Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2011, 04:21   #1
fruviad
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 53
fruviad is on a distinguished road
An auspicious beginning...

With my previous rogue having met an untimely death (stupid time hounds!) I upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.3.1, created a new rogue, and walked into the dungeon.

I was attacked by Smeagol before I got to the second room of the first level. I barely managed to kill him by throwing a dozen flasks of oil at him, followed by a lot of (thrown) iron shots.

This pushed me straight to level 6 and left me in the possession of a Scimitar of *Slay Evil* (+4, +8) that gives +2 wisdom and prevents paralysis.

Wow.
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2011, 11:04   #2
ghengiz
Adept
 
ghengiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Roaming in Terry Pratchett's Discworld
Posts: 178
ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
With my previous rogue having met an untimely death (stupid time hounds!) I upgraded from 3.1.1 to 3.3.1, created a new rogue, and walked into the dungeon.

I was attacked by Smeagol before I got to the second room of the first level. I barely managed to kill him by throwing a dozen flasks of oil at him, followed by a lot of (thrown) iron shots.

This pushed me straight to level 6 and left me in the possession of a Scimitar of *Slay Evil* (+4, +8) that gives +2 wisdom and prevents paralysis.

Wow.
Great drop! don't be too overconfident though, in my experience the more the RNG is gracious to you in a given moment, the more dangerous a situation he's going to put you in in the not-so-far future (I lost sooooo many characters for over-exicement )
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011, 18:20   #3
Tiburon Silverflame
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 405
Tiburon Silverflame is on a distinguished road
The RNG wasn't being nice in giving him Smeagol that early. And a scimitar is reasonably heavy, so it'll only be a 1-attack weapon, I expect, for quite a while. If it had been a dagger or rapier, I might agree the RNG's just gave compensation for the nastiness of the fight. But as it is...it's a good, useful weapon, but with some flaws for this stage. (FA in particular isn't important for quite a while.)

Making level 6 is particularly sweet, tho. The only downside is, making 7 is gonna be real slow.
Tiburon Silverflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011, 20:25   #4
Starhawk
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis IN, USA
Posts: 246
Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
With my previous rogue having met an untimely death (stupid time hounds!)
Doesn't that make it, in fact, a very timely death?

*rimshot*
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011, 20:38   #5
bonzo
Scout
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 43
bonzo is on a distinguished road
Take that, RNG!

Hey, those are well earned levels. You should be proud. I think I would have just stabbed a couple times and welcomed the death that I thought fate was demanding.
__________________
NPP(0.5.0-BETA6) D "Daith" KoRo L:36 DL:50 A+ R+ Sp w:The Two-Handed Sword of Cutur (3d6) (+18,+16) (+2)
En/NPP(Un/Cr/Do) L H- D c-- f PV+ !s d P++ M+
C-- S- I-- !So B-- ac GHB- SQ+ RQ V

The Angband Code
bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011, 20:42   #6
debo
Veteran
 
debo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,386
debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
With my previous rogue having met an untimely death (stupid time hounds!)
Did you do that on purpose?
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011, 21:10   #7
Timo Pietilš
Prophet
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Climbing up from hole I just dug.
Posts: 4,096
Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiburon Silverflame View Post
The RNG wasn't being nice in giving him Smeagol that early. And a scimitar is reasonably heavy, so it'll only be a 1-attack weapon, I expect, for quite a while. If it had been a dagger or rapier, I might agree the RNG's just gave compensation for the nastiness of the fight. But as it is...it's a good, useful weapon, but with some flaws for this stage. (FA in particular isn't important for quite a while.)
Good thing with early high-damage mid-weight weapons is that with Rings of Mouse you might now get more blows with them without losing too much to_dam which would have been impossible with lightweight low-damage multi-blow weapon. This is the part of the game where I find those better than damage-enchanting rings like Dog and Reckless attacks.

Mouse DEX and Stealth bonus usually make them worth using at some point of the game, you just need to get the best DEX-bonus with as low to_dam penalty as possible. A combination of Dog and Mouse might also work better than two Dog or two Mouse.

Usually a branded Katana, Cutlass or Tulwar or similar around 10lbs weapon is better though. 15lbs might be a bit too much unless you already have very good DEX and find two good Mouse rings.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012, 03:42   #8
fruviad
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 53
fruviad is on a distinguished road
Note to self: The next time I come across a level that gives me an anxious feeling and includes (among other things) 4 greater basilisks, I should just LEAVE. IMMEDIATELY!!!
fruviad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2012, 10:05   #9
ghengiz
Adept
 
ghengiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Roaming in Terry Pratchett's Discworld
Posts: 178
ghengiz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruviad View Post
Note to self: The next time I come across a level that gives me an anxious feeling and includes (among other things) 4 greater basilisks, I should just LEAVE. IMMEDIATELY!!!
perhaps through the ceiling (or floor) with a teleport level
whatever you do, just don't panic and run in circles, nor fake death. unfortunately the monsters do NOT get confused by that
a better idea (perhaps for a variant?) could be to choke some potion of resistance, speed, berserk and become a super sayan, but still it's not a fail-safe solution
ghengiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.