Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 8, 2014, 01:34   #11
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
With no way of detecting drolems, it's probably a good idea to where it all the time. IIRC they'll start showing up occasionally if not now then very soon, and they will 1 shot you atm with no poison resist. If you find a rod of detection, I would probably just keep it around as a swap, so long as you detect often enough.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 02:13   #12
Mark
Adept

Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikter View Post
I found a Ring of Resist Poison so I assume I just wear it and proceed cautiously hoping to eventually replace it with something less awkward?
That's what I would do; certainly I feel it is likely to profit you more than +stat, even tho what you have is presumably very helpful for blows/round.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 02:23   #13
Rikter
Rookie

Rikter is on a distinguished road
The plus stats is what gets me to 4 blows per round but my damage doesn't fall that much with poison resist which I've started using. Also should I use Chaos resist or shards resist?
Rikter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 05:21   #14
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
  • Prize these things (i.e. get if you possible can, wear if you have, spend money on to acquire if possible)
    double resistances for base elements
    poison resistance (this isn't simply 'just another resistance', it's generally acknowledged as *the* most necessary resistance after the base four)
    nether resistance
    Ability to probe monsters (if you don't have full monster knowledge) (this unlocks full monster knowledge for each probed monster)
    Detection (telepathy ideally, but generally more = better)
    Some good Escapes (scrolls of teleport, etc)
Nether is luxury resist. You don't need it, but if you can get it without sacrificing other things then use it.

High resistances in general are there to block side-effects more than damage. For example nexus resist prevents you to get teleported around/level or stat scrambling, chaos prevents hallusination, xp drain and confusion from chaos, dark and light prevents blindness from light & dark respectively and so on. All that nether does is prevent XP loss from nether, and that is not dangerous side-effect. Damage reduction is secondary to side-effect prevention. Just get high HP (600+) to survive full-strength breaths.

Poison and basic four are only resists which you want for damage prevention. All of those have so high damage cap that surviving full power breath is difficult if not impossible without resist (fire, cold and elec make up to 1600 points of damage unresisted. Acid gets halved by armor to 800 and poison cap is 800).

For early warrior I would value (after basic4&poison) nexus highest, because stat-scrambling for low saving throw char is too likely and can really ruin your char. Also unwanted relocation in dungeon can be deadly. For warrior where you fight your fights is probably more important than for any other class.

Boots of stability (as swap if not main) are good thing to carry around.

After that it's pretty much your choice what to get. For me disenchantment resist is something I try to fit into equation because it is really annoying to get your artifacts disenchanted even slightly. Not deadly though.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 06:29   #15
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Also worth remembering that in Vanilla, Scrolls and Potions have 0% failure rate (although you can't read scrolls while blind or without light), and Staves can be used while blinded or confused but have a fail %, but you may know this.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 07:48   #16
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
re: what to do at dungeon level 40?

Hi there,
some thoughts from me. I think Chaos and Nexus are the most deadliest attacks because of their side effects. Nether is not deadly but for me as Player extremly de-motivating, if you loose XP and have to grind (=repeatable kill stuff over and over just for the XP) to compensate for it. You have see invis and free Action to prevent paralysis and surprise attacks from invisible Monsters. So if you have enough HP you can go deeper down. Telepathy is good to avoid larger Groups of Monsters which can walk through walls and suddenly can surround you. I would always prefer telepathy over more damage / more Speed. If you stay Close to stairs you always have good chances to flee if things start to go wrong. You should look for a rod/stave of teleport other. If there is a single too strong enemy it is best to teleport it away and leave the Level. The second most deadly Thing is that something teleports you to it's Location and the retreat to the nearest stairs is blocked. I always try to have 1-2 staves of teleportation with me. If nothing goes, try to teleport away and with luck you end up in a quite Corner where you can either eal up or read a scroll of recal. I have ususallly 20-30 cure critical potions with me. They are half-way good to heal wounds, but more important to cure confusion. Rods of healing, identfy and haste should come Handy for a warrior type.

Cheers & Good luck, Tibarius
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 13:56   #17
Rikter
Rookie

Rikter is on a distinguished road
And a Master Mystic got a single turn in melee and proceeded to permastun me until I died. Is there any way to get around that attack or is it never let him get in melee range?
Rikter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 14:20   #18
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Only way to avoid that is to have Stun resist (generally very rare), or avoid them completely. I've lost plenty of characters to master/grand master mystics from being stun locked to death. At this point I generally avoid them completely until late game when I can 1 shot them, or if I'm playing a character that can burn them down from range. Even still they are obnoxious to deal with because they heal themselves and summon monsters. Very dangerous baddies.

Sorry for your loss
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 14:32   #19
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
A few things to note:

1) Whenever you get stunned, cure it immediately. Stunning sucks; it makes you worse at almost everything (penalties to-hit and to-dam, worse failure rates on spells/wands/staves/rods, etc.). A Cure * Wounds potion will clear it right up, and you should absolutely never go into the dungeon without a healthy stack of those; I generally aim for 15.

2) Stunned is a prelude to heavily stunned, which is even worse in its effects, but heavily stunned also leads you to being knocked out, which is typically fatal. If you aren't in the habit of immediately curing stunning, then its effects will tend to make the fight you're in drag on (since its penalties make you significantly worse at killing things).

3) A high AC can help against mystics; if they can't hit you then they can't help you. It's no panacea, but if you absolutely have to kill a Master Mystic then wearing heavy armor can make a difference. Especially if your normal armor is a robe or soft leather or something.

4) I think regeneration helps stunning clear up faster on its own. But you shouldn't rely on that. Always carry curing potions.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2014, 14:51   #20
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikter View Post
And a Master Mystic got a single turn in melee and proceeded to permastun me until I died. Is there any way to get around that attack or is it never let him get in melee range?
You don't get KO in single monster turn unless you are already stunned or get hit by multiple attackers at once.

MM must have been faster than you. Lesson to learn: if it is faster than you, assume it can kill you.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote