but it reduces the number of times an activated ability is completely useless. This is particularly apparent with DSM.

Changes are both available in r1984.
Well done on spotting the bug - what were the circumstances of the crash?

The change to max fail is minor and presumably benefits only warriors and very low INT priests or paladins. I suppose it will help all classes with very early finds of nice activatables.

P.S. I notice your comment about using something a little less convoluted for the failure rate - it took me months to get to that formula! Please see http://www.terminalarrogance.com/devices.xls for all the working and the desired bounds. The challenge is to get a formula that makes the skill meaningful without either gimping warriors or making life too easy for magi. The alternative was to edit tables.c and completely re-do the skill range and INT mods - which I would have done if I hadn't hit on this formula. But happy to see it improved, as always!

Last edited by Magnate; July 4, 2010 at 10:23.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2010, 13:14   #3
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
From looking at the changelogs, looks like it crashed when the device's level was exactly 90 points higher than the player's skill, 90 being the difference between the diff_max and skill_min variables... Looks like someone got extra lucky early on in finding a device!
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2010, 14:49   #4
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekolis View Post
From looking at the changelogs, looks like it crashed when the device's level was exactly 90 points higher than the player's skill, 90 being the difference between the diff_max and skill_min variables... Looks like someone got extra lucky early on in finding a device!
Yes, I worked that out after posting. I hadn't realised that could happen, so that was a good catch by d_m.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2010, 16:10   #5
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnate View Post
P.S. I notice your comment about using something a little less convoluted for the failure rate - it took me months to get to that formula! Please see http://www.terminalarrogance.com/devices.xls for all the working and the desired bounds. The challenge is to get a formula that makes the skill meaningful without either gimping warriors or making life too easy for magi. The alternative was to edit tables.c and completely re-do the skill range and INT mods - which I would have done if I hadn't hit on this formula. But happy to see it improved, as always!
Honestly that comment was just pithy because it took me a long time to figure out what was going on. I will probably just replace the comment with a description of how the formula works. Sorry for the noise