Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old April 9, 2011, 22:25   #61
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
The nature of these problems, where you sample from a distribution and count the number of times you improve the best seen so far, is that you really can't change the total number of useful items much at all unless you crush the variance. The only practical way to make slay troll more useful, useful defined as you might carry it and use it, is to make other things comparatively less useful, probably by making them deeper so you are less likely to use them when you find them.
Yes, I agree with you here. I should have said that other things (like brands and *slays* and artifacts) need to be made rarer/deeper, as well as (or instead of) making the weaker slays more common earlier.

Also, I apologise for misrepresenting your position. I had forgotten that you are indeed focused on squelching, not on junk per se. This is partly why I said (in another thread) that I usually stay out of squelching debates - I took from Leon Marrick a desire to make squelch unnecessary, though I know it is not achievable.

Monster-specific ESP is definitely good too.
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011, 04:18   #62
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Slay orc and troll are victims of the combat system; at the early time where orcs and trolls present a challenge, youre likely using a dagger with damage rings and (+x,+y) gloves where a "slay" isnt going to add much. The slay/brand ride to power happens later with the heavier weapons, and by that time orcs and trolls are usually trivial foes.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011, 04:52   #63
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
I've sort of been gently agitating for pushing back the good gear anyway. The 1000'-2000' region gets a lot more interesting when good gear is scarce; in standart games that's usually when you start finding a whole bunch of bread-and-butter artifacts that drastically increase your power level. Delaying that means taking on the monsters in that part of the game with egos instead.
Isnt everyone diving these days ? You dont want people to town-scum for scrolls of deep descent to get to the place where the good gear actually drops.
Yes, the most interesting part is when you dont have gear and still need to find it, but as a diver you dont spend any amount of time in an area where you cant get gear.
Im not saying pushing back the gear level is going to be bad, Im just saying it might have other consequences than people spending more time with bad gear in the 1000' - 2000' region.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011, 04:58   #64
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Isnt everyone diving these days ? You dont want people to town-scum for scrolls of deep descent to get to the place where the good gear actually drops.
Yes, the most interesting part is when you dont have gear and still need to find it, but as a diver you dont spend any amount of time in an area where you cant get gear.
Im not saying pushing back the gear level is going to be bad, Im just saying it might have other consequences than people spending more time with bad gear in the 1000' - 2000' region.
Diving doesn't mean you can ignore everything around you and just cherry-pick the gear you want. You still spend non-negligible amounts of time in the dungeon dealing with enemies. Also, typically diving doesn't really get started until you've done a decent job of maxing your important stats and have a fairly reliable offense of some description -- both things that won't have happened by the time I'm talking about.

And I don't think people will townscum for Deep Descent just because gear isn't available.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2011, 09:21   #65
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
Slay orc and troll are victims of the combat system; at the early time where orcs and trolls present a challenge, youre likely using a dagger with damage rings and (+x,+y) gloves where a "slay" isnt going to add much. The slay/brand ride to power happens later with the heavier weapons, and by that time orcs and trolls are usually trivial foes.
This is a very good point. Definitely time to revisit fizzix's AC branch (where slays don't change damage dice but bypass absorption).
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011, 21:17   #66
Rivendell
Rookie

Rivendell is on a distinguished road
Used a scroll on dlvl 50 and got "Dal-i-thalion". I got the scroll much earlier, but after reading this thread I decided to keep it in my house for awhile, then use it when I was deeper.

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11318
Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011, 23:14   #67
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
To add to the acquirement fun; I found a scroll of *Acquirement on level 60, read it immediately (I never save these anymore, dying when one is sitting at home is too sad). They normally are worthless, but this time I hit the jackpot:
Katana of Venom (+10,+9)
Blade of Chaos (Holy Avenger) (+10+18) - 206dmg vs evil
The Mace of Tarialen (8d4) (+5,+39) [+10] <+3>
Conjured forth by magic at 3000 feet (level 60).

+3 strength, charisma, infravision, speed, attack speed.
Slays animals, evil creatures, orcs, trolls, giants, dragons.
Branded with weak acid, frost.
Provides resistance to lightning, fire, dark, disenchantment.
Provides protection from blindness, confusion.
Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
Sustains intelligence, dexterity.
Grants the ability to see invisible things.

When activated, it heals cut damage, and cures stunning, poison
and blindness.
Takes 91 to 100 turns to recharge at your current speed.
Your chance of success is 93.3%

Combat info:
7.0 blows/round.
Average damage/round: 610.4 vs. animals, 610.4 vs. evil creatures,
610.4 vs. creatures not resistant to acid, 756 vs. orcs, 756 vs.
trolls, 756 vs. giants, 756 vs. dragons, 756 vs. creatures not
resistant to cold, and 464.8 vs. others.

That damage is with NO off weapon bonuses - rings, headgear or anything else. I haven't used a weapon for combat since my first ring of escaping, may need to switch that up soon.

More on the ladder:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11324
________
SexyCara cam

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:01.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2011, 23:28   #68
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Holy crap dude.

The RNG only gave you that to tempt your scrawny bookworm hobbit skin into melee range, y'know. My latest warrior would have loved to have had that kind of damage output.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2011, 01:18   #69
Taha
Adept

Taha is on a distinguished road
Two levels later, a lesser balrog dropped an artifact boots with +13 speed. The weapon and these boots are the only speed items seen this game other than rings of escaping and teleportation; if I wasn't a mage I would have been dead long ago.

The damage output is amazing; after killing things with acid bolt all game this does 10 time the damage.

Now to not get overconfident. My scrawny bookworm hobbit skin is still instakillable by a whole range of deeper monsters.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by Taha; August 14, 2011 at 15:01.
Taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011, 22:27   #70
gudjkrist
Rookie

gudjkrist is on a distinguished road
Just to average out that amazing "The Mace of Tarialen", I got a throughly unimpressive "Leather Scale Mail of Resist Cold [20, +6]. Still, it's better than my current armor.
gudjkrist is offline   Reply With Quote